A Couple of Questions For You Guitar Players

amulford
amulford Posts: 5,020
edited July 2007 in The Clubhouse
A friend of mines' son has started electric guitar lessons. He has a starter kit he got for his birthday.

He wants a better amp and a distortion pedal. I would venture to guess he doesn't need anything extravagant. Any suggestions? Brands? Where to get them? On line suppliers?
Post edited by amulford on

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited July 2007
    www.music123.com has been having a big blowout sale online for a while now. I picked up several things from there. I think they're going out of business, but some really good deals.

If you have a guitar center anywhere near you, there's a Crate amp that they always seem to have on sale for 99. I don't know the model number, but it's brown and the knobs and such on top are gold, and it has a built effects dial that changes between quite a few popular effects.

It's a very nice starter amp, I've played around on one some and was surprised at how good it is.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited July 2007
    I tried a couple of these cheap pedals when I was getting started. They are an incredible value for a starter. If I recall you can usually get them about 5 bucks cheaper in the store.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_danelectro_d1_fab_distortion?full_sku=103375820

There's a million different amps to consider. I would say anything in the right price range from Fender, Crate, Line 6, Marshall, Vox, etc....should be fine.

I personally would recommend one of the entry level Line 6 amps for a starter. Even their base models come loaded with tons of effects and tone adjustments. They are a great way for a beginner to experiment. If you got one of these you could probably skip the pedal.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited July 2007
    It's the Crate RFX15, they always seem to have it in store for 99. If he wants to spend more, he can always step up to more juice with the RFX65.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited July 2007
    Roland Cube series is phenominal...

Comes with 8 boss effects and like 10 amp models...

Cool lil amps.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • GaryZ06
    GaryZ06 Posts: 317
    edited July 2007
    Get this.....:eek:
    picture.JPG
    Panasonic 50" Plasma + Pioneer 6010
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    Polk RTi12 (front)...Polk CSi5 (center)
    Polk RTi4 (rear)...Velodyne DLS 5000-R Sub
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited July 2007
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ -- no better site out there for musicians than them, in my opinion.

Line 6 - Combo

That would be a good amp, and that's actually quite inexpensive. I like Marshall, and that's what I play, but you'll pay a lot more for that.

In any event, stick with the combo amp/speaker set-up. He's not ready for separate Amp Heads & Cabs.
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited July 2007
    if he's just starting, he may like a GuitarPort from Line6..

It hooks up to your pc and it has a TON of effects and tones to use..

plus the online service has lessons and full backing tracks created by their in-house band...

pretty cool...i have one..
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited July 2007
    Cool, Thanks. I'll show this to him and let him decide.
  • ninerbj
    ninerbj Posts: 870
    edited July 2007
    Any suggestions on cords for guitars to amps anyone?
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited July 2007
    I like Fender's... "California Cable". Works just fine and is easy to work with.
    For an amp combo... nothing beats Fender's "Hot Rod" which can be purchased used for about $400 with a tube amp. 40W and a nice Emerson 12".
  • carpenter
    carpenter Posts: 362
    edited July 2007
    rskarvan wrote: »
    nothing beats Fender's "Hot Rod" which can be purchased used for about $400 with a tube amp.

definitely.
    I love my "Hot Rod Deville". got it 6 years ago. fantastic.
    for a pedal I'd consider the "Ibanez tube king", though its not a Heavy-Metal head's dream gear, combined with the Hot rod, its going to sound sweet.
    "If the global crisis continues, by the end of the year Only two Banks will be operational, the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank. Then these 2 banks will merge and it will be called 'The Bloody **** Bank'"
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2007
    The DOD pedals are affordable, I use the 'Grunge' pedal on my bass drop D tuned for a really knarly, fat sound.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,185
    edited July 2007
    ninerbj wrote: »
    Any suggestions on cords for guitars to amps anyone?

yes Whilwind. They make the best sounding cables for the money. I use "THE LEADER" series and I think they sound great. Clear and true.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,185
    edited July 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    The DOD pedals are affordable, I use the 'Grunge' pedal on my bass drop D tuned for a really knarly, fat sound.

Cheers,
    Russ

DOD are some good quality pedals if you like there sound. I perfer Boss pedals single or Double. Starter pedals I'd look into Arion, there very cheap and sound pretty good. Down the road he could get into better gear. DOD also makes cheaper multi effects to play around with.

It's better to learn the Instrument deeper before foolin around with 2 many effects.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2007
    Cables dont matter!! Oh wait sorry - wrong thread. :p

Funny you should post this Anthony. Ive been playing around with the idea of taking up guitar for a few weeks now. Ive been a drummer for nearly 20 years but havent played in 4 since I dont have a place to play. I hate to give up on drums but Ive always wanted to play guitar and figure now could be a good time (like I need something else to spend money on).

My band days are behind me and Im only wanting to learn for myself to play around with. My favorite brand has always been Ibanez and Ive been looking at a lot of their stuff at Guitar Center and L & M music. You can get some pretty nice guitars for under $200.

As for amps, theyve got quite a few to choose from and from reputable names. There is a lot of options out there under $100 for a starter amp.

http://www.music123.com/Guitar-Amplifiers-Guitar-and-Bass-Amplifiers,50-100.Music123

This is the one Ive been eyeballing: http://www.music123.com/Marshall-MG10CD-Combo-Amp-482798-i1145902.Music123
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D