Need earbuds for iPod

audiobliss
audiobliss Posts: 12,518
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
The earbuds that came with my iPod have finally given up the ghost, and I'm riding a plane here next week and need some new ones! So, what's good? I definitely want earbuds for portability and for using for working out. My budget can probably extend to about $100, but I'm not sure I really wanna spend that much. I noticed Target has the Shure E2c for $100. Never used any Shure earbuds before. They sound nice? Comfortable? Durable?

What really stands out as being durable, comfortable, and anything else note-worthy? Anybody have any they're looking to sell?

Would greatly appreciate any info!
Jstas wrote: »
Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
In Use
PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
Epson 8700UB

In Storage
[Home Audio]
Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
Post edited by audiobliss on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited June 2007
    You can probably find the e3c on sale for $100 somewhere, or on ebay.

I've been using the e3c for years, and love em. I can take a minute to get used to having them jammed tight into your ear, and coming to grips with the fact that you can't hear ANYTHING else when you wear em. They come with different sized sets of "plugs" to fit your ears.

After you get over those things, you'll realize just how BAD most ear buds out there really are.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited June 2007
    I have some Sony earbuds I got for $50 a couple years ago. They are comfortable, sound great (to me), durable as hell (gone through the washer and dryer a time or two on accident with no ill affects), etc.

Sony MDR-EX51LP Fontopia Headphones, I think. Nothing special, but work great. $26 on amazon.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • POLKOHOLIC
    POLKOHOLIC Posts: 407
    edited June 2007
    http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=triport_ie_headphones_index&intcmp=USB06001

before you tag me as a traitor - answer me this: have you ever tried these earbuds?

although i do have to say that i would never pay that much for earbuds....too small for such a high price....it must cost what 10 bucks to make a pair?
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2007
    Well, now I'm torn. I would really like to try the Shures (though I'm not sure I like being deaf to the world around me), but I need these mor eimmediately for a missions trip to Albania, so I don't wanna take anything too nice.

But then again, if I'm already taking my iPod, what's a nice set of Shure headphones in the mix, too?

Maybe I should get both! :p

After I stumble across a money tree. :(

Joey_V! I need your money tree! :D:D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2007
    POLKOHOLIC wrote: »
    http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=triport_ie_headphones_index&intcmp=USB06001

before you tag me as a traitor - answer me this: have you ever tried these earbuds?

although i do have to say that i would never pay that much for earbuds....too small for such a high price....it must cost what 10 bucks to make a pair?
    I have...err, had...they broke... the Bose Tri-Port over-the-ear headphones and really liked them. Good sound, amazing comfort.

However, I think that if I can find something comparable that I like just fine, I'd rather not support Bose.

Thanks though!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • POLKOHOLIC
    POLKOHOLIC Posts: 407
    edited June 2007
    i have those...the triport around the ear. mine also broke so i sent them back after 2 years...warranty had expired...but they took them back and sent me a brand new pair absolutely free. with a new warranty and supposedly the older ones had issues with breaking easily. the newer ones come in silver only and look almost identicle with the exception of a few improvements to keep them from breaking so easily.

these are the ones im using right now (only at home):
    http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=triport_ae_headphones_index

very comfortable but too big to carry around.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited June 2007
    Love my e2c's.
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2007
    POLKOHOLIC wrote: »
    i have those...the triport over the ear. mine also broke so i sent them back after 2 years...warranty had expired...but they took them back and sent me a brand new pair absolutely free. with a new warranty and supposedly the older ones had issues with breaking easily. the newer ones come in silver only and look almost identicle with the exception of a few improvements to keep them from breaking so easily.
    Dad went through much the same process with his QuietComfort 1 headphones, so I decided I'd try it with my TriPorts.

Can't find them. :( I can't imagine I'd just toss them, but I have no clue where they are.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited June 2007
    I second the Sony Fontopia earbuds.As for the world being dead around you, don't turn the volume up as much (which you won't have to do because with the outside noise not getting into your ears, you get all the music). When you're on a plane, who really cares if you can't hear the engines for hours at a time.

You have to get used to having that type of ear bud inside your ear, but to me it feels fine, and you'd barely know they are in because they're so light. There are different sized buds that come wtih so you can fit them to your head, btw.........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • apc
    apc Posts: 779
    edited June 2007
    Not earbuds, but perhaps worth considering...

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50041
    Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Friend.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited June 2007
    you knwo you can pick up those Shures at best Buy, right? That's where I got mine, for $99
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited June 2007
    apc wrote: »
    Not earbuds, but perhaps worth considering...

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50041

I second the px 100's. GREAT headphones for the $$. Perfect for ipod, traveling, etc, and the fold up into a case model makes traveling that much easier.

Not buds, but I can't stand the thought of something crammed in my ear anyway....
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited June 2007
    I didn't like the E2c's...They kept falling out of my ears, and yes I tried all of the little ear adapters that were provided....I have a set of B&O A8s, and I love them...I little pricey, but they sound great and look nice too...
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited June 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    Anybody have any they're looking to sell?

This is one of very few things I'd never buy used....:eek: :eek: :eek:

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited June 2007
    jflail2 wrote: »
    I second the px 100's. GREAT headphones for the $$. Perfect for ipod, traveling, etc, and the fold up into a case model makes traveling that much easier.

Not buds, but I can't stand the thought of something crammed in my ear anyway....
    The PX 100's are excellent if you happen to be in a quiet enviroment. They are open backed so they let in a lot of outside noise.

I also purchased the PX 200's. When used with the iPod they don't offer the bass response of the PX 100's but they do filter out the outside noise much better than the PX 100's.

Both the PX 100 & PX 200 fold up nice and small.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2007
    Thanks for all the input, guys. I stopped by Target on the way home to make my purchase. I found the Sony's. Saw a pair of Sennheiser's 'twist-n-fit' earbuds, and then the E2c. And carried on a monologue in my head. At least, I hope it was in my head.

I ended up with the Sony's, as I just don't wanna spend $100 on earbuds right now (not to mention I didn't have $100 on me), but the Sennheiser's did look very interesting.

And dangit, I just realized I forgot to ask what the return policy is.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited June 2007
    The only problem with those Sennheiser's is that while sound can get in, your music can also get out to other people around you. I want all the sound for myself, and the Sony's have a great sound to them for just under $50.......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited June 2007
    brettw22 wrote: »
    The only problem with those Sennheiser's is that while sound can get in, your music can also get out to other people around you. I want all the sound for myself, and the Sony's have a great sound to them for just under $50.......

True to a certain extent. If you are in a quiet library, then you're certainly going to be sharing your tunes. On the other hand, my work environment is an office, but is still just loud enough that noone can hear my tunes except me.

Either way, sounds like op found what he was looking for. Grats!
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited June 2007
    I have the Shure buds that are one step up from the e2c, and they are awesome. Super great sound, awesome isolation from noise, and not super comfortable, as in, you'll notice them, you won't forget they are in your ears five hours later, but they do feel good.
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2007
    Ok, so I just tried out my new earbuds moments ago.

Wow! :eek:

I like them!

I used to not like earbuds at all (too weird/uncomfortable), but I'm beginning to like them, and these are comfortable! They do a really good job of blocking outside noise (though not 100%...which is good). They fit down inside your ear easily and comfortably as the rubber cushion is nice and pliable.

The carrying case is kinda neat as a way to protect the cushions/keep them on, but what in the world are you supposed to do with the cord when you use it?

Thanks for the input, fellas, appreciate it.

When I come back, if I really grow attached to this in-ear earbud thing, I just might have to try out the Shures, too.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]