What to do with a wasp's nest??

joeparaski
joeparaski Posts: 1,865
edited July 2007 in The Clubhouse
I have NEVER been bitten by a wasp or a bee (city boy) and it finally happened today while mowing the lawn. Damn that stings!!!

So there they are, a whole lotta wasps buzzing around near the corner of the deck. When things calm down later, I take a look under the deck, and there is this huge (to me anyway) nest!

How do I get rid of this thing? It's UNDER the deck but just over it, inches away, is the stairs to go into and out of the pool. They may get agitated and bite someone on the foot....HELP!!!

Joe
Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
Post edited by joeparaski on

Comments

• BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited July 2007
    just hit it with a broomstick and run real fast.:rolleyes:

no? okay, how's 'bout silly-string? hairspray and a lighter?

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited July 2007
    Wait until it is dark and they are settled for the night, then spray the hell out of it with Raid wasp killer & knock it down spray it somemore & destroy it.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • duksbak
    duksbak Posts: 134
    edited July 2007
    Best way I found to get rid of wasp nests is good ole gas. I take some gas in a container (usually a small butter container) and in the evening when they are all in their hive. I toss the gas at them, it kills them instantly not giving them the chance to come get you. Once the gas dries a bit, I will knock down the hive and set fire to it (not really needed but I do it out of anger toward them).

The only hard part about this is getting the hole hive hit with gas at once. If you miss, they are really gonna be pissed off.
    Television: Mitsubishi WD-57732
    Front R/L: Polkaudio RTiA7
    Center: Polkaudio CSiA4
    Rear R/L: Polkaudio FXiA4
    Subwoofer: Polkaudio DSW600
    A/V Reciever: Denon 2808
    DVD/SACD: Sony Playstation 3
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited July 2007
    that sounds like a great beginning to having your own "I burned my house down" story :p
  • W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited July 2007
    duksbak wrote: »
    Best way I found to get rid of wasp nests is good ole gas. I take some gas in a container (usually a small butter container) and in the evening when they are all in their hive. I toss the gas at them, it kills them instantly not giving them the chance to come get you. Once the gas dries a bit, I will knock down the hive and set fire to it (not really needed but I do it out of anger toward them).

The only hard part about this is getting the hole hive hit with gas at once. If you miss, they are really gonna be pissed off.
    Is the old douse the Deck with Gasoline trick really a good Idea :eek:
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2007
    Just get a couple cans of knockdown, suit up, and go to war.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited July 2007
    Ask Jesse...he's stirred a hornets nest a time or two around here.:)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,192
    edited July 2007
    I suggest Ortho Wasp & Hornet Spray from Home Depot, Wal-Mart, etc. instead of Super Unleaded.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited July 2007
    GUYS...I don't wanna burn down the deck and the house!! Here's what I was thinking (but I'm too chicken to do it).....remove the hive intact, lay it down in a wheelbarrow with the hole facing up, using a funnel, fill it with gas....then light the sucker.

OR....call a professional and have it removed by THEM. I wonder what they charge?

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited July 2007
    Run . . . then move!
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited July 2007
    I did this about 5 times last weekend. Get the spray's mentioned in earlier posts, wait until dusk when they're calm, and spray away. Give it a few minutes, and they'll be dead. No flames, very little risk of getting bit. Your wheelbarrow idea sounds like bites waiting to happen. The new cans of spray can go up to 20 feet or so, so let 'er rip.

Also, the yellow jacket traps at HD work really well with wet cat food. Its the best bait I've found. Adolph's Meat tenderizer is also a great treatment for bites. Its a powder, so just make it in to a paste, and apply to bite (really, try it! ;)
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited July 2007
    Ya big chickens! I used to hunt them with a whiffle bat... that was a good time...

But to kill them like normal people? Get some wasp and hornet spray and hit the nest... it'll shoot up to 25 feet away and kills them instantly. After making sure they are all dead, just smash the nest with a broom or something.. problem solved! :D
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited July 2007
    Whiffle bat... you wimp. I used a ping-pong paddle!
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited July 2007
    Can of WD-40 and a lighter, use it like a flamethrower. Seriously though, waiting until dark and spraying it always works for me. If you feel more adventurous do it during the day.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2007
    Our guys LOVE behind the window shutters. I have yet to find a spray that doesn't leave a residue on the house siding. Therefore, when I go to war with the little ****, it's with a spaghetti pot of boiling water. Very few of gods creatures hold up well to either flame, or boiling water. To even the playing field somewhat I only wear a loincloth to do battle.

I have a healthy respect for anything that will attack something 2,000,000 times its own size. Glad those boys don't get much bigger. Imagine how ballsy they'd be if they were?
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited July 2007
    --Get the wasp spray. Get the foam type to seal in the wasps that are inside the nest.
    --Use it during early morning or during dusk.
    --Do not wear colorful or bright clothes.
    --Plan your escape route just in case something goes wrong.
    --Follow direction on wasp spray.
    --Stand back and let loose the chemical weapon.
    --If successful, spray more onto the nest.
    --If unsuccessful, call exterminator.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited July 2007
    Real men use their shoes.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited July 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Real men use their shoes.

I thought is was real men kill each one with their hands.
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited July 2007
    I used a garden hose once when I was a kid, blasted one right out of a tree.

As an adult, I've used the sprays with good success, although I did stink up the house with the one that was in the crawl space right under the dining room.

I recently went back to the garden hose method, when they were trying to build one in my porch. Fortunately there were just a few then.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2007
    Fireman32 wrote: »
    I thought is was real men kill each one with their hands.

That's ooohh so 80's and its silly to try and top Pat Morita.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • cjpre4
    cjpre4 Posts: 20
    edited July 2007
    I had the same problem last year.

I Pre - Mounted a water hose on my front deck almost over the hive. I set the nozzle for a semi heavy fog and ran the hose to the back yard. I let the water run for @ 30 to 45 minutes until the hive was melted and the bees were gone. I then cut down the shrubs.

If you do this, make sure no one is outside. This hive was about a foot high and had @ 50 bees. A really big one may have much more.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited July 2007
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited July 2007
    That's ooohh so 80's and its silly to try and top Pat Morita.

WAAAAAAA!!!! way to funny
  • dholmes
    dholmes Posts: 1,136
    edited July 2007
    co2 for putting out fires
    My HT set-up Panasonic front proj, 120 in ws screen, ATI amp,Integra 9.8 pre-pro, 2 Polk rti150, cp 1000, 4 fx 1000, Pioneer blu-ray 2 SVS sub pb 12-ultra 2, & Paragon popcorn popper. ps 3 Coaster leather HT recliners.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited July 2007
    I'd use my son's air soft gun & pick 'em off one by one!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • MrNightly
    edited July 2007
    rskarvan wrote: »
    Whiffle bat... you wimp. I used a ping-pong paddle!

Hmmm... with a whiffle bat, you can really send them flying with a direct hit... and common, I'm not talking about those FAT whiffle bats either... but the ones that are like 2 inches thick max... that's a sport. I have an un-natural fear of wasps and hornets, (Probably 'cause I have been stung countless times while hunting them) it's just not right!

Any joe blow can use a fat ole ping pong paddle... it's takes great skill to kill with a thin bat :D
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• dorokusai
    edited July 2007
    If you did that blindfolded as well, I would be impressed.
  • bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited July 2007
    I watched "RISK TAKERS" and this dude was dropping killer bee's with just sopy water.

He said it was all u needed.. lol
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited July 2007
    Just how big a nest is this? I remember my neighbor having one on the eave of his 2-story house and it was probably a good 10" in diameter. I hosed the hell out of it with Raid and it did a nice job. It definitely sprays way up there. Just don't let it get in your eyes or you'll definitely be on the ground getting stung while rubbing your blind eyes!
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • MrNightly
    edited July 2007
    If you did that blindfolded as well, I would be impressed.

he he...

I'm not getting blindfolded for you and you can stop asking... geez ;)
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805