edited October 2002 in Speakers
deleted
Post edited by dharding on

Comments

• trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited September 2002
    Dan-

They may not be what you thought they were, but at $550/pr, seems you got a good deal.
    How do they sound?

-Luc
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited September 2002
    Dan,

They are 1C's. The 1C came in two versions, the only difference between the two was the cabinet exterior. The "studio" version had a black vinyl exterior. The "regular" version had black cloth on the sides and oak top and bottom caps. The 1B used the blade-blade interconnect. The 1C used the pin-blade interconnect.

For some reason, Polk never put a revision code in the model number on the sticker on the back of the speaker.

For example, the SDA 1 went through three revisions: SDA 1A, SDA 1B, and SDA 1C. No matter the revision number, they all said SDA 1 on the back. In the case of the SDA 1, it is easy to tell the difference between the revisions because the cabinet design is different among the four versions.

In the case of the SDA 2.3 and SDA 1.2, the lack of a revision code presents some difficulty because the SDA 2.3 and the SDA 2.3TL both have identical cabinets and they both say "SDA 2.3" on the back. The only differences between the two models are the tweeters and the crossover. Same deal with the SDA 1.2 and SDA 1.2TL.

I have seen SDA 1.2's for sale when they were in fact, 1.2TL's and vice versa. Sometimes, people "upgrade" the non-TL versions of the SDA 2.3 and SDA 1.2 by replacing the SL-2000 tweeters with the SL-3000, not realizing that the crossover networks between the models are different.

In the SDA marketplace, it often takes a bit of detective work to find out what's really being offered for sale. That is why I always ask if the seller is the original owner and if the speakers have ever been repaired or modified.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • dharding
    dharding Posts: 61
    edited September 2002
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited September 2002
    Just to add to the fray.......My 2.3TL's are labeled on the back as part of the serial number, SRS 2.3TL ####. The boxes are also labeled. My 2B's have a little B sticker added on the rear panel.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DarqueKnight
    edited September 2002
    Originally posted by F1nut
    My 2.3TL's are labeled on the back as part of the serial number, SRS 2.3TL ####. The boxes are also labeled. My 2B's have a little B sticker added on the rear panel.

Hmmmmmm, maybe Polk got a lot of complaints and started putting revision numbers in the serial numbers. The serial number for the right speaker of my SDA SRS 1.2TL's reads: SRS 1.2 R#####.

Both pairs of my 1C's, as well as my 1B's just say SDA1 on the back. The boxes for the 1C's and the 1B's did have a label that said either "B" or "C". I'm curious to know why all the disparity in labeling occured. I'll email Ken Swauger in Polk customer service to see if he can shed some light.
    One thing that wasn't clear in your post: How does one tell the difference between 1A and 1B?

Externally, the 1B cabinet was totally different from the 1C. The 1B used a blade-blade interconnect connector whereas the 1C used a pin blade connector. Internally, different midrange drivers and crossovers were used. The 1B was a 4 ohm speaker whereas the 1C was a 6 ohm speaker.

I'll post some pics of the 1A, 1B, and 1C later.
  • DarqueKnight
    edited September 2002
    Here is the SDA 1. I have an old brochure with the SDA 1A, but I can't find it at the moment.
  • DarqueKnight
    edited September 2002
    Here is the SDA 1B
  • DarqueKnight
    edited September 2002
    Here is the SDA 1C
  • F1nut
    edited September 2002
    raife1,

While you're emailing Ken, ask him about how well the new replacement tweeter matches up to the SL3000.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2002
    dharding - If that puts you into the "dumbass of the year" running, then I'm up for a lifetime achievement award.

Great snag!
    Make it Funky! :)
  • DarqueKnight
    edited September 2002
    My Questions:

Ken,

I am wondering why Polk did not put revision numbers in SDA serial numbers when they came out with a revised model. For example, the SDA 1 went through three revisions: SDA 1A, SDA 1B, and SDA 1C. Yet, the serial number on the back of each version still said SDA 1.

Some people in the forum have mentioned that the new SL2000 tweeters sound different from the old SL2000. What has been changed about the new tweeter performance-wise?

Have the new SL3000 tweeters been changed/improved also? If so, how?

Thanks.

Raife

Ken Swauger's Answers:

Hello Raife,
    I'm not completely sure I have a definitive answer for you, but I imagine we had ordered a large quantity of cabinet labels from the vender and probably didn't want to waste all of the unused quantity, probably. We tend to be a very frugal company, I suppose that's why we're still here.

The problem with SL2000, SL2500 and SL3000 is the dome material is no longer available anywhere. We simply can't buy the domes any more, that compound is gone. However, the replacements we offer satisfy all mechanical and electrical parameters and seem to satisfy any owner that I have spoken with.

They are visually different, sometimes a completely different dome color, but sonically satisfy.
    Regards, Ken, Polk

Commentary by Raife

Hmmmmm.....I think I better start buying more SDA's and hoarding them for spare parts.
  • F1nut
    edited September 2002
    raife1,

Thanks for asking and posting the reply. I think I'll start hoarding too.

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2002
    I guess I'd better start saving my pennies so I can add SDA's to the collection......

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2002
    heh heh
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • har_navalta
    har_navalta Posts: 957
    edited September 2002
    Ok, as you said so... here is your spare parts
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1383660176&ssPageName=ADME:B:RECO:CA:2

Har

...I won't let mine go till the end of the world, 1.2TL and 2.3TL,
    and hoarding...
  • DarqueKnight
    edited September 2002
    Yeah, those SRS's were listed a month or so ago but received no bids. I guess the hole in the side really turned people off. :lol:
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited September 2002
    I have had a few SDA's, some have a little white sticker with black letter "C" applied next the SDA 1, looks a little out of place, I would guess some were mised or it was put on later runs after dealers/customers complained "how do we know what version this is", or maybe some of them fell off over the years and only the SDA 1 is left?

If you have noticed there is ALWAYS something of a question as to what version all the SDA'a are when you are trying to buy them and doing your home work is a must.
    I have never seen anything saying "+" on any of the CRS+'s I have had. I have had 1.2tl's that has 1.2tl in the serial number, I had a pair that I bought from the original owner who had the receipt stating 1.2tlxx and the serial number only said SRS1.2xx whatever. Most of the time Ebay seller post SDA 1, when they have the SDA 1C's.

So you end up haveing to ask the seller 5-6 questions, how many 6.5's, how many tweeters , are they horizontal or vertial, are they black or clear/yellow, does the interconnect have a blade/blade or a pin/blade and on and on to get a good idea what the hell you are buying.

This is not limited to the SDA's, it goes for the Monitor line also, you must be an educated Polk buyer to get what you think you are buying.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • har_navalta
    edited October 2002
    raife1,

Please reply to this thread...any help will be appreciated.

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5619

Thanks,
    Har
  • har_navalta
    edited October 2002
    I started hoarding now...for spare parts of SDA type speakers,
    check it out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1383250325

Har