We're at WAR last time I checked....

2»

Comments

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited July 2007
    The real reason we are in Iraq is that's what the think tank guys wanted.
    We used to have Iran as our "friendly MidEastern" country. Carter screwed
    that up bigtime. We then had to make sure nobody won between the many
    battles between Iran and Iraq. A unified extremist state or Hussain in charge
    of that much of the region would of been a recipe for disaster.
    The trouble is, between Iran and Saudi radicals, we are in for a rough
    ride. There is a good chance Pakistan will fall to radical control in the next
    two years. They almost killed off all the top leaders there a couple of years ago.
    Turkey and Saudi Arabia are also not looking too good.
    There will at some time be a huge unified group of extremists states with
    deep oil money pockets to push for a worldwide Jihad.
    The only real way to slow it down would of been to spend all that
    Iraq war money for a conversion over to hydrogen/other fuel base.
    No cash cow, no terrorist funding.
    The money that could of helped fix this is gone. Down the toilet for a lost cause.
    Iraq history shows us they hate Western control. Most of their citizens would
    prefer to have a ruthless dictator over a "Western" friendly government.
    You can not force democracy. It must be wanted and earned by the people
    that live there. I wish I had a better answer to the problem. We leave,
    Iran will take over. We stay, more wasted lives and money.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,670
    edited July 2007
    sucks2beme wrote:
    The real reason we are in Iraq is that's what the think tank guys wanted.
    We used to have Iran as our "friendly MidEastern" country. Carter screwed
    that up bigtime. We then had to make sure nobody won between the many
    battles between Iran and Iraq. A unified extremist state or Hussain in charge
    of that much of the region would of been a recipe for disaster.
    The trouble is, between Iran and Saudi radicals, we are in for a rough
    ride. There is a good chance Pakistan will fall to radical control in the next
    two years. They almost killed off all the top leaders there a couple of years ago.
    Turkey and Saudi Arabia are also not looking too good.
    There will at some time be a huge unified group of extremists states with
    deep oil money pockets to push for a worldwide Jihad.

The only real way to slow it down would of been to spend all that
    Iraq war money for a conversion over to hydrogen/other fuel base.
    No cash cow, no terrorist funding.
    The money that could of helped fix this is gone. Down the toilet for a lost cause.
    Iraq history shows us they hate Western control. Most of their citizens would
    prefer to have a ruthless dictator over a "Western" friendly government.
    You can not force democracy. It must be wanted and earned by the people
    that live there. I wish I had a better answer to the problem. We leave,
    Iran will take over. We stay, more wasted lives and money.

And that time is coming. When it does, I hope that the political leaders we have in Washington, on both sides of the aisle have the vision to help guide us through, and out of, the extremely tough times that are coming.

As you mentioned, sucks2beme, you wish you had a better answer to the problem. So do I. So do a lot of folks, some of whom post on CP.
    But that isn't our job; unfortunately, others who's job it is to come up with and provide solutions for difficult problems, aren't.
    Our Executive and Legislative branches aren't the shining beacons on the hill that they should be and are needed in times like this, IMO.
    Sal Palooza
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited July 2007
    F1nut wrote: »
    The Democrat's, controlling the Congress have a 23% approval rating, lower than the President. Stick that in your hash pipe and smoke it. You want to know why? Simple, because they get absolutely nothing done except raising their salaries. Is that loud enough for you??? At least, when the Republicans had the votes they got some stuff done.

I've got some other news for you, every 2nd term President is a lame duck, DUH!!!

You know, I really hate to say this, but watch how fast that percentage for support of sticking to those **** changes when, not if, but when they kill more Americans on our soil. How fast people like you forget and how ignorant you are.

he wasnt voted president if you remember correctly

On election night, the news media twice declared a winner in the state of Florida prematurely based on exit polls,[1] before deciding the race was too close to call. It became clear that both candidates needed Florida's electoral votes to win the presidency. A month of controversial court challenges and recounts followed, until the Supreme Court of the United States in Bush v. Gore agreed 7-2 that there were Equal Protection issues in using different standards of counting ballots in different counties. It then halted further recounts by voting 5-4 to ban further recounts using alternate procedures. Bush was certified as the winner in Florida by a margin of 537 votes, thereby defeating Gore. It was the third time in American history that a candidate won the vote in the Electoral College without receiving a plurality of the popular vote; it also happened in the elections of 1876 and 1888. In 1824 John Quincy Adams received a majority in neither the popular vote nor the electoral college vote and was selected President by the U.S. House of Representatives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._presidential_election,_2000
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited July 2007
    No doubt that Republicans are responsible for the "Electoral College". Pfff.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited July 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Thank God people didnt think like this in 1941.

"Why are we attacking Germany? They never did anything to us. It was Japan that attacked us not Gernamy. All we're doing now is creating more ****."

I firmly believe that if we had to fight WWII right now, we would lose. We as a society dont have the guts to fight a war anymore. Just think, we lost over 3,000 soldiers on D-Day alone!!! 7,000+ casualties in ONE DAY! But we fought on and won.

We sure did! His name was Joe Kennedy, they called themselves isolationists. Sound familiar? He actually said Democracy was finished in Britain and most of Europe and that we should side with Germany. These statements were made in 1939 and cost him his political career. Most people forget he wanted to become President before he pushed his sons.
    Carl

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited July 2007
    rskarvan wrote: »

No doubt, considering the Electoral College was established in the Constitution (1787) while the Republican Party was established in 1854.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited July 2007
    rskarvan wrote: »

Typical left winger...no facts....only talking points.
    Republicans bad....Dems good....jeez...give me a break!
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,978
    edited July 2007
    Silverti wrote:
    Hey dudes, I can take it! I fully understand that there’s still 15% of this country that actually thinks we should be in this "war" and those numbers are still shrinking.
    And do you actually think for one moment that if another 911 type attack, that these #'s wouldn't change quickly back to the overwhelming support that was united in the days following 911? Even your opinion if it wiped out your entire family? ............or would you blame Bush?

How in the hell do you put together that 911 and Iraq are not tied together? I am assuming in your mind that Afghanistan had no ties to 911 either? Or were we just trying to corner the poppy market?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • rskarvan
    edited July 2007
    They bombed the twin towers. That gives Bush the right to do whatever the heck he wants anywhere in the world for any cause what-so-ever. We get that.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited July 2007
    Americans, including the Democrats in congress (current Presidential nominees) who voted for it, fully supported this war when it started.

As soon as the war got hard and soldiers started to come back in caskets the reality of war (death) set in for the spineless American populace.

Ask the people who are actually on the ground fighting this war and they'll sing you a different song than our pathetic "news" media.

I got very good friends over there in the thick of things, including one of my best friends in the SEALS. Some of you **** **** spouting off all of your **** really chaffs my ****. Could care less if you're Republican or Democrats, just learn to keep your **** mouths shut when our friends and families are over there dying so you can have the freedom flap your **** gums about **** you know nothing about.

:mad:
  • rskarvan
    edited July 2007
    The soldiers are doing a fabulous job and they deserve our highest respect.
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited July 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Americans, including the Democrats in congress (current Presidential nominees) who voted for it, fully supported this war when it started.

As soon as the war got hard and soldiers started to come back in caskets the reality of war (death) set in for the spineless American populace.

Ask the people who are actually on the ground fighting this war and they'll sing you a different song than our pathetic "news" media.

I got very good friends over there in the thick of things, including one of my best friends in the SEALS. Some of you **** **** spouting off all of your **** really chaffs my ****. Could care less if you're Republican or Democrats, just learn to keep your **** mouths shut when our friends and families are over there dying so you can have the freedom flap your **** gums about **** you know nothing about.

DING DING DING!
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited July 2007

Yeah lets put our heads in the dirt and not question whats going on cause you have some friends in the army. Everyone has friends or relatives over there doesnt mean we want them there. The day you stop questioning why the war is still going the faster these SOBs can keep up the fighting for no reason other to make themselves more money
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • irishaz
    irishaz Posts: 161
    edited July 2007
    As someone who has friends and family over there (at this point, I think most of us do), what in the world does their dying in Iraq have to do with guaranteeing our freedom of expression? Absolutely nothing in my opinion. This war is a mess and has been just that for the past few years.

The people I know that have been there do speak of the many positive things that are happening in Afghanistan and Iraq, but even they can't give a real crystal clear reason why we are there, nor do they have any idea how long we will be there. My guess is that our freedom of expression wouldn't enter into the equation. Helping disorganized, oppressed, economically challenged people seems more like something they would lean towards. Iraq is just one of many, many, countries that fit that description.

Could care less if you're Republican or Democrats, just learn to keep your f-ing mouths shut when our friends and families are over there dying so you can have the freedom flap your f-ing gums about **** you know nothing about.

Hell, your statement attempts to limit the same right you claim soldier's are dying to protect. It's not protected speech only when you agree with it.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,437
    edited July 2007
    JimBRICK wrote: »
    he wasnt voted president if you remember correctly

On election night, the news media twice declared a winner in the state of Florida prematurely based on exit polls,[1] before deciding the race was too close to call. It became clear that both candidates needed Florida's electoral votes to win the presidency. A month of controversial court challenges and recounts followed, until the Supreme Court of the United States in Bush v. Gore agreed 7-2 that there were Equal Protection issues in using different standards of counting ballots in different counties. It then halted further recounts by voting 5-4 to ban further recounts using alternate procedures. Bush was certified as the winner in Florida by a margin of 537 votes, thereby defeating Gore. It was the third time in American history that a candidate won the vote in the Electoral College without receiving a plurality of the popular vote; it also happened in the elections of 1876 and 1888. In 1824 John Quincy Adams received a majority in neither the popular vote nor the electoral college vote and was selected President by the U.S. House of Representatives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._presidential_election,_2000

Just how you tied that into my quoted comment is beyond me. :rolleyes:
    JimBRICK wrote:
    Yeah lets put our heads in the dirt and not question whats going on cause you have some friends in the army. Everyone has friends or relatives over there doesnt mean we want them there. The day you stop questioning why the war is still going the faster these SOBs can keep up the fighting for no reason other to make themselves more money

Our heads??? You don't even live in America. What friends or relatives do YOU have over there? Please stop posting about things you know nothing about.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited July 2007

BINGO!!!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited July 2007

Right on Bro

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited July 2007
    JimBRICK wrote: »

You are going to sit up there in the north, and preach to us. When they stop fighting there they will be here. So you can say what you want I doubt they are coming for you.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• rskarvan
    edited July 2007
    Last time I checked, Canada was our friend. Jimbrick is free to speak whatever he wants. Personally, I agree with 90+% of what he is saying. Or, you can just put your head in the dirt and not question what is going on around you because you are too ignorant to realize that Bush is one of the worst presidents this country has ever had.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2007
    Canada does have troops in Afganistan fighting shoulder to shoulder the war on terror with our American and NATO friends.And yes we are on their hit list.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • F1nut
    edited July 2007
    I've got a one way ticket to Paris reserved in your name Ronny.

President of Club Polk

• rskarvan
    edited July 2007
    Send it to me!
  • F1nut
    edited July 2007
    Send me your address!

President of Club Polk

This discussion has been closed.