Prayer Request

audiobliss
audiobliss Posts: 12,518
edited July 2007 in The Clubhouse
Hey everybody. I'd like to request your prayers for the next two weeks or so. A friend and I from church are heading out Thursday morning for Albania on a mission trip.

We'll be working through an organization called World English Institute, and we'll be teaching Albanians of all ages (though mostly HS seniors and college-age students) English through what started out as a Bible correspondance course and a set of English grammar books. Four years of English grammar is a prerequisite, so we'll be mostly teaching conversational English and helping them become more familiar/comfortable with the language. We'll be working with about 22 or 23 other teachers, so while it's not a huge effort, it's still pretty sizable.

We'll be gone through the 22nd of July, so I probably won't be posting on here much for a while. :p

We leave Thursday morning out of Greensboro for Washington DC, then to Vienna, Austria, then finally into Tirana, Albania, where we'll be working. This is the first time I've ever been on a commercial plane or been out of the country, so I'm really excited about the plane trip and seeing another country in addition to the mission work itself.

As I understand it, we'll be staying in a seven room hotel...and we're not to expect A/C. However, there will be showers, so I suppose that's a plus.

Your thoughts and prayers over the next few weeks would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT - Anybody have a small integrated and light bookshelf speakers I might could pack in my second suitcase? :D:D
Jstas wrote: »
Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
In Use
PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
Epson 8700UB

In Storage
[Home Audio]
Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
Post edited by audiobliss on

Comments

• edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited July 2007
    The wife and I will definitely lift you up during this time.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited July 2007
    Sounds great, enjoy it. I'm sure you've been told but bring gum for that plane ride. Takeoffs and landings pop my eardrums and it takes awhile before you feel normal again.:( Overall it should be a wonderful experience for you. Can't wait to hear about it when you get back! :) Prayers are w/you.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited July 2007
    Done, and done. This kind of work is very rewarding. I have done some work trips for Word of Life bible School in NY, and for local members in need. The spiritual payment is way better than any monetary payment you can receive.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited July 2007
    Done bro. Very cool that you are doing this. Have a safe trip and take lost of pics.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited July 2007
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited July 2007
    watch your @ss!!

***translation, be careful....and aware of your surroundings at all times.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,162
    edited July 2007
    Have a safe, rewarding and successful trip.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited July 2007
    Prayer sent.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited July 2007
    Good for you! My daughter and some of her friends have done similar mission trips and have come back having gained much more than they were able to give.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited July 2007
    Prayers sent. Good luck.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • audiobliss
    edited July 2007
    Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes. They're much appreciated!

I won't be able to bump this thread while I'm gone, but I would be greatly indebted to your continued prayers!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited July 2007
    Sorry, I don't pray anymore, but I can send you well wishes and wishes of good luck. Hope all goes smooth, great work your doing.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited July 2007
    Have a safe and fun trip. Albania should be fairly safe place to travel, it's not a hostile territory. In fact, it's one of the most USA friendly countries at the moment.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2007-06-10-bush-europe_N.htm
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited July 2007
    Way to go Mike. . . our prayers are with you!!!
  • duksbak
    duksbak Posts: 134
    edited July 2007
    Go have a great time doing God's will.

We'll still be here when you get back. Be safe and prayers sent your way!
    Television: Mitsubishi WD-57732
    Front R/L: Polkaudio RTiA7
    Center: Polkaudio CSiA4
    Rear R/L: Polkaudio FXiA4
    Subwoofer: Polkaudio DSW600
    A/V Reciever: Denon 2808
    DVD/SACD: Sony Playstation 3
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited July 2007
    Best wishes on your journey. Godspeed.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2007
    have fun... and the work does sound rewarding. I can't speak for the Albanian's, but most folks in those countries are very happy to see help from America. I think you'll return with a renewed sense of self worth.

peace
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited July 2007
    Michael, you are, and will be in my thoughts and prayers. I admire your motivation and faith to be a missionary. What you are doing takes courage. You are in for the adventure of your life. You will be touched in ways that will help you grow as a person. God speed!!:)
    Carl

• woofiepaws
    woofiepaws Posts: 215
    edited July 2007
    Wishing you well. I've spent a bit of time in that part of the world, and came away with different perspectives.
  • audiobliss
    edited July 2007
    Thanks to all for your thoughts and prayers. The fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much, and may I add it provides much comfort for the one prayed for.

I found out last night that this 'seven room hotel' shouldn't be too bad. Each of us have our own room and our own bath, so the accomodations shouldn't be an issue.

I finally finished all the packing here a few minutes ago, and I'm pretty sure I have everything I'll need all together. My checked piece is a large (my second largest) rolling suitcase and weighs in at 45 pounds, and my 'carry-on' is a backpack that's 20x11x14 and weighs 22 pounds. My backpack is a little iffy in the depth department, but I'm hoping it'll pass just fine.

Again, I really appreciate all the thoughts and prayers; they don't go unheard, nor do they go unanswered!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited July 2007
    Onward Christian Soldier! You do us proud!