time for a new cell phone - AT&T

danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
Ok. my Razr is dying.. the display is not very bright anymore.

I want something else now.. I have been looking at the Sync from AT&T and it seems like it would be a good phone.

Anyone else here on AT&T who is very happy with their phone? I'm not interested in any of the blackberry ones. I would never use most of those features.

Yeah, the IPhone would be cool.. but i don't have that kind of cash. :eek:

TGIF!!
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited August 2007
    I own a Sync from at&t which I like, different feel then Motorola but works ok for me.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2007
    Im witih Verizon so I dont know if they have phones like these but I got an LG VX-8300 and love it. Its got a great camera (1.3 megapixel) but best of all its a very good MP3 player. It has external memory and I bought a 1 GB chip for it and have about 250 songs on it. Works like a charm.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited August 2007
    Mac, you listen to thsoe songs through headphones or the speakerphone?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited August 2007
    AT&T is gsm, right? You can always just buy an unlocked phone and not have to renew your contract or stay locked with them for a few years. I did that with Rogers and a Sony K750i (great camera too) and am really really glad I did because now I might be getting a phone either through work or switching to a blackberry for consulting work. Not being locked into a lengthy contract is awesome.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited August 2007
    the 8300 supports stereo bluetooth (sorry for the derail)
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited August 2007
    PhantomOG wrote: »
    Daaaaaang, that's sweet.

Ok, now back to your regularly scheduled programming!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • PhantomOG
    edited August 2007

crap I lied. got it confused with a different lg 8x00 phone. The 8300 was released early last year. Almost all of the new LG's support stereo bluetooth though. (ok, that's it for the derail, I promise :p )
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited August 2007
    I have the 8100 Blackberry Pearl and like it more as a phone than a pda type device. My wife just got a Sync, but I don't care for it much personnaly. It isn't that it is a bad phone, I just like my Pearl better. If I remember correctly, the next software version for the 8100 will probably support bluetooth music over the headpiece. Being able to update the software is nice, which I haven't been able to do with any other phone.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • danger boy
    edited August 2007
    thanks for the suggestions. i just wish there were more phones to choose from.. seems like not many new cell phone features are being release lately. same old stuff except the IPhone.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited August 2007
    Stay away from the crackberries. If you are in a poor signal area, they will run your batteries down in a few short hours searching for service. A small no frills candy bar phone will give you the best battery life and reception. Check them out, standby and talk time will always be better with the candy bar. They are making them a lot thinner now. Stay away from the cameras, music players, etc. It's just more stuff that can break and more opportunities for the phone companies to charge you more money. Get a simple phone, pay for it and don't sign up for a contract. Get a cheap pay as you go plan. Phone companies hate that ****, they want you tied up. There is no FCC rule that says you have to buy a long term contract. On the contrary. Phone companies must offer you a simple pay as you go contract. They do not cost anymore than their standard multi year contracts. It's the law.
    Carl

• danger boy
    edited August 2007
    i like AT&T for their rollover minutes.. i don't use any kind of MP3 players and it's not why i need a new phone. i'm a simple guy.. who likes a simple phone.. i only use TXT messages is about it on the phone.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2007
    My g/f got a new BlackBerry (not the newest model, but the one before that) on ebay for $90 shipped with an extended warranty. I know you said you didnt want a blackberry, but the point is you can get phones NIB on ebay for CHEAP!

The cheapest one Cingular/AT&T had to offer was $190 without a contract for some POS phone.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited August 2007
    No matter how cheap you get a Blackberry, you're still paying for it in the end with the extra fees you have to pay for Blackberry added service (10-20 bucks a month usually).
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • michael_w
    edited August 2007
    You don't have to use blackberry services (messenger & data) just because you own a blackberry. It's kind of pointless to do so, but there's that option. If you want a pda style phone there are a ton to choose from but you'll have to buy them unlocked from a source other than your carrier.
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited August 2007
    t-mobile 3000 anytime minutes $49. Limited free long distance but once in while they run a special where you can add the free long distance for free. they even back dated my free long distance request because I missed the deadline because I've been a customer for so long. how many big companies would do that.

they've had this plan for eons but they don't advertise it too much or even tell you about it unless you ask because they aren't stupid. they want you to buy the $100+ plan. I'd be surprised if they don't offer this anymore. on a plan like this, it doesn't bother me one bit to sign a one or two year contract. I could care less about phones. they give me a free basic nokia once a year.
  • danger boy
    edited August 2007
    if i got a phone not from my carrier how to I activate it? and how much does it cost to activate it?

I could never in my wildest dreams ever use 3000 minutes a month. I rarely use 1/3 of that many. I'm not a phone junkie.. so most of all my calls are pretty short. I don't enjoy talking on the phone is my point. so the rollover minutes i get with AT&T works great for me.
  • michael_w
    edited August 2007
    As long as the phone is unlocked all you have to do is take the sim card out of your old phone and put it in the new one. It's the beauty of owning a GSM phone. How a phone is unlocked depends on the phone itself. Sometimes it's as simple as punching in a sequence of keys on the phone.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited August 2007
    I just had to make the same descision about getting a new phone with at&t. The sales girl talked me into the Samsung A717 - which is replacing the sync. Stay clear of that A717. It is a POS.

I was debating between the LG CU500V & the Sony Ericsson W810i. I ended up with the SE W810i and I'm pretty happy with it. Makes and receives calls with good call quality. Built in Walkman is pretty good (you can use your own headphones and it uses the cable as an antenna for the built in FM radio). Has a nice 2mp camera (and video) too. Speakerphone is really good. Bluetooth works very well also. Battery life is fantastic.

Includes all the software and cables (that you have to pay extra for with LG & Samsung phones) and also included a 256MB Memory Stick Pro Duo as well. Change the stick out for a "HD" as big as an iPhone (4 gig).
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited August 2007
    DB, I recommend Sony Ericsson T610/616 or the newer version T637. They are about 3 years old technology, but it sounds like it will serve your needs. I have two of them. Reliable, tiny (the size of two matchbox), light, and decent screen size. I have AT&T also. You can get them off the bay for around $75-$100 shipped.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited August 2007
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2007
    I just moved 100 full cell lines off AT&T due to poor service and horrible customer service. I used to get mass complaints from my users on AY&T. It’s been a year since I moved them all to Verizon and I have not received one... not even ONE complaint about Verizon service. We are up to about 125 lines including personal discounts. Verizon service in our area is absolutely phenomenal, I highly recommend it for everyone.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • danger boy
    edited August 2007
    well. i went yesterday to look at the AT&T cell phones.. and was not impressed with any of them. the sales guy wanted to get me into the entry level Blackberry. ok cool. it's $199 with a $100 mail in rebate. (I spend about 80% of my working day outdoors in bright sunlight. and I need a cell phone with a nice bright display.

Good looking phone. problem is.. i would never use half of the features of a Blackberry phone. He said for the price, basically $99 i am getting much more than just a basic cell phone for the same price. Yeah i agree there.. but to use any of the other features like music, internet, GPS, you have to PAY EXTRA for those features. So basiclly i'd be turning my current $60 cell phone bill into a $110 monthly cell phone bill. for features i'd never use..

He told me that he has the same exact phone and plan.. well duh! He prob got the phone for $10 bucks with his discount and his plan prob has every option available for $19.99. I should have just shut the clown down right there. Or else he prob gets his cell service for free for working for AT&T. Who knows.

Then get this... i agree to the Blackberry for $99 and he goes and checks.. "oh we're out of the Blackberry till next week!" WHAT? I left ASAP.

Verizon is looking much better all the time. I can get a discount thru work on a phone and service if I go with Verizon. Plus all my coworkers use Verizon and my calls to them would all be free.. along with my calls to my office would be free as well.
  • michael_w
    edited August 2007
    Which blackberry was it?
  • PhantomOG
    edited August 2007
    Verizon's LG phones are great, reliable phones that excel in call quality and battery life in my opinion. Verizon's network has been great for me as well. If you want simple features its not a bad option as well. Almost all Verizon phones share the same O/S so switching phones is completely easy. Some people hate this, but I'm happy with the O/S so I think its great. But, like you, I don't text/surf/video/etc. with my phone. I make and receive calls and use the tip calculator :p
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited August 2007
    Hi DB... Verizon has great coverage in our area, even in the boondocks past CDA where I live (they put up a tower near the top of a ridge, and painted it green, with fake looking limbs and everything.)

They did lots of tower upgrades around December 06 to get their RevA data network running. We're also on a corporate Verizon plan, and their customer service has been great.

I just got the LG 8300 last month... really like it. I wanted bluetooth to connect to my Pioneer HU (9800BT), but that's about the only frills thing. Good flip phone, can take memory card, solid construction, pretty good battery. Also works with BitPim, so with a cheap data cable you can transfer your own ring tones, wallpaper, etc.
  • Girl_Addicted
    Girl_Addicted Posts: 195
    edited August 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    Ok. my Razr is dying.. the display is not very bright anymore.

I want something else now.. I have been looking at the Sync from AT&T and it seems like it would be a good phone.

Anyone else here on AT&T who is very happy with their phone? I'm not interested in any of the blackberry ones. I would never use most of those features.

Yeah, the IPhone would be cool.. but i don't have that kind of cash. :eek:

TGIF!!

Don't waste your money on the iPhone.

When your battery goes kerplunk (which eventually, it will), you have to send the ENTIRE phone to Apple to have it replaced. Pretty inconvenient.
    Trey (5:22:24 AM): my Taylos have copper phase plugs
    Trey (5:22:26 AM): they shiney
    Destiney (5:22:39 AM): ahaha
    Destiney (5:22:57 AM): that gives wrong pictures of you lovingly caressing your taylos copper phase plugs
    Trey (5:23:25 AM): >_>
    Trey (5:23:27 AM): Mayyybe
    Trey (5:23:31 AM): I do dust them, does this count?
    Destiney (5:23:22 AM): do you linger?
    Trey (5:23:49 AM): not normally
    Destiney (5:23:35 AM): then its okaaaaay
  • PhantomOG
    edited August 2007
    Don't waste your money on the iPhone.

When your battery goes kerplunk (which eventually, it will), you have to send the ENTIRE phone to Apple to have it replaced. Pretty inconvenient.

I wonder how good their quality control is. I know people who have replaced batteries on just about every brand of phone, however, with the half dozon or so LG phones my wife and I have gone through with Verizon we've never had to buy a new battery before upgrading to a new phone (usually about 2 years or so). Upgrading to a new phone is practically free with Verizon with their NewEvery2 promotion. In fact, even after sitting in my closet unplugged/uncharged for a couple years my old LG phones power right up after charging and work like a champ. I usually end up giving them to my parents who seem to have a knack for losing their phones.
  • Girl_Addicted
    Girl_Addicted Posts: 195
    edited August 2007
    I wonder how good their quality control is. I know people who have replaced batteries on just about every brand of phone, however, with the half dozon or so LG phones my wife and I have gone through with Verizon we've never had to buy a new battery before upgrading to a new phone (usually about 2 years or so). Upgrading to a new phone is practically free with Verizon with their NewEvery2 promotion. In fact, even after sitting in my closet unplugged/uncharged for a couple years my old LG phones power right up after charging and work like a champ. I usually end up giving them to my parents who seem to have a knack for losing their phones.

A lot of people have reported problems with their iPhone battery. Others have been happy as larks. Sometimes its the phone, sometimes its what you expect to get out of it.
    Trey (5:22:24 AM): my Taylos have copper phase plugs
    Trey (5:22:26 AM): they shiney
    Destiney (5:22:39 AM): ahaha
    Destiney (5:22:57 AM): that gives wrong pictures of you lovingly caressing your taylos copper phase plugs
    Trey (5:23:25 AM): >_>
    Trey (5:23:27 AM): Mayyybe
    Trey (5:23:31 AM): I do dust them, does this count?
    Destiney (5:23:22 AM): do you linger?
    Trey (5:23:49 AM): not normally
    Destiney (5:23:35 AM): then its okaaaaay
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2007
    We have a lot of different Verizon PDA's. The VX6700 has had terrible battery problems, I stock about 5 for jsut replacing, they go all he time. The Palm's have been just about flawless in every way!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited August 2007
    I've got a brand new T-mobile Sidekick 3 if you're interested.

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.