Nightline tonight: Parents blame mercury for autism

2»

Comments

• opus
    opus Posts: 1,252
    edited June 2007
    Silverti wrote: »

.......................Take profit out of health care.....................

sigh:confused:
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited June 2007
    I am sure at least some of the cases now (probably a large percentage) are due to both an increased awareness of the disease and the fact that they now consider much milder forms of autism (such as aspergers) as autistic where they used to consider only severe cases (called classic autism - like rain man) years ago.

I am not sure when they started the more general classification of it, but it does show at least one thing. (at least to me) where before there were multiple problems that seemed on the surface to be unrelated and therefore much harder to discover a cause or treatment for (due to the diffusion of time and money in trying to study multiple diseases or issues) - now that it is under the same umbrella of autism, may be easier focus on something that can help to prevent or treat this in the future.

1 in 150 is epidemic propotions for a childhood disease. Whether that disease is new or not should not really be the focus of the debate - finding a prevention or treatment should be. The growth rate is currently being highlighted as the reason to spend money on research. Personally I would have thought that the 1 in 150 would have been reason enough.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • McLoki
    edited June 2007
    Take profit out of health care.

While on the surface this makes sense - in reality I would consider it a horrid idea. Many of the greatest discoveries of the 20th century have been made in the spirit of making a profit.

To stand a chance of curing a disease - someone has to be able to make a profit at it. Why do you think so many companies are spending millions of their own profits trying to cure cancer? Because whoever comes up with the cure will be holding the patent worth millions of dollars. (if they come up with a preventative - it could be worth billions)

To quote Gordon Gekko (rent the movie wallstreet) "greed is good." What do I care if someone makes a profit as long as the result of that profit helps me and my family? (I will put helping the rest of mankind as a perk at this point... :) )

Michael
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
  • McLoki
    edited June 2007
    One thing my wife just brought up - the increased diagnosis is not (we don't think) profit driven at all. Once your child is diagnosed - you enter into a black hole of help.

There is no drug you can give or single treatment that you can follow to help. All you have is the support of other parents and what they have tried or experienced to help. I assume it is due to the fact that there is no money in autism unless you are a therapist. This is probably a big contributor to the reason that research has been so slow with Autism.

Parents follow other parents advice because that is all we have. The doctors and researchers just say - we don't know yet - wait a few years and maybe we will have something. Our children are here now and help (at least for my child) is not going to wait for someone to say "ok, now we know what to do."

As with every other parenting decision - we will run in the direction we think is best and makes the most sense, all the while hoping that the direction we chose is a good one.

Michael
  • opus
    opus Posts: 1,252
    edited June 2007
    Good luck and God Bless
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
  • McLoki
    edited June 2007
    We all have our crosses to bear. In the grand scheme of things - it could have been so much worse. We truely have been / are blessed.

(but thank you for the well wishes... :) )

Michael.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2007
    I haven’t seen that new Michael Moore movie on health care but I understand the fundamentals behind it and from the clips I seen, its gonna wake some people up (hell wasn’t he even on Oprah with it?). Specifically the millions of people who actually *think* they have health coverage... until you really need to use it. Aka, you learn quickly what health insurance is about when you face an expensive procedure. Scary ****, I hope I don’t get cancer.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • McLoki
    edited June 2007
    The fact that you are willing to sit through a Michael Moore movie shows how far apart our views are. Oh well - you like Polk so we can agree you have taste in something. (apparently it is just narrowly focused.)..... :D:):D

Michael
  • Nisqually Dave
    Nisqually Dave Posts: 220
    edited June 2007
    Did someone actually Quote Micheal Moore? Talk about twisting the facts to sensationalize them.

As my old Professor of statistics told us on our first day of class, you can make statistics prove or disprove any fact with statistics. talk about voodoo math/science. Most crackpots who want to fleece you pocketbook use statistics to do it.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited June 2007
    McLoki wrote: »
    The fact that you are willing to sit through a Michael Moore movie shows how far apart our views are. Oh well - you like Polk so we can agree you have taste in something. (apparently it is just narrowly focused.)..... :D:):D

Michael

You beat me to that punch!!!

Seriously though, I've a long prayer list each day and it just got longer. God Bless you and your family, my wife and I have first hand experience with mental health issues. I love your attitude in that we have the same, we are blessed!:)
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited June 2007
    McLoki wrote: »
    Ben62670 - Unfortunately, it looks like we are getting close to being able to start an autism support group on the forum....

PM me if you ever want another opinion on anything or need anyone to talk to.

Michael

I might do that. I actually skipped to page two, and found I missed a couple of post. I was thinking of sending you a PM. It is tough having a kid with autism. The hard thing is that it is going to be tough for her. Thats the heart braking part of this disease. I personally don't blame anything, or anyone for this condition. I wish they would do more research. What needs to be done is interview the parents of autistic children, and find out what if any the common denominator is.

Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited June 2007
    If you guys want to see how bad the Medical industry is, look at all them commercials for "restless leg syndrome" which is pretty much a pure marketing scheme by drug companies to sell a certain medication that was designed for different things (was it Parkinson’s?) and they pretty much contrived a minor item into a whole marketing scheme to tell it for peoples who cant stop their legs form moving. All a sudden <gasp> millions of people had it.

Restless Leg Syndrome is a genuine medical condition. It is a movement disorder with some similarities to Parkinson's disease. Physicians and other practioners were prescribing those drugs for Restless Leg patients well before the ads appeared on TV.

The drug company of that drug(s) spend millions and millions of dollars to prove that their drug was effective for the genuine condition that is RLS. Only once they spent that money could they then advertise and promote awareness for people that may not know that what they have is RLS and that there exists a treatment.
  • Shizelbs
    edited June 2007
    Clearly Autism is a situation being "diagnosed" more today. But is it being over diagnosed for profit?

No, it absolutely is not.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited June 2007
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    No, it absolutely is not.

I totally agree. If you know early enough you can try to teach the child ASAP as much as you can. Its amazing how quickly kids pick things up when they are young. I do think a lot of stuff is miss labeled when it comes to behavioral problems. I don't think that medication is the answer for a lot of these types of problems. While some problems can be helped I think a lot of hard work by the parents needs to be done. My kid is going to basically a speech therapy. I think that more of that is for the parents to teach them how to teach their children than anything else.

Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited June 2007
    The Treffert study (1970) concluded that for people born between 1954-1964 the rate of autism was 3.1 per 10,000

The Burd study (1987) concluded that for people born between 1967-1983 the rate of autism was 3.26 per 10,000

The Ritivo study (1989) concluded that for people born between 1960-1984 the rate of autism was 2.47 per 10,000

The current rate (as determined by a February 2007 multi-state study by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention) is now 67 per 10,000. (1 in every 150 kids born today)

This is the real point!!! Autism is a worldwide epidemic of staggering proportions, environmental factors are the most likely the cause. The point is, we need to find out what is doing it and how, FAST!!! Children are being irreparably harmed.

And yes Cathy, someone is going to pay (insurance companies - Sorry!). This is going to be a bonanza for the lawyers. Ever read Erin Brockovich? Early on during the discovery, most people had the same consensus about hexavalent chromium. "No way is this causing all these problems"
    Carl

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited June 2007
    Michael, I'm sorry you and your family are going through this. You are in my thoughts.

Cathy
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited June 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    Damn those flouride barons and their damn lobbiests!

WAAAAAA!!!! I usually stay out of these threads, but this is one of the funniest quotes I have ever heard on this forum:D
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited June 2007
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • McLoki
    edited June 2007
    For those curious about the show last night. (the point of the thread, remember?) I watched it and it made me feel wholly uncomfortable. The fact that one woman (the mother) would be so willing to potentially sacrafice her child to the beliefs of one person that every other scientist he has met considers a crackpot, is just scary.

The scientist I just didn't believe in (especially considering how strongly he has been vilified by his peers) and the mother just had the look and actions of someone who has gone off the deep end. Of course I felt sorry for the child and his situation, but there has to be a point where experimenting with drugs on your child in hopes of fundamentally changing him has be considered child endagerment.

It would be different if it was part of a controlled study that had shown benefits in other animals and they are ready to move testing to the next step. But to just say "here - try this and see what happens" as drug cocktails that were put together and tested in a basement - are injected into your child, is just wrong.

I hope, for her sons sake, that what she is allowing to be done to her child does not cause further harm and heartache down the road.

You have to reach a point where your friends and family are willing to step in and say "what the hell are you thinking? I know things are bad but this is your child, not a lab rat - stop treating him like one."

Personally, I found the entire show really disturbing.

Michael
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited June 2007
    Here's one clinical trial going on for dmsa. It appears their goal is to prove that it doesn't work.

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/gui/show/NCT00376194?order=1
  • hearingimpared
    edited June 2007
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2007
    He's the epitomed picture of health!

Isn’t that like shooting the messenger?

Couple of you guys are interesting. Pull the blinders off man. I’m not really a Moore fan (I’ve only watched one of his movies) but at least I'll full the blinders off and objectively watch something like that. I’m secure enough in my mental ability and education to be able to take the info he presents (in his case, not charts and data, but actually peoples stories) and critical think it from all sides and make my own judgment. At least in the end, If I think he’s a quack and his arguments are invalid, I can come here and actually post an objective retort on it instead of just trashing it because I can trash it... right? But this is the internets and that’s what people do and trying to reason to people with blinders on don’t work any ways but it’s always fun.

In any case, it might actually get you to realize that this is all extremely complicated being worked on by millions of variables… just maybe your simple idea of it working isn’t true!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited June 2007
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited June 2007

Calling Mikey Moore a messenger?? Now that's funny.
  • hearingimpared
    edited June 2007

Couple of you guys are interesting. Pull the blinders off man. I’m not really a Moore fan (I’ve only watched one of his movies) but at least I'll full the blinders off and objectively watch something like that. I’m secure enough in my mental ability and education to be able to take the info he presents (in his case, not charts and data, but actually peoples stories) and critical think it from all sides and make my own judgment. At least in the end, If I think he’s a quack and his arguments are invalid, I can come here and actually post an objective retort on it instead of just trashing it because I can trash it... right? But this is the internets and that’s what people do and trying to reason to people with blinders on don’t work any ways but it’s always fun.

In any case, it might actually get you to realize that this is all extremely complicated being worked on by millions of variables… just maybe your simple idea of it working isn’t true!

I've seen everything Moore has done and contrary to your incredible insight, I find him a fat buffoon!!! Period, no blinders, no trashing, I find him to be nothing but a buffoon! A hateful buffoon at that! That is my retort.
  • McLoki
    edited June 2007
    Moore is a film maker, not a documentary expert. To base any argument on the content of his fims is like showing Star Wars as proof of life on other planets.

Personally I think his films suck because they do not contain the facts to be a documentary nor the story to make them worth my time.

Michael
  • Shizelbs
    edited June 2007
    I saw Moore on Letterman a few years back. David was asking him some very pointed, challenging questions, and did not back off when Moore tried to work around the questions. I was really dissapointed how incapable he was at constructing a proper response to defend his position.