I felt insulted by a postal worker...

pearsall001
pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
As some of you might know, I sold my Van Alstine OmegaStar 440EX amp & Ultra DAC. They both went to a nice fellow in San Fran. Long story short, I went to the post office to ship them. When the nice fellow behind the counter asked the usual questions...anything fragile, perishable, I said absolutely. I told him that it was stereo gear & that I also wanted delivery confirmation & insurance. No problem he utters back, how much insurance do you want he askes. I tell him the amount for each item & he says "WOW, is this a BOSE HT system???? Ahhhhhhhhh no I don't think so. He then asked me what they were & he looked at me as if I had 4 heads when I said the one box was a DAC & the other box was a 2 channel amp. I got a good laugh out of the whole ordeal. Gotta love those BOSE people!! :eek:
"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
Post edited by pearsall001 on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2007
    I hope they arrive.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited August 2007
    Have to admit, Bose has great marketing tactics. Brainwashed millions of people.
  • blakeh
    blakeh Posts: 491
    edited August 2007
    For some strange reason, Bose has this strange psychological hold over the public.

About two years ago, my boss was building a new house and was looking for some advice about built-in speakers for his home theater. He asked me about Bose. I told him that they do a great job of marketing their products, but most people who are really into audio consider them a joke. I told him about the various Polk solutions and let him know that they'll sound five times better at half the cost. He thanked me and said he'd talk to his installer about the Polks.

About eight months later (when his home was finished) he started chatting with me again about his home theater. This is what he said:

"...and I can't tell you how great those little Bose speakers sound! They just fill the room with sound."

I asked him if he even talked to his installer about th Polks and he replied that he didn't need once he heard the Bose speakers in one of our local retail stores.

Hey, it's his money and he can buy whatever they want -- I just wish he would've given something else a try. :rolleyes:
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited August 2007
    Happens to the best of use.

My brother's friend stopped by to wash and shine his car and saw my system, his first question was what kind of system was it. I explained that it was various brands and components that were picked to match well together.

His second question was "why didn't you get a bose?". I tried to explain that bose is decent but you can get much better for much less money. Sadly I couldn't give him a demo since the system was disassembled to move to the new stand so he had to take my word for it.

For reference he bought, much to my dissatisfaction, a bose 3-2-1 for his 37in 1080p LCD. HD looks amazing but DVDs look awful, they actually had me over to try and fix the picture, but I had to explain that it was a bose and it was as good as it was going to get.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited August 2007
    Bose is plenty good enough for those that can't tell the difference.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited August 2007
    HD looks amazing but DVDs look awful, they actually had me over to try and fix the picture, but I had to explain that it was a bose and it was as good as it was going to get.

The Bose speakers affect the picture quality? Bose is even worse than I thought!
  • MGPK
    MGPK Posts: 88
    edited August 2007
    It's not the speakers affecting the picture quality; it's the DVD player in the 3-2-1 system, I find it amazing how people can fork over good money for a good TV, then to create a system around it with substandard components.

As for why Bose is so popular, yeah it's their marketing but, the commissions are very high for salespeople who sell Bose and those salespeople get frequent seller points for the products they sell which can be redeemed for extra Bose swag. If it wasn't for that and the ignorance of consumers regarding good audio (great prey for salespeople), they wouldn't be as successful as they are.
    System:

H/K AVR430 Receiver
    Samsung DVDHD841 Dvd player
    Yamaha CDC506 5 Disc changer
    Jamo E855 Tower speakers
    Wharfdale Pacific P-10 Bookshelf speakers
    Acoustic Research Master Series Interconnects
  • criverajr
    criverajr Posts: 1,675
    edited August 2007
    It kills me how we as Polksters just kill bose. Any chance you look at there earnings last year in sales. The audio world goes much further than Polk Audio. I love polk audio and the people here but sometimes loyalty get in the way of reason. I believe 2 years ago the made close to 2 billion dollars, hell if I had a business that made that kind of mind I would be jumping up and down. A market study published in March 2006 by the independent market research firm Forrester Research reported that Bose's brand name was among the 3 most trusted brand names (by the US population) of consumer-electronics or computer brand names in America.[47]
    Sorry just my .02

CRj
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited August 2007
    criverajr wrote: »
    It kills me how we as Polksters just kill bose. Any chance you look at there earnings last year in sales. The audio world goes much further than Polk Audio. I love polk audio and the people here but sometimes loyalty get in the way of reason. I believe 2 years ago the made close to 2 billion dollars, hell if I had a business that made that kind of mind I would be jumping up and down. A market study published in March 2006 by the independent market research firm Forrester Research reported that Bose's brand name was among the 3 most trusted brand names (by the US population) of consumer-electronics or computer brand names in America.[47]
    Sorry just my .02

CRj

You'd think with that kind of revenue they could make speakers that didn't sound like ****. But then again, if they actually used quality components, it would kill their profit margin.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited August 2007
    It kills me how we as Polksters just kill bose.

Popeil's pocket fisherman was one of the largest selling fishing poles in history too. Sales/profits don't always relate to quality.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited August 2007
    It's not the speakers affecting the picture quality; it's the DVD player in the 3-2-1 system, I find it amazing how people can fork over good money for a good TV, then to create a system around it with substandard components.

Ah, I see. I wasn't aware it came with a DVD player. For some reason, I am not familiar with Bose products, I have completely ignored them since hearing them at a friends house year many years ago.:D
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited August 2007
    PolkThug wrote: »
    You'd think with that kind of revenue they could make speakers that didn't sound like ****.
    Well, you nailed that one.

Polk loyalty aside, Bose has not made one speaker an audiophile would consider up to par, or remotely close.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited August 2007
    As MGPK mentioned the 3-2-1 is a all in one system, 2 speakers a sub and a dvd module and your all set with your faux surround. At least he got a newer model with progressive scan, the older ones didn't even have that.

Besides the 3-2-1 Bose sells the Lifestyle systems which come with a dvd player and amp and the Acoustimass systems that are just speakers.
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited August 2007
    Sorry just my .02

CRj

I think you just made the point being discussed that Bose has terrific marketing.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited August 2007
    While they might sound like *hit for those of us that know, thier biggest selling points are they are small, (great WAF) and easy to set up.

No endless wires, probably very little fiddling with speaker level matching, smallest number of big black boxes to fiddle with.

Most people when it comes to technology WANT EASY! And they will obviously pay big money to have that ease of use. So Bose wins!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited August 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    While they might sound like *hit for those of us that know, thier biggest selling points are they are small, (great WAF) and easy to set up.

No endless wires, probably very little fiddling with speaker level matching, smallest number of big black boxes to fiddle with.

Most people when it comes to technology WANT EASY! And they will obviously pay big money to have that ease of use. So Bose wins!

Exactly!

And the fact that no matter what channel you watch on television, there is a Bose commercial of some sort. You walk into about any electronic department of any store, what do you see? Bose.

It's all about marketing, Bose spends millions on marketing and pennies on hardware.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2007
    blakeh wrote: »
    For some strange reason, Bose has this strange psychological hold over the public.

so does Monster cable.

i don't get it.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited August 2007
    Simple Al. These companies saw an openning to brainwash people into buying thier stuff at outrageous prices since they were the only game in town at the time!

Now everyone else is playing catchup, but it's too late because they came in so late in the game. The entire world know the brand names of Bose & Monster!

Just good old fashioned business.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited August 2007
    I love the smug look people get when they tell you they have a Bose system at home. Oh so smug! I just want to slap them.
  • treitz3
    edited August 2007
    Hey, to each his own.:rolleyes:
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2007
    Who freakin' cares anymore? Somebody wants to buy Bose, I don't waste my time or energy on them. They're likely go out and buy the stuff no matter what you do.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited August 2007
    "Not that I'm shipping them today but do explosives fall into the hazardous category?"
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited August 2007
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    I love the smug look people get when they tell you they have a Bose system at home. Oh so smug! I just want to slap them.
    ROTFLMFAO :D :eek: :D

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • Girl_Addicted
    Girl_Addicted Posts: 195
    edited August 2007
    Sorry just my .02

CRj

And just because they made close to 2 billion and they were listed as the most "reliable," that makes it okay that their systems are far inferior and cost way more than other brands that sound better and go easier on the pocket? The only reason Bose is "most reliable" is because of their outstanding marketing and the fact that they pretty much dominate the market because they have the money to do so. And because they dominate the market, those who have no clue what the difference is think what they're getting is the "good stuff." It's all a vicious cycle. And I don't think we have loyalty to Polk Audio so much as we have a need to transcend above the "average" listening experience provided by Bose and its replicas.
    Trey (5:22:24 AM): my Taylos have copper phase plugs
    Trey (5:22:26 AM): they shiney
    Destiney (5:22:39 AM): ahaha
    Destiney (5:22:57 AM): that gives wrong pictures of you lovingly caressing your taylos copper phase plugs
    Trey (5:23:25 AM): >_>
    Trey (5:23:27 AM): Mayyybe
    Trey (5:23:31 AM): I do dust them, does this count?
    Destiney (5:23:22 AM): do you linger?
    Trey (5:23:49 AM): not normally
    Destiney (5:23:35 AM): then its okaaaaay
  • Girl_Addicted
    Girl_Addicted Posts: 195
    edited August 2007
    Who freakin' cares anymore? Somebody wants to buy Bose, I don't waste my time or energy on them. They're likely go out and buy the stuff no matter what you do.

Agreed. If people want to buy Bose, then let them.

But when people analyze your system and notice that it's NOT Bose, and ask "Why not Bose?" don't you find the need to voice your preference?
    Trey (5:22:24 AM): my Taylos have copper phase plugs
    Trey (5:22:26 AM): they shiney
    Destiney (5:22:39 AM): ahaha
    Destiney (5:22:57 AM): that gives wrong pictures of you lovingly caressing your taylos copper phase plugs
    Trey (5:23:25 AM): >_>
    Trey (5:23:27 AM): Mayyybe
    Trey (5:23:31 AM): I do dust them, does this count?
    Destiney (5:23:22 AM): do you linger?
    Trey (5:23:49 AM): not normally
    Destiney (5:23:35 AM): then its okaaaaay
  • criverajr
    criverajr Posts: 1,675
    edited August 2007
    My point never mentioned sound quality or even reliability. My point was this I have seen really good gear sit on the FM for weeks on end and not sell, but I have also seen a guy drop 5300.00 on the top of the line Bose system and not blink. These are the people that like you say are brainwashed. I believe evrything has it niche, and Bose has a big one. Just give it some thought, I found it very interesting, to each his own.

CRj
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2007
    A DAC? I would have laughed too. :D
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,162
    edited August 2007
    Sorry just my .02

CRj

It has nothing to do with loyalty it has to do with dubious marketing and **** quality. We all can't own the best of everything but those that buy Bose get what they deserve for either not listening to people with greater experience in things audio or because they blindly believe what's told to them by the same people they are giving their money to.

If these people would objectively compare the Bose products to another brands product and honestly still choose Bose for whatever reason then there wouldn't be so much discussion. But that's not what people do.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • treitz3
    edited August 2007
    I actually have had a buddy of mine get pissed at me because of Bose. We were at a party for the 4th of July this year and he was showing off his brand new Bose system. He asked me how I liked it and the only way I could answer without being impolite in his house was to respond with a question. "Do you like it?", I asked. "Hell yeah, rocks my world!!!" he replies. I then told him I was out of beer and had to go get another one.

Now, what made him mad was when he came over to my house and he had a chance to sit down and listen to a much more accurate reproduction of music, he looked at me and said, "Wow, those sound great....Why in the hell didn't you say anything to me before I blew all that money on my system?" I told him that "I did, you just didn't listen." Yup, he's still agitated with ME because HE chose to get the Bose.

What I can't figure out is that a lot of companies start up with great advertising campaigns, but when the general populous starts to get the word out that it's a crap product, then sales diminish rapidly through word of mouth. Bose has had a bad rap since a long, long time ago. IMO, sound dispersion is the only thing keeping them alive, 'cause it sure ain't sound quality.

That night on the 4th of July, I wanted to tell him that "I haven't heard this much distortion in a long time" and that "I would like to leave the room now."
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited August 2007
    My brother shelled out a pretty penny for an Acoustimass system about six years ago, and has been happy as a pig in slop ever since. Considering he has had zero issues with the system from a service standpoint and he enjoys watching his movies -- I say to each their own.

I guess it always kind of rubs me the wrong way when people take shots at other people's gear. I'm sure that any of our rigs (with the exception of a few on the Forum) would be scoffed at and ridiculed on other Forums.

Could my brother have gotten more "bang for buck". Sure... but speaker size may have become an issue. The WAF might have become an issue.

And... he so rarely listens to music that a well-balanced speaker isn't his goal. Those cubes have enough top-end pizzazz to ding and ting when the scene calls for it. And that lil' bass module is just the right size for his small room...
    And it can all be powered with a lower end HK receiver.

And for the record, I always enjoy watching movies at his house. Watched 300 the other night, and had some beers and a blast.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore