The new iMac, what do you guys think?

mutelight
mutelight Posts: 1,054
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
http://www.apple.com/imac/

Personally I think it looks simply stunning. We bought my mother the generation before this one and I can attest for that one being a fantastic machine. :cool:
// Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
// Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
// Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
Photo Gallery
Movie and Game Collection
Post edited by mutelight on

Comments

• Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited August 2007
    That does look stunning man....My mom has one of the last generation iMacs, and it really is a nice machine....
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited August 2007
    Its nice looking, but nothing new. Not very cutting edge, particularly for Apple.
  • mutelight
    edited August 2007
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    Its nice looking, but nothing new. Not very cutting edge, particularly for Apple.

I was waiting for a comment like that. :D

When you find another manufacturer that makes a machine that capable in a package like that in an aluminum case and glass screen. Let me know. ;)
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2007
    We all know that real MEN (err women to) put together their own BOX's... to bad apple doesnt let you :)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited August 2007
    This wasn't supposed to be an all new form factor, just a tweeking. I 'd enjoy having one for doing the magazine layout each month. But, overall, I like my iBook just fine, sitting any where I want, especially with the main rig.

Funny thing, by chance I was in the back office of a credit union on the coast today. Two of the top three officers had Macs. Normally, everybody is on the same platform in a financial institution. The reasons why make for interesting speculation.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited August 2007
    Mac's are coming on!
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited August 2007
    I'm a Mac fan, but I don't like compact all-in-one desktop computers. They have all the problems of laptops with none of the advantages. I can tolerate hard to service designs and fiddly little parts if I can carry the computer around, but if it's going to sit on the desk forget that.

The Rev. B CRT iMacs were a real pain to work on. Especially after the analog boards started going bad and they were the last part to be removed after a complete dissasembly.
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited August 2007
    John in MA wrote: »
    I'm a Mac fan, but I don't like compact all-in-one desktop computers. They have all the problems of laptops with none of the advantages. I can tolerate hard to service designs and fiddly little parts if I can carry the computer around, but if it's going to sit on the desk forget that.

The Rev. B CRT iMacs were a real pain to work on. Especially after the analog boards started going bad and they were the last part to be removed after a complete dissasembly.

+ 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.

Of course, don't listen to me. I haven't serviced an iMac in 4 (???) years.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited August 2007
    Is the iMac used in conjunction with the iPimp and iHo?
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited August 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Is the iMac used in conjunction with the iPimp and iHo?

Sort of, you gotta pay the iPimp license before you can even touch iHo
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • POLKOHOLIC
    POLKOHOLIC Posts: 407
    edited August 2007
    can a man get married to a computer?...legally?
  • AALEE
    AALEE Posts: 51
    edited August 2007
    If you can't spring for the I-book then go for the MacBook. I love mine, it is faaaaaassssttt and smaller than the clunky dell insperation that I thought was up there. Great unit.
  • Shizelbs
    edited August 2007
    mutelight wrote: »

When you find another manufacturer that makes a machine that capable in a package like that in an aluminum case and glass screen. Let me know. ;)

Well, while I try to find a specific example, how about the fact that the new iMac is basically a non mobile version of a tablet PC without any of the touchscreen functionality? Its basically a laptop with a swivel mounted screen fixed to a stand.
  • Shizelbs
    edited August 2007

Well, you got me on the aluminum, but I do believe the current Sony VAIO LS series of computers fits the rest of the requirements.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665089229
  • mutelight
    edited August 2007
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    Well, you got me on the aluminum, but I do believe the current Sony VAIO LS series of computers fits the rest of the requirements.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665089229

That's pretty good. :cool:

Unfortunately it has a smaller screen which isn't glass, slower CPU clock speed, no wireless N support, no gigabit ethernet or firewire 800, slower DVD DL burner, no mention of optical in or out, no built in bluetooth support and costs a good amount more. It does have a TV tuner (with different video inputs) and memory card reader though.
    Photo Gallery
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,185
    edited August 2007
    We are thinking of going with Mac this time around. Our Desktop computer is a 2.8g machine from Dell(8300) and it's over 3 years old.
    I looked at the iMAC 20 inch and 24 inch, they are very nice and simple to use. We have been using PC IBM style computers. I'm gonna get the iMAC. From what I have learned about them, they are so much better. I really like how they start up and turn off, faster then any PC I have seen.
    I think Apple is really coming on strong and making very high quality products. The Ipod, apple tv, apple phone and there computers. All excellent products.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited August 2007
    Looks pretty cool. Is there still an issue with not having a good game selection for the Mac?
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited August 2007
    It's only marginally different from the last gen of iMac, isn't it? Aluminum instead of plastic, which is nice, but.... it doesn't look all that different than the last rev...

Agreed with the above posts though. It's a laptop that you can't take anywhere. How is that a good thing?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • mutelight
    edited August 2007
    In regards to the games, EA is now developing games that are going to be on PC for the Mac as well however I never play computer games anymore.

The design, the reason it is a good thing is because of the sheer simplicity. Plug one cable into the wall, keyboard into the back, mouse into the keyboard, done. You have a webcam, speakers, mic, and fully functional computer in a very small footprint which can be placed almost anywhere.
    Photo Gallery
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited August 2007
    Repair guys will always hate Macs that don't come in a tower form, because their form factor requires extra time to get things fixed. On the other hand, they are 90% of the time quieter than a PC, which is a huge issue to many.
    No, they are not a true gaming machine under the Mac OS, but with the dual boot capability with Windows OS upcoming with the next operating system, that should inspire some gamers. I doubt that the video card will satisfy the hard core gamers, but for the occasional play, it will work just fine I bet.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Demiurge
    edited August 2007
    Fan noise can be solved for about $20 and you can do it yourself. Do it yourself & Mac don't go together well.
  • mutelight
    edited August 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Fan noise can be solved for about $20 and you can do it yourself. Do it yourself & Mac don't go together well.

Fortunately you never really have to "do" anything to them to begin with. :D
    Photo Gallery
  • Shizelbs
    edited August 2007
    That's pretty good. :cool:

Unfortunately ....

Well, we can squabble over specs, but my point is the concept has been done before. Looks like Apple is doing it well, but the concept has been done a number of times now.
  • Demiurge
    edited August 2007

My point is that PCs are easily customizable, pretty much anything you can imagine, and it's cheap to do most of the time.

That's not the case for Macs, which eventually become obsolete, like any other computer. :D
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2007

God that would kill me, I love tweeking my computers. Hell, my computers are liquid, I add and exchange new parts on them weekly. Microsoft hates me because I have to call every month to get XP reactivated.

It would kill me to have to buy a PC and just sit on it till it dies.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing