Growing grass

2»

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited August 2007
    Willow wrote: »
    thx Phuz !

Anytime. Also try to find out what types of pests and fungi are native to your area and treat for them. You're up north so your grass and care program will be completely different than mine, but it internet will deliver all the info you need!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,685
    edited August 2007
    The dog wee-wee (oui-oui?) has high concentrations of nitrogen (ammonia, nitrate, purines or pyrimidines) as well as high salt. These are what kill the grass.

FWIW, we've been using a "green" lawn care service (low-nitrogen, organic fertilizer, corn gluten for pre-emergent control, and bt and nematodes to control pests). We DON'T have an irrigation system, though, so in hot weather things get kind of parched. The back yard still looks better than the front, but not nearly as nice as they did in May/June. It's always the same :-)
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited August 2007
    Last night I was cutting the grass, then I hear this crunch kinda noise, there was nothing.....till later. I ran over a damn frog. There is a man made lake down the street with lots of ducks. frogs and herings. In the past month being there I have not seen a live frog. That was till yesterday and he was half alive:( :o . So back to the grass, the front is great and growing very well. The back there is only that 1 patch.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2007
    That's probably not even Hardy's lawn. It's probably a shot of his neighbors or something.

There is no rhyme or reason to grass over the long term. Sometimes it grows great and stays great, sometimes it doesn't. For about 15 years I flew with a guy named Al Carter. His full-time job was grassologist or something like that for Tuckahoe Turf Farms, Tuckahoe NJ. When we had some kind of official agricultural/knowledge exchange with China in the early 90's, Al was one of the people who represented team USA. Then he retired and started his own place after 40 years with TTF. Turf & Farm, Hammonton, NJ is where he's at now.

You plant grass seed on 15 September. For every week before or after that, you can expect 10% less seed to germinate. Plant on either 15 Aug or 15 Oct and you can expect 40% less seed to mature.

If the **** burns out, don't walk on it too much and it'll come back next year.

If it looks burnt but is still standing straight up, it's still alive underneath.

If it looks like it's hay colored and burnt, but it lies down flat all the time, you're screwed. Maybe a fungus from watering too much.

These are just SOME, of the cold hard facts of the grass world. It's tough out there.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,685
    edited August 2007
    All of George's advice seems sage. Not that sage is grass, except 'way out West.

It is too my lawn. Waaa. It usually looks like that for about two weeks every year. For some reason, though, I continue to pay people to take care of it; just to get that two weeks, I guess.

Oh, and we cut it ourselves... I actually like cutting grass.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2007
    Isnt everything natural in the end :):):)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2007
    Willow wrote: »
    Not that kind, our new place has some dead grass patches.
    We bought some seed and some earth. We have had luck in some areas but others look like crap. Just looking for tips on growing/starting grass seed.
    Overall our lawns look much better but it could look that much better due to some of those dead patches.

thanks

Maybe you are trying to grow the wrong kind of "grass" *wink* *wink*

I dont think the 5 leaf kind will mix well with the typical lawn grass :)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited August 2007
    Silverti wrote: »
    Maybe you are trying to grow the wrong kind of "grass" *wink* *wink*

I dont think the 5 leaf kind will mix well with the typical lawn grass :)

You'd be surprised what will grow, especially in our back yard. It slopes a tad towards a drain, the grass in that area is always 4-5x longer than the rest and much more green. Tis the place where we will plant our garden next year.

So how do we check for grubs and such, as it's only in this one area ? about 2ft long by 1.5 ft wide. The rest of the grass around it is great.

Thanks GG for those tips, will give it a try!