Venus Williams Wins Wimbledon (again)

Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited July 2007 in The Clubhouse
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited July 2007
    Not surprising, considering her opponent pulled off a HUGE upset of Henin in the semis, and really wasn't "expected" to be there. She was something like an 18 seed.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited July 2007
    Venus was 31 seed.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited July 2007
    But mostly due to injury, not lack of skill - everyone knows the Williams sisters and knows they're phenomenal. The girl she played had never won a Grand Slam event.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,798
    edited July 2007
    I think she would have beaten Henin as well. She has only lost to her once. They have not played each other in three years but she has a 7-1 record against her.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited July 2007
    I sooooo tired of the Venus Williams.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • xsmi
    edited July 2007
    I think you speak for a lot of fans. I noticed her semi-final win was the fourth story on espn. The sad part is she was the only American left in the tournament and they couldn't get excited about it.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited July 2007
    "Never underestimate the heart of a champion" Rudy T (Tomjanovich)
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2007
    I never cared for the Williams family. They are the reason I quit watching womens tennis. When Venus first started out, her and her dad played the race card every chance they got. Got a bad call? The ump is a racist. Her stupid hair beads keep falling out and onto the court so the ump docks her points? The ump is a racist. A player accidentally bumps into her when they switch sides? Obviously a racist.

It got super old really quick!

Their dad is a piece of human debris as well. When Venus won her first Wimbeldon I believe he jumped up on the stands waving around a big old sign reading "ITS VENUS" PARTY AND YOURE NOT INVITED".

What an a-hole.

And yeah, they win a lot of matches. Theyre 6'3" 190 lbs! They should be playing in the men's league.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • criverajr
    criverajr Posts: 1,675
    edited July 2007
    I agree with everything you say but at the top of their game, they are practically unbeatable, having to much money can hurt your motivation. The dad is another story, all someone has to do to shut him up is beat Venus or Serena. Again when they go full out, one word: UNBEATABLE!!!!

CRJ
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited July 2007
    I was pulling for Henin. A class act all the way - in victory & in defeat. And she doesn't scream every time she hits the ball!!!
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited July 2007
    Class Act ? ... You must have missed the time-out incident at the French
  • xsmi
    edited July 2007
    Or what about the yelling at someone in the crowd during her nest to last match. I like her, I just realize she is human, they all are. Listen, I know the Williams' have experienced racism in tennis and when you do it makes you hypersensitive. We as the public do not know what is being said to her behind closed doors and we don't know what was shouted at them on the court especially in the early days. They are blazing new trails and they have drawn more Black Americans to the game. Yes there were Black Americans who played the game before them. Yes they won. But none like them and it caused a lot of animosity among the competitors, remember Martina Hingus? If she was willing to say what she said out loud, you know it was being said at least 10 times behind closed doors. BTW I don't dislike Hingus for what she said, I dislike her because she kept beating Monica Seles.
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited July 2007
    Class Act ? ... You must have missed the time-out incident at the French

I must have!
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited July 2007
    xsmi wrote: »
    Or what about the yelling at someone in the crowd during her nest to last match. I like her, I just realize she is human, they all are. Listen, I know the Williams' have experienced racism in tennis and when you do it makes you hypersensitive. We as the public do not know what is being said to her behind closed doors and we don't know what was shouted at them on the court especially in the early days. They are blazing new trails and they have drawn more Black Americans to the game. Yes there were Black Americans who played the game before them. Yes they won. But none like them and it caused a lot of animosity among the competitors, remember Martina Hingus? If she was willing to say what she said out loud, you know it was being said at least 10 times behind closed doors. BTW I don't dislike Hingus for what she said, I dislike her because she kept beating Monica Seles.

What did she say?
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,162
    edited July 2007

Hingis was a very young teen at the time and being in the spotlight she said some things that she probably never meant deep down. It happens, I'm not excusing it, but we all make mistakes especially when we are young, hungry and naive.

I'm sure she regretted it at the time, now it time to move on; that statement/comment was said about 10 years ago. If Hingis had continued that type of behaviour for the past 10 years then I'd say her original comment had merrit. It doesn't.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, I remember Hingis as having a smart mouth but I dont remember her saying anything racist at all.

Quite the contrary - the press is kissing their asses because theyre black. A small example, in Serena's match against Henin, Henin smacked a beautiful cross court shot that she hit from outside the baseline and it bounced just inside the opposite line. Beautiful shot! Serena tried for it and slipped and fell. All 3 commentators spent the next 5 minutes talking about the "heart" of Serena and how she keeps on fighting. Not one mention of the level of play Henin was at - just how Serena's falling down meant she was a true champ.

And the Williams are not unbeatable even at their best. They are twice the size and strength of the other women players and can hit the ball twice as hard so they have a huge advantage but despite that fact, they still get beat quite often. Granted its not easy when most women serve at 100 mph and the Williams serve at 130!

And Henin was yelling to her coach in that match. Not to some innocent spectator.

And I too am SICK AND TIRED of listening to them scream on every shot!
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • xsmi
    edited July 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Yeah, I remember Hingis as having a smart mouth but I dont remember her saying anything racist at all.

Quite the contrary - the press is kissing their asses because theyre black. A small example, in Serena's match against Henin, Henin smacked a beautiful cross court shot that she hit from outside the baseline and it bounced just inside the opposite line. Beautiful shot! Serena tried for it and slipped and fell. All 3 commentators spent the next 5 minutes talking about the "heart" of Serena and how she keeps on fighting. Not one mention of the level of play Henin was at - just how Serena's falling down meant she was a true champ.

And the Williams are not unbeatable even at their best. They are twice the size and strength of the other women players and can hit the ball twice as hard so they have a huge advantage but despite that fact, they still get beat quite often. Granted its not easy when most women serve at 100 mph and the Williams serve at 130!

And Henin was yelling to her coach in that match. Not to some innocent spectator.

Sorry,

What she said is what Macleod just repeated. She and Macleod forget is that when she said that, Sarena was the No. 1 player in the world and the press was on their bandwagon because they were the BEST players in the world! Sarena was Ranked No.1 and Venus was No. 3. They were also Doubles champions in 2 of the four majors that year. To discount what they accomplished and say that it was only because they were black IS racist! Race does not enter into conversation when Hingis, Henin, or the like win a championship and it should not when the Williams' win either but it does everytime and that we are discussing this because of the second or third post in this forum should make us all examine our own hearts.

Point was that Henin screaming during a match at ANYONE as a professional is not right I don't care who she is screaming at. I take exception to anyone screaming at the people who are supposed to be in your corner, and I think it is unprofessional. We lambasted Terrell Owens for yelling at his receiver coach and he waited until he was on the sidelines. We shouldn't give her a pass just like we didn't give him one.

Lastly, the Williams sisters did not invent screaming during a shot (which I do understand why they do it). I hated watching Seles and Agassi for that very reason. But their play was at such a high level I just got over it. To each his own.

Listen, I don't dislike Henin. As a matter of fact I love watching her play. She plays the game with a style and grace that I have not seen in the women's game in a long time. As the Williams sisters ascended to the top, all the ladies worked on a power game. Henin has enough power to play with anyone and ball control and knowledge to beat anyone. I think I am attracted to the women's game more right now because there isn't an American man winning majors right now (short skirts not withstanding), Roddick lets me down every time.
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2007
    Sorry,

What she said is what Macleod just repeated. She and Macleod forget is that when she said that, Sarena was the No. 1 player in the world and the press was on their bandwagon because they were the BEST players in the world! Sarena was Ranked No.1 and Venus was No. 3. They were also Doubles champions in 2 of the four majors that year. To discount what they accomplished and say that it was only because they were black IS racist! Race does not enter into conversation when Hingis, Henin, or the like win a championship and it should not when the Williams' win either but it does everytime and that we are discussing this because of the second or third post in this forum should make us all examine our own hearts.

Oh please. The reason race is brought up every time we discuss them is because THEY bring up race every chance they get!!! Venus and her father were playing the race card virtually the instance they stepped foot on the court back in the late 90's and they are the ones responsible for it being tied in to every discussion about them. I dont think Ive EVER heard anyone say theyre champions just because theyre black. Thats stupid?! Nobody is questioning their abilities.

And I totally reject the notion that we are somehow "closet racists" just becasue we respond to some opportunistic race baitors when they play that card everytime something doesnt go their way. Its baseless, stupid and on the same level and the William's behavior. It is possible to criticize a black person and not be a racist. :rolleyes:
    Point was that Henin screaming during a match at ANYONE as a professional is not right I don't care who she is screaming at. I take exception to anyone screaming at the people who are supposed to be in your corner, and I think it is unprofessional. We lambasted Terrell Owens for yelling at his receiver coach and he waited until he was on the sidelines. We shouldn't give her a pass just like we didn't give him one.

Whose giving her a pass? We're just saying that because she let emotion get ahold of her doesnt mean she has no class. And I dont even remember TO yelling at his coach. Must not have been that big a deal.
    Lastly, the Williams sisters did not invent screaming during a shot (which I do understand why they do it). I hated watching Seles and Agassi for that very reason. But their play was at such a high level I just got over it. To each his own.

No, they didnt invent it - they just took it to a whole new annoying level. At least Selles made an interesting noise instead of just screaming at the top of her lungs. Sharapova is as annoying too. That "HOOOOO" she makes drives me crazy! I can barely watch her matches too....unless I turn the volume down....which I do because she's pretty damn smokin'! :p
    Listen, I don't dislike Henin. As a matter of fact I love watching her play. She plays the game with a style and grace that I have not seen in the women's game in a long time. As the Williams sisters ascended to the top, all the ladies worked on a power game. Henin has enough power to play with anyone and ball control and knowledge to beat anyone. I think I am attracted to the women's game more right now because there isn't an American man winning majors right now (short skirts not withstanding), Roddick lets me down every time.

With ya on that! I would also much rather watch cute women run around on a court than a bunch of sweaty dudes! :D

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited July 2007
    With ya on that! I would also much rather watch cute women run around on a court than a bunch of sweaty dudes! :D
    To each their own.........lol........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited July 2007
    I get tired of hearing how hot the Williams sisters are. Uhhhhh....NO! Both are mutts with big butts!

The father can take a flying leap. He's an angry old man flipping the race card every chance he gets!

SB
    No excuses!
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2007
    brettw22 wrote: »
    To each their own.........lol........

Waaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha!!

Not much I can say about that one! :D:p

• candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited July 2007
    I guess you either love them or hate them. I love them. Controversy is good for the sport and they are princesses compared to Mcenroe and Conners and even Martina Navratilova.
  • xsmi
    edited July 2007
    When you say "The ONLY reason we pay attention to them is because they are black" you are leaving out the fact they are awesome players. And again, you nor I know what was being said to them behind closed doors and while they are on the court yo make them react that way. It is something you will never understand... finish the sentence.

When Charles Barkley said "The only reason people pay attention to Larry Bird is because he is white", what was your take? When Rush Limbaugh said the only reason people pay attention to McNabb is because he is black he lost his job, should he? You are right you can criticize a black, white, hispanic, asian, whoever you want without being a racist. But disregarding their accomplishments and saying they are stars becuase of their race, I'm sorry is racist.

You did and yes it was a big deal. It was their final Monday night game after he caught a TD and they were all over it all week.

Sharapova's "moan" makes me almost want to touch myself. :D I'd love to make her scream even louder, but that was another thread.

Be tired of the Williams sisters all you want. I think they have been good for tennis in the US. It has not bourn out yet, but it will. ;)
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2007
    When you say "The ONLY reason we pay attention to them is because they are black" you are leaving out the fact they are awesome players. And again, you nor I know what was being said to them behind closed doors and while they are on the court yo make them react that way. It is something you will never understand... finish the sentence.

But disregarding their accomplishments and saying they are stars becuase of their race, I'm sorry is racist.

Feel free to point out where I said "the only reason we pay attention to them is because they are black." Im not sure what posts youre reading, but I know it aint none of mine!

Im criticizing them for their actions and behavior, not their race.

Their actions are playing the race card everytime you turn around. I think thats B.S. (Barbara Streisand) and Im calling it as such.

And for the record, both Charles Barkely AND Rush Limbaugh were dead on RIGHT! Bird was a great player but he got more publicity because he was one of the very few great white players. If he'd been black, he wouldnt have been as well known. Same with McNabb. At the time Rush made his comments, McNabb was the 3rd worst rated QB in the league. He's never performed to the level of Manning or Aikman but is slobbered over by the press as the 2nd coming. Hell, when McNabb left the team last year due to injury, they played better than they had in years!!

Nothing really wrong with it either. Its human nature. People root for the underdog. There hasnt been a really successful and great black QB and so people tend to root for guys like McNabb to become that. Thats not racist, in fact its mostly white people rooting for him to succeed!!!!

• xsmi
    edited July 2007

Second paragraph. The reason they kiss their asses is because thats what we do for champions.
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2007
    The press does kiss their **** because theyre black. Theyre afraid to criticize them!

Thats a far cry from me saying we only pay attention to them because theyre black and not because of their accomplishments.

• xsmi
    edited July 2007
    Doug Williams was not a great QB? Warren Moon was not a GREAT QB? Don't speak in absolutes! I take it you did not watch much NBA during the '80's. Even Barkley appologized for that staement after Bird tourched him for 46. If Limbaugh's statement had been accurate don't you think he would have sued to get his job back? And you remember history with holes in it. Philly was banged up and hen they stared getting healthy is when McNabb went down. They just did a story on the Eagles on NFL network the other day. Oh and BTW who was the league MVP in the NFL for 05-06?
  • xsmi
    edited July 2007
    The press does kiss their **** because theyre black. Theyre afraid to criticize them!

Thats a far cry from me saying we only pay attention to them because theyre black and not because of their accomplishments.

Someone should have given that memo to Patrick McEnroe last year. He was all over Sarena about her conditioning until he found out she was playing hurt. So their accomplishments mean nothing it's because they are black?
  • xsmi
    edited July 2007
    Oh and how can I leave my favorite off the above list Randall Cunningham.
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2007
    Doug Williams was not a great QB? Warren Moon was not a GREAT QB? Don't speak in absolutes! I take it you did not watch much NBA during the '80's. Even Barkley appologized for that staement after Bird tourched him for 46. If Limbaugh's statement had been accurate don't you think he would have sued to get his job back? And you remember history with holes in it. Philly was banged up and hen they stared getting healthy is when McNabb went down. They just did a story on the Eagles on NFL network the other day. Oh and BTW who was the league MVP in the NFL for 05-06?

Oh for Pete's sake. Nobody ever said these guys werent great players. Most of the NFL players are great. But how many black QB's have won Superbowls? 1 as far as I know. Name off to yourself some of the best QB's in history. Id wager theyd all be white. THATS what Rush and me are talking about. There has never been a black Montana or Marino or Manning or Aikman or Staubuck or Bradshaw or Namath or Starr.......
    xsmi wrote:
    Someone should have given that memo to Patrick McEnroe last year. He was all over Sarena about her conditioning until he found out she was playing hurt. So their accomplishments mean nothing it's because they are black?

sad-smiley-028.gif

Unreal. If you havent got it after Ive said it like 5 times now youre not going to. Goodnight Gracie.