What to do with a wasp's nest??

Comments

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2007
    As a public service announcement.......

These new "hide your hose" type hose reels that are little self contained boxes with the jackscrew thing? Matter of time before the boys discover yours. Plenty of cover for the hive, and if it's in the sun, will be right around the 500 degree temp that they seem to like (the window shutters). I check mine before I roll or unroll the hose.
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited July 2007
    Excellent advice. These damn wasps, hornets, dirt "dobbers" and yellow jackets are starting to get a little too active in Texas right now. I keep a can of Raid in the garage and on the back patio just in case. I hate those things.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited July 2007
    The spray idea is good, but can be a problem. The deck is elevated about 4 feet of the ground. The hive is under the far corner, I'd still have to spray upwards toward the underside of the deck, and so I don't miss, I'd have to look at the target while spraying, which means I may get the stuff dripping back on my face. I suppose I could reach under with my arm and spray upwards toward the hive, but if I don't get a direct shot at the entrance they will surely get pissed off and attack. I'm going to call an exterminator tomorrow for a price.

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2007
    No guts, no glory. Annie Oakley would've been doing that **** sitting on her **** UNDERNEATH the deck with her back to them, with a mirror. But hey, the exterminator is probably what you need.
  • woofiepaws
    woofiepaws Posts: 215
    edited July 2007
    Escape route.
    The nasty oily sprays, or a garden hose.
    Late evening or early morning.
    Be ready to run like hell.

Anything left on the ground, whip a black plastic garbage bag over it and let the sun do the work!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited July 2007
    I use the highest pressure nozzle on a pressure washer...

Never had any issues... lol
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited July 2007
    Stand tall and face the enemy! That is YOUR land, not theirs. Use the evening RAID spray as has been mentioned, and then take the nest and burn to destroy any remainders.

All is well...
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited July 2007
    Wait until dark, position yourself where you can spray them without any splash back. Spray at the hive entrance, then saturate the entire nest. After 1/2 hour, hit them again. LEAVE THE NEST IN PLACE!!! Straglers that spent the night out will come back to the nest in the morning and try to enter the nest. They will die trying. This works very well to get all the critters. Knock the hive down the next night. Use a shovel and chuck it over the hill. Enjoy the genocide, I hate these little ****!
    Carl

• ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited July 2007
    bruss wrote: »
    I watched "RISK TAKERS" and this dude was dropping killer bee's with just sopy water.

He said it was all u needed.. lol

Wait until dark, Spray nest with 5 gallon of laundry detergent mixed with water.
    In the morning remove nest. The soap and water combination destroys their exoskeleton.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited July 2007
    ESAVINON wrote: »
    Wait until dark, Spray nest with 5 gallon of laundry detergent mixed with water.
    In the morning remove nest. The soap and water combination destroys their exoskeleton.

You are so cruel!! I like it! Torture them before you kill them. YEAH!!!:D ;) :eek:

Carl
    Carl

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited July 2007
    That's called dielectric shock, a nervous system thing, not exoskeleton destruction :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited July 2007
    My question is... what the hell are wasps for anyways? They just plain are so ugly to look at with their dangly little legs... I hate them!!! Do they really do Earth any good? Or are they just a pest?

Kill them ALL!!!
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited July 2007
    MR, I fell your pain and hatred toward the little beasties. 2 years ago I was putting up a bill board and got stung right in my taint, and I'll tell it taint funny, then I got stung again last summer putting up another bill board. That spray stuff will do the trick, it doesn't have to be raid the hardware store brand does a real good job. A new can will shoot up to 30 foot and as it runs down will still give a 20 ft reach. KILL 'EM, KILL 'EM ALL.
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited July 2007
    You guys are weak. We threw rocks at hornet nests.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • ESavinon
    edited July 2007
    You can blast them with some Britney Spears music.
    Her shrieking should drive them out of state.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • ESavinon
    edited July 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    That's called dielectric shock, a nervous system thing, not exoskeleton destruction :D

You are completely right.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,670
    edited July 2007
    Ahhhhh, what timing ! Tonight at work, I spent a couple of hours destroying a monster wasp nest from underneath a concrete deck overhang.

So.....

.....all commercial wasp/hornet/bee sprays are based on kerosene. Farmers used to use (and still do, I guess) kerosene to eliminate wasps, etc. Why ?
    Because there's NOTHING more effective at killing the little buggers. NADA.

So ... spray the nest with kerosene, and they drop like a fly hit with a sledgehammer.

Kerosene or commercial wasp killer (which is kerosene based) WILL leave a residue, so alternative solution #2 is just as effective (and was mentioned by George Grand):

Hot water. Not tepid, not pretty warm, not kind of hot, but
    HOT
    water.

Get a pot of water boiling on the stove (add about 10 tablespoons of salt to raise the boiling point about 10 degrees) and fill a small garden sprayer directly from the pot.
    Then.....spray away ! No residue, and it's about 99% as effective as kerosene.

My personal method used tonight was: Commercial alkaline foaming condersor coil cleaner in a garden sprayer (50/50 mix of cleaner/water). Sprayed a very hard to reach nest, walked away about 10 minutes, and VOILA ! Dead wasps everywhere !

....HUGE buggers, too.

:)
    Sal Palooza
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited July 2007
    the Honda-Tech thread is definately the way to go

http://killsomebees.ytmnd.com/
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited July 2007
    I heard that if you piss on them, they'll leave. Let me know how that works for you.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,670
    edited July 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    I heard that if you piss on them, they'll leave. Let me know how that works for you.

Well, I tried that once, and there was a lot of shouting and screaming and throwing of things and ....... just a second ..... are you still talking about wasps/hornets ?

....oh.....I thought you were talking about inlaws.

:o
    Sal Palooza
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited July 2007
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yhW3tk17Y_M"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yhW3tk17Y_M&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited July 2007
    Cool
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2007
    For some reason, our neck of the woods is crawling with them. Especially if you have a garden. I will find a good 15 nests on my house every summer. I just spray the hosers down with the hose and if I see one go for me, it gets tagged by the water at full force. They usually all fall to the ground where I angrily stomp on them!

On that note, Im gonna turn you guys into Peta, I know theres probably some code for insect rights. :):):)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • BaggedLancer
    edited July 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yhW3tk17Y_M"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yhW3tk17Y_M&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
    whoa wtf was that.......that was badass
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2007
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HuMS3KDNysM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HuMS3KDNysM&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

How about a pet hornet?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited July 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HuMS3KDNysM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HuMS3KDNysM&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

How about a pet hornet?

Ok, that's just sick and demented... and they need serious help. I got creeped out just watching it...
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited July 2007
    MrNightly wrote: »
    Ok, that's just sick and demented... and they need serious help. I got creeped out just watching it...

Looks like the stinger is removed.. I have a hornet I hit with raid pinned to my cubicle wall and its stinger is very pronounced and sharp
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited July 2007
    I had a pretty big nest outside of my bedroom window when I was in high school. It was about 40 feet off the ground stuck on a 2nd story eave of the roof. Raid wouldn't reach and I couldn't open the bedroom window without them swarming it was so close.

It was a gigantic ball and it only took them about a week and a half to build it because it wasn't there when we went on vacation.

So what I did was I got a Nerf football and gunned it as hard as I could at the nest. Once I saw positive and catastrophic contact with the hive, it began to plummet and I ran around to the front of the house and went inside. When the nest finally calmed downed after dark, we soaked it with Sevin (Carbaryl) which is essentially what an exterminator will use for wasps, hornets, bees, ants and sometimes termites. It lingers so if any stragglers are away, as soon as they return, they will die like the rest. It's wicked stuff to bees, wasps and hornets and essentially any insect. Use care though cause it will harm almost anything and it may not kill an animal or a human in a small amount, it will cause severe damage and is classified as a carcinogen. You can get it at any hardware or home improvement store.

Once they were all dead, some white fuel and a BBQ grille later and the nest was nothing but a pile of ash. No more wasps either.

Yeah, if you're good with a football and have a good arm, you can be pretty effective at knocking down a hornet's nest from a good distance away. Once the nest is on the ground, it is much easier to deal with.

If the nest is in the ground, I found that if it was accessible as such, if I parked a lawnmower, running, over the nest, they retreat into the nest and you can get enough time to go get a can of Raid, and move the mower to rain chemical death on the offending insects. All you have to do is saturate the entrance and they will drag it back into the nest through their defensive actions and removal of dead bugs killed by the poison. Then everything, including the larvae and unhatched eggs die.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • BaggedLancer
    edited July 2007
    Jstas wrote: »

If the nest is in the ground, I found that if it was accessible as such, if I parked a lawnmower, running, over the nest, they retreat into the nest and you can get enough time to go get a can of Raid, and move the mower to rain chemical death on the offending insects. All you have to do is saturate the entrance and they will drag it back into the nest through their defensive actions and removal of dead bugs killed by the poison. Then everything, including the larvae and unhatched eggs die.

My neighbor had a massive nest in the ground and burned them out with two m80's, left a small crater in the lawn but it got rid of the wasp problem.
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited July 2007
    I like the 10 ft foam spray , but I just have to get up close so there all looking at me and then I hosem down and watch them drop but if one gets off before I hitem I run , lil **** send me to the emergency room for a epipen shot uggg So I really enjoy killing the darn things......
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables