My Money Pit

124»

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited August 2007
    Thanks for the kind words. It's always a pleasure to help somebody out when they need it. Happens all the time here at CP. Darla, PM sent and if I can assist with anything else, just let me know. ;)
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited August 2007
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Thanks for the kind words. It's always a pleasure to help somebody out when they need it. Happens all the time here at CP. Darla, PM sent and if I can assist with anything else, just let me know. ;)

Ok. If I buy your ticket will you come and rebulid my room with CBS? :D
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • treitz3
    edited August 2007
    The trailer with all my tools won't fit on the plane:rolleyes: , besides, I haul on average close to 10,000 lbs. The airlines won't take to kindly to that!:eek:
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited August 2007
    Ok..Any insurance agents or attorneys here?

Unfortunately, unless it was pro-bono, you most likely would end up paying more to litigate than to repair yourself. Your state may vary with recouping the legal fees.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • wingnut4772
    edited August 2007
    1st contractor came out today and said the whole thing needs to be rebulit with permits to do it right and it would run in the neighborhood of 35-40K depending. He said he could 'rig' it but could would not advise to do that. The insurance co. Is sending a mold expert on Friday to test and determine the water source.

Needless to say, I don't have 40K to fix it properly and at this point I am in tears and thinking of just giving the house to the bank I am so upset.

The appraisal when we bought the house lists all exterior walls as CBS. I am going to present this to my attorney on Thursday.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited August 2007
    Darla,
    Sorry to hear about all this. What did the survey say when you bought the house? If this was an extension that was built later on, the original survey woid omit it, but the one produced for the title company had to have it on there, with its construction type. I too bought my house in 2005. The previous owner built a small attached utility closet onto my back porch out of plywood. It is listed on the survey as plywood construction, the rest of the house is CBS.
    V
  • treitz3
    edited August 2007
    Needless to say, I don't have 40K to fix it properly and at this point I am in tears and thinking of just giving the house to the bank I am so upset.
    I hope that you are not serious, Darla.:eek:

You don't have to rebuild the whole thing. You can, but that's not necessary. From my end, you just have to re-route the gutter to have water drained away from the house and then ripout/replace that one wall, and around the corner a little bit. Have the roof repaired, windows and the sliding door repaired/replaced. Then concentrate on making the seamless repairs, both interior and exterior.

I would advise trying to find a contractor that can replace the framing and footer in the damaged areas, rebuilding from there. A good contractor will be able to do this using hydraulic jacks without ruining the ceiling and roof.

By the way, pardon my ignorance, but what is CBS? I am not familiar with that term and you have used it frequently.
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited August 2007
    Concrete Block and Stucco
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • treitz3
    edited August 2007
    The appraisal when we bought the house lists all exterior walls as CBS. I am going to present this to my attorney on Thursday.
    Thanks edbert, now this ^^^ makes much more sense.
  • phoneisbusy
    phoneisbusy Posts: 867
    edited August 2007
    Damn wingnut4772,

If it means anything I'm praying things look up for you.

regards

Dave
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.
  • wingnut4772
    edited August 2007
    Damn wingnut4772,

If it means anything I'm praying things look up for you.

regards

Dave

Thank you it means a lot actually.
    treitz3 wrote:
    I hope that you are not serious, Darla.

Sigh ....That's how I feel..but I feel a little better now as my neighbor actually offered to help me rebuild the wall etc. He has done additions to his house and he is offering to help for the cost of the materials - wood for now.
    I think I am going to take him up on it(depending upon what insurance co. says)and keep you posted, Treitz if that's ok.

The G.C. today said that one option is to put in a 'ground gutter' of sorts in front of the wall to avoid standing water and to slope the patio away from the house. That and any stucco work we will have to pay someone else to do but my Neighbor (Eric) can frame and do the windows and electric. (he is actually a former electrician and a fellow Po Po.:)
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• treitz3
    edited August 2007
    Of course it's OK, Darla. I told you I won't let you down and I'm going to keep my word. Kudos to Eric! Glad things are looking up for you [at least a little bit].;)
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,211
    edited August 2007
    I would get a diy book on remodels or repairs and start pounding nails. Winters already here in seattle. You can do as good a job as half the contractors out there. And it wont cost half as much. A friend had the same thing happen in thier house. Ask friends to help and it will get done.
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • wingnut4772
    edited August 2007
    Ok. The expert was here today for 4 1/2 hours!:eek:

He was actually a really nice guy and I think I may have cost BOSE a future sale but I digress..:p

He definitely said that there was water infiltration from sitting water at the base of the room. The patio area actually slightly slopes toward the room and the end with the worse damage is actually lower than the dryer end. He saw the windows leak though and said that was a major contributing cause.

He recommended the ground gutter thingie as well and said he was surprised that we did not have one.

Anyhoo, he said it was fixable and the roof was dry and that we probably did not have to remove the entire wall but he would leave that up to the contractor to see if it needed that or not. I am thinking if I am reconfiguring the windows we may as well.

We also need to redo the pool patio a bit so it drains (slopes) correctly so that is an added expense.

All in all, it could be worse I suppose.

Now I just wait and see if the insurance company is gonna chip in at all...and hopefully not cancel me.:(
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited August 2007
    Good Luck and prayer sent.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • wingnut4772
    edited September 2007
    Can you believe the insurance company still has not let me know if they are going to cover anything??:eek: :mad:
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited September 2007
    That's because they are busy trying to find everything that they can tell you they WON'T cover! Aholes!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • wingnut4772
    edited September 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    That's because they are busy trying to find everything that they can tell you they WON'T cover! Aholes!

Maybe they are just trying to figure out where they are going to get all the money they are going to give me.:D
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited September 2007
    Maybe they are just trying to figure out where they are going to get all the money they are going to give me.:D
    Yeah, that's the ticket! :D
  • treitz3
    edited September 2007
    Did they at least give you a timetable of progress? Have you requested to your agent to have this case put on the "fast track" as my agent says? It sure has been a long time going on this.....

Any update as to whether or not your attorney can help out on his aspect of the CBS thing?
  • wingnut4772
    edited September 2007
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Did they at least give you a timetable of progress? Have you requested to your agent to have this case put on the "fast track" as my agent says? It sure has been a long time going on this.....

Any update as to whether or not your attorney can help out on his aspect of the CBS thing?

Yes. He said that I was SOL and that there was a two year statute of limitations.

I guess I wil give my agent a call on Monday. I have been patient enough. Initially they said about 3 weeks.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch