Starting over.....

JoshParsons84
JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
edited July 2007 in The Clubhouse
Well me and the old lady have been living in Martin Co. Kentucky for the past year 8-9 months and I've been having problem after problem with her family so one day I told her to hell with your family and I packed all my stuff and moved back to Charleston, WV. Well now I'm down here getting things going for myself and everything and decided that I wanna get my Home Theater and everything going back. I have a pretty good room in the basement for the system and have a 36" tube TV for now. This'll also be the system I'll put in my house whenever I find me something I like. I'm starting all over from scratch just with a TV. Now the last time I bought my HT I had $2,000 settlement money and went stupid with it. This time I'm spending my hard earned money for it so I wanna be smart about it. All I have is my TV, so....where do I go from there? Now I'm not a complete newbie like I said I had my old system before so I know I have to start with a source, right? So should I find an preamp and amp now or find a receiver with preouts? OR I've actually thought about this crazy idea too. Go out to CC or Best Buy or actually Walmart also and buying one of those HTiB and then just every so often replace this and that. What should I do?
Post edited by JoshParsons84 on

Comments

• Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited July 2007
    Buy used and raise your budget.

J/k about the budget part but I would look at good used equipment and after you figure out what you like start buying.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • JoshParsons84
    edited July 2007
    Well I know what I wanna end up with. I just dunno how to get started. All I have is my TV,DVD player and PS2. Where do I start at?
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited July 2007
    Receiver(w\preouts)and speakers, you already have a dvd. That will get you started. E-bay is a good place to pickup an overstock or refurbished receiver. After the upgadits hit you can buy an amp to run off of your receiver to power your speakers. Then just keep building from there until you are satisfied(like that ever happens around here:eek: :D ). Good luck and keep on keepin' on
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited July 2007
    Go to the stereo shop and listen to different equipment and see what you like then build a budget you can live with and start spending.

I like to buy used to save money.

You need to get speakers and something to power them (a processor or pre-amp with an amp)

Find the electronics you like and speakers that you hope will sound good with them and buy them; new or used is up to you.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • JoshParsons84
    edited July 2007
    Do y'all think a Walmart $150 HTiB is out of the question? Not even until I get some things going for me? Or should I go ahead and get a receiver and speakers?
  • JoshParsons84
    edited July 2007
    I've got Circuit City 5 minutes down the road from me. Should I check out what they got (receiver wise) or look on Ebay? I think just for now I can just afford a receiver. I've just been back in WV for 3 days now. I have to wait till I got a job which I've got 2 prospects lined up right now that are pretty guaranteed. So first of all what I do need #1 is a receiver, correct? Then after receiver is 2 front speakers, then center channel, then surrounds, then sub. In that order? Or another way?
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited July 2007
    You dumped your wife/girlfriend over her family? Or am I reading this all wrong? :confused:
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited July 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    You dumped your wife/girlfriend over her family? Or am I reading this all wrong? :confused:

:D You read that right!

Josh, they are INLAWS!!! Get use to it, they are all the same!:eek:
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited July 2007
    I'm just amazed that you left your girl, in laws, and home and your concerned about home theater.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited July 2007
    I'm just amazed that you left your girl, in laws, and home and your concerned about home theater.

You're a true audio guy!!!
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Early B.
    edited July 2007
    Well I know what I wanna end up with. I just dunno how to get started.

Start where you want to end. DO NOT buy interim gear. Be patient and get what you want the first time.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• wingnut4772
    edited July 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    You're a true audio guy!!!

True!LOL!:D
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,162
    edited July 2007
    First you have to come up with a budget. If the HTIB is all you can afford right now that is certainly better than nothing. If you can only afford a receiver right now not much point in getting it until you can afford the speakers to go with it. Or just wait until you can afford both.

Thoser are really your only 2 options after you set your budget

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited July 2007
    Here's how I see it. You've got zero money available for HT. Go ahead and take a reality pill and drink deep. As much fun as a decent HT would be, it sounds like you don't have a dime in savings, no job yet, and I'm not clear on your living accomodations. You need to land a job, save 3 months of salary for an emergency fund and then start working on a budget to buy the finer things in life. There's nothing like the security of money in the bank.
  • AALEE
    AALEE Posts: 51
    edited July 2007
    Hey Josh,

It seems you now what you need at this stage in your life but I agree with the previous comment, get your affairs in order before you run up a credit card account that will destroy, "DESTROY" you in the future. Come on, getting out of a relationship is hard enough regardles of the circumstances..shake your head, jump up and down and let it go. Now if it were me, I would dump the tv and get a 42" Sony LCD, direct tv connection, sunfire amp and reciever, 4 9's with a center, huge sub and a new couch with a built in frig for the case of beer. Of course this would only last until the next payment, then I would be worse off then before, only now she won't take me back. Good luck
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited July 2007
    Hmmm..... well if you were here I could give you enough gear for you and all your ex inlaws to have a home theater also lmaooo. I have way too much stuff :eek:

I think though you should worry about making sure you have a job and a lttle money in the bank before you start thinking about building up a home theater. Take it one step at a time and you will get there. You have to be sure you have money for the (home) part first.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,670
    edited July 2007
    Just curious: any kids involved ?
    Sal Palooza
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited July 2007
    Guys don't waste your time. This guy is a crackpot. Look at his old posts, asking the same questions over & over again & never taking any of the advice given.

Now he up's & leaves his wife because of his inlaws?

This immature jerk needs a psychiatrist not audio equipment!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Early B.
    edited July 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Guys don't waste your time. This guy is a crackpot. Look at his old posts, asking the same questions over & over again & never taking any of the advice given.

Cathy --

You're calling him a crackpot just because he left his wife and inlaws for an HT system? I don't see a problem here...

• JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited July 2007
    just get ahold of Russ or Doro they have everything you need :)
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • wingnut4772
    edited July 2007
    Cathy --

You're calling him a crackpot just because he left his wife and inlaws for an HT system? I don't see a problem here...

LOL!:D

Cathy , you totally said it all.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• MikeC78
    edited July 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »

:D Cathy is being very blunt!
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2007
    so he separated from his wife because he didn't like his inlaws? wow.. that's pretty drastic if you ask me. Now instead wants to build a kick **** system?

I think someone needs to grow up.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • MikeC78
    edited July 2007
    Josh,

Keep in mind that most people who spend their money on audio/HT equipment use something called "disposable income", an amount of money that is usually left over after paying your bills.(In a nut shell)

In your case, I'd save every penny that you come across. I see a divorce(sorry to say) in the near future, and be prepared, they are by no means 'cheap'.

Just trying to help you out in life, have you considered spending your money on an education instead? knowledge is power, which in turn can land you nice position in life which will help you generate lots of disposable income.
  • JoshParsons84
    edited July 2007
    No I have a couple of things lined up for income I'm still talking to people about. Me and my woman didn't split up, I just told her I was done with her parents and Kentucky in general. I told her I was coming back to Charleston and I was gonna get things going for us down here. I just wanted to have some kind of a HT started before I get a house. That's all. And cfrizz when I post something if your just gonna be rude all the time, then stay the hell out of my posts. You know what when you say something I'm not rude and disrespectful to you so you can kiss my ****.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited July 2007
    Then perhaps you need to see a psychiatrist too, or grow up as well!:eek: :p:D
    Cathy --

Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Drumingman
    Drumingman Posts: 348
    edited July 2007
    Why are you guys picking on this Poor Hillbilly from the Great State of West By God Virginia? While most of you don't live there, I'd bet Most of you don't have In-laws from the Poor White Trash Hills of Kentucky. This could present a problem all by itself, Not that there's anthing wrong with that.
  • JoshParsons84
    edited July 2007
    Y'all dont understand how her parents were, especially her dad. To me even though I was providing for all 5 of their grandkids I was still a piece of **** and I wasn't gonna do anything but screw all of them over. Even though I was working 60+ hours a week at $10 and hour, which in Eastern Kentucky that's good money and they was living off welfare I was still nothing in their eyes so you know what I was like "yeah to hell with y'all" and I came back down here to the city to try and get something going for me and my family. It's just along the way I wanna get a little bit on the side for me ie. my home theater. I have a pretty good setup right now, I have no bills and my car is totally paid for. So once I start working, every payday is all profit. So if I make $200 a week that's $200 a week I can put in the bank and put back.
  • JoshParsons84
    edited July 2007
    What I'm gonna try to do is get something that pays good and find a 4-5 bedroom house in St. Albans, Teays Valley area which I know y'all dont know WV but that's kinda like in the city kinda out in the country where I wanna live. I wanna find me a house to rent (for now) where I dont have good enough credit for a house loan and turn the rent into a rent-to-own deal.
  • JoshParsons84
    edited July 2007
    Do you now see why I'm wanting to know what I should do first as far as home theater? I'll try to get most of the expensive stuff first, and that way when I get my home I'll have at least half of my home theater done. And then that way I can let my GF spend whatever she wants on the house. I should be able to find a 4 bedroom house with a basement/rec room for like 600-700 a month. Then I'll talk to the landlord and see if we can work out some land contract for rent-to-own.