Product position RTi vs LSi

smilingdawg
smilingdawg Posts: 16
edited September 2002 in Speakers
I was wondering if anyone can shed more insight into why the LSi and the RTi/RT series sort of over lap from a price standpoint. I know I shouldn't be concerned with comparing prices between the 2 lines, and should be concerned more with peformance. But usually, at a certain price range we compare brands and not different models within brand.

Since the LSi directed through the specialty shops, they would be considered the higher end of Polks speakers, right ? But if you look at their system builder it isn't the highest price system.

Front: RT3000p
Center: CS1000p
Surround: f/x1000
Subwoofer: PSW650
$6769.70

Front: LSi25
Center: LSiC
Surround: LSiFX
Subwoofer: PSW650
$5409.70

The thread below someone talks about the 2 lines

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5412

so I am cluess, but please explain ....
Post edited by smilingdawg on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited September 2002
    Hey, that is a pretty wild price comparision.
    But holy cow man, that RT setup would be hella loud with the right power behind it. Think Muscle Car!!!!!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited September 2002
    the rt500 system is a fully powered home theater system.It's been out for 4 years or so.It's price I believe is lower now.And I'm not even sure if Polk is still going to produe it.

Price is something Polk does extremely well.Good value for what you pay.

the rt line is a Home Theater first system In my opnion, and the Lsi system is a music first system.

Forget about price for awhile and go listen to both lines.I'm sure you will find the Lsi line more refined,cleaner and smoother.A warmer more detailed line if you will.Waht you loose is SLAM MODE.......meaning thunderous bass.The rt line has boom.The lsi line does not.Lsi has a much more controled bottom end and it blends in with the rest of the speaker better then any other Polk speaker I have ever listened to.

If you want a fine wine.....think Lsi
    If you want a cold beer.....think rt

If you want a Musclecar....think rt
    If you want a sportscar....think lsi

Basically the best way I could put it is the Lsi line is a great improvement over the rt line in everyway for 2 channel music first and a refined more detailed for Home theater line.

I can tell you a hundred different things they do better over the rt line, but you really need to experience it for yourself.

I perfer the Lsi line you could perfer the rt line.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited September 2002
    I perfer the Lsi line you could perfer the rt line.
    I prefer green eggs and ham.....

Cheers,
    Sam I am (a.k.a. Russman)
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited September 2002
    would the RTI line be considered a Pinto?

If so, please don't tailgate me!

LOL

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • nascarmann
    edited September 2002
    The HBomb up in flames.....smiley_flame.gif
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2002
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

I think if you look around a lot of companies with differening classes have that overlap. IE cars, let's say you wanted a Micah Cohen edition, pimp daddy Stratus with all the options, I'm sure that it would cost more than the basic Sebring or whatever the next step up the chain is.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    And the thinking hats are on today
    Dan
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2002
    Originally posted by ATCVenom
    Truthfully speaking, thats just the RT line, not the RTI. Seems as if the regular RT line still holds the flagship system, at least in terms of price.

Mantis explained it pretty well. Think of the Lsi as your sports car, (with a damn good price tag I might add) and the RT as the muscle car.

does that then make the RTi line a monster truck?? lol:lol:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited September 2002
    i was at cc today while i was buying my disturbed cd, i just got bored and decided to go demo some polk speakers, i did a rt vs. rti line...i didnt get a kick out of the rt line, sounded prettymuch flat to me in the midrange, sounded like it was a enclosed speaker...from the ones i heard, others ont he rt line sounded just like the rti line just not as a good, but the rti line is alot more clearer than the rt line...
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • nascarmann
    edited September 2002
    but the rti line is alot more clearer than the rt line

Great......know that I'm getting my RT-7 on....:mad:
    Are you sure:rolleyes:
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited September 2002
    i said most, some are better, some are worse, some are on the same level, but from what i heard at cc, which considering...only one speaker worked and what they actually have there...the rti line was better
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • smilingdawg
    edited September 2002
    Thanks mantis and all...

I understand the boom vs refined. I would think that if you add proper amplification to the LSi line and make sure you have powerful subs, you can still get one heck of a boom with HT!!

With the lower impedance and efficiency of the LSi, I would think it is very important to get a nice amplifier to insure a boom :-)

Now I should do some searches on amplifiers with the LSi.
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    No ,
    you didn't understand........the Lsi 's just don't boom.They are tight and not lacking good clean low bass, but the bass doesn't overpower the rest of the speaker and doesn't get muddy.

Good amps are a need.Anything less you hinder there ability to sound there best.

Instead of searching for a good amp, why not go hear them go.
    Dan
  • smilingdawg
    edited September 2002
    I do want to go listen, but Polk REALLY need to get their distribution channels set up !! They(Polk) told me to work it at my end and ask the store I frequent to get the Polks in the stores. :rolleyes: I have to drive a long ways to go listen, so I wanted get as much homework done before I go.

OK. I overloaded the word "boom". I want tight clean bass with impact(room shaking bass). I do not want the boomy/muddy bass.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited September 2002
    Originally posted by smilingdawg
    I want tight clean bass with impact(room shaking bass). I do not want the boomy/muddy bass.

You will need a sub then. The LSi subs aren't going to shake anything, they are a little light for my taste - but they are very accurate, tight, and clean - which is what I wanted for music.

I'll be adding a sub later to fill out the bottom end of music and for the room shaking bass that a HT demands.

i like the more refined sound from the LSi's. To me it's what things should sound like. My ears just get tired after listening to other speakers for a while... the LSi's kept me intrigued and listening.

If you want room shaking bass, you are going to get a sub anyway right? So why not go LSi? :)
  • Janusch
    Janusch Posts: 132
    edited September 2002
    If you are looking for that feel it in your chest bass. Wouldn't it be better to go for the LSI 9's and get a good musical bass and have the best of both worlds. It is my understanding the LSI claim to fame is it's imaging, but after 60 hz that should not matter.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited September 2002
    Originally posted by phuz
    You will need a sub then. The LSi subs aren't going to shake anything, they are a little light for my taste - but they are very accurate, tight, and clean - which is what I wanted for music.

Have LSi subs been released? I haven't heard anything about them being made even other than as just being 'talked' about at Polk.....
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited September 2002
    Originally posted by brettw22

Have LSi subs been released? I haven't heard anything about them being made even other than as just being 'talked' about at Polk.....

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The meant the built in subs in the LSi15's.

Not sure about the powered subs in the 25's though.
  • smilingdawg
    edited September 2002
    Yes, I am a backwards guy, I have my chest pumping sub already :D Thanks for the advice though. The subs really help the home theater experience. I don't really need a sub, but hey if the LSi25 had a good powered sub..then hey...can't hurt :D

I have the old Polks RTA 15TL, with a Polk center that I don't know the model right now. So I am looking into the LSi simply to upgrade what I have, or have a more complete HT. I really do not like my current center too boxy of a sound.

Anyhow, thanks.