candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
Opinions before or after watching it?
Post edited by candyliquor35m on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2007
    Couldnt really careless what parents think about what causes autism, what do the doctors think? I heard on the news the other day that a bunch of parents thought it was all the shots we get as kids now, and I'm pretty sure doctors have already dismissed that from being the case...I agree, it does need to be brought up more, but spreading rumors is not the way to do it. Not that I'm saying its not true, but like I said, parents are far from experts so I'll start listening when the experts chime in.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited June 2007
    My little one has autism, and she is less than 2. They supposedly have not been using the preservatives had supposedly cause autism for 5 years. Lots of kids are born with autism at a steadily increasing rate. It would be nice to figure out what is causing it.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited June 2007
    Vaccines are not causing autism.
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited June 2007
    My sister works in school psychology and has had the opportunity of learning a great deal about Autism. Her opinion on the matter is we're still a ways off to figuring out what causes it and the opinions expressed on the show last night were representative of just one of several different competing theories, each one with quite a bit of evidence to support theirs as victor.

The good news from this is that there are several scientists working out figuring out, and possibly preventing, autism now. With luck, the answer isn't too far off.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited June 2007
    Oh, goody a Hg thread, and I just got my popcorn! Go get 'em Shelby!

Me? I'll believe medical science over a crackpot with an agenda anyday.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • jm1
    jm1 Posts: 618
    edited June 2007
    Not to derail the original topic of the thread, but there is a similar avenue of thought with fluoride. The book “The Fluoride Deception” shows compelling evidence that higher interests have colluded to obscure and hinder any honest disclosure of fluoride toxicity. I can’t help to wonder what else has been given this treatment.

For an introduction to the book contents, watch this interview with the author.

Coincidently, I visited the dentist last night. He said my teeth are looking much better and inquired about what I was doing different since the last visit. I didn’t have the heart to tell him (possibly for the good of his career) we have tried to eliminate all possible sources of fluoride from our house.
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed and third, it is accepted as self evident.
    Arthur Schopenhauer
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited June 2007
  • GermanVirgins
    GermanVirgins Posts: 19
    edited June 2007
    Im not sure if vaccinations are the cause of the increased incidences of autism.

These chemicals are included in the vaccinations. This list is fact and indisputable. Remember, this chemical potion is not being injected into your average 175lb man, but wrather our newborn infants.

Formaldehyde
    Aluminum
    Bovine Serum
    2-Phenoxyethanol ( main ingredient in antifreeze)

2-Phenoxyethanol replaced thimerosal about five years ago. Thimerosal is a mercury dirrivative.

The Environmental Protection Agency considers mercury a hazordous material.
  • Shizelbs
    edited June 2007
    Damnit. I don't have the patience for junk science today.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited June 2007
    Oh dear God! Are we back to this again??

It's a bunch of BS.
    We don't care.
    They are just looking for someone to sue. (see the crazy judge thread)
    They are just crazy.
    They smoked/shot/inhaled dope & gave their kid autism!

Get a life!:rolleyes:
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • jdhdiggs
    edited June 2007
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    Damnit. I don't have the patience for junk science today.

Dang it Shelby, if I have to make time to debunk junk economic threads, the least you can do is fight the junk medicine threads! WTH man? :mad:

;)
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited June 2007
    Opinions before or after watching it?

You are a glutton for punishment!
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited June 2007
    You are a glutton for punishment!

I'm staying on the sidelines this time. I'm just the messenger.

It airs tonight (tues.) and I've got my vcr set and now my alarm on my phone.
  • Shizelbs
    edited June 2007
    Im not sure if vaccinations are the cause of the increased incidences of autism.

There is currently no research or medical literature that shows any link between mercury, thimerosal, anything vaccine related and autism. I just got back from a huge immunization conference in Portland. The head person from the CDC for immunizations was there and talked at length about the subject. His conclusion, as well as mine, is that there is no link between autism and vaccines.

Its natural to want to find a cause or reason for something, but immunizations are not the answer to the cause of autism.
  • Shizelbs
    edited June 2007
    Let us not forget the enormous indisputable benefit that mass immunizations brings to the country. Vaccines are an invaluable asset to current public health policy.
  • Shizelbs
    edited June 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    Dang it Shelby, if I have to make time to debunk junk economic threads, the least you can do is fight the junk medicine threads! WTH man? :mad:

;)

I'm sorry. You are correct.
  • Shizelbs
    edited June 2007
    Also, except for some of the one's done by John Stossel, these evening news programs and their 'investigative reporting' and usually very biased and wrong. For those of you watching the program, please keep that in mind. They have their own agenda as well.

I've watched three different episodes where they reported on things related to pharmacy. And three times I've been angered by their frustrating reporting which spouts lies as truth and their total mismanagement of facts. They cannot report a story correctly to save their lives. Most of what they say will go unchallenged by the lay public.

I'll try my best to watch it if I have the time.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited June 2007
    How's about the food we eat? If you can actually call it that. Our bodies are bombarded with more chemicals, poisions, preservatives, additives, & the like to keep things fresh & looking oh so yummy. Our bodies have to fight back somehow. There's more weird **** popping up now than ever before with our overall health. Now, let's not forget our friend "Mercury"...ban the tuna 'cause it's got mercury contamination...but come sit in my dentist chair & let me drill holes in your mouth & pour it in. Yeah baby! Oh, and Flouride my new best friend...the most lethal poison known to man..let's put in the water & drink up me hardies!! Srubb, scrub, scrub your teeth with this wonderful poison & smile for the man. Ever wonder why almost every other country on planet earth has banned fluoride? Not here, too much money at stake. Vaccines, the juries still out on this one but I guarantee you'll never hear a bad thing about them from our doctors & government. Way too much at stake, & I ain't talking health either. Damn, I could sure go fo a nice Philly cheesesteak with some cheese fries & a nice fluoride bottle of water to wash it down!!! :D
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited June 2007
    too much money at stake? For who? Damn those flouride barons and their damn lobbiests!
  • hearingimpared
    edited June 2007
    Some of this **** is down right ridiculous. . . okay so why don't we ban iodine now. . . it just kept a whole generation from goiter. I'm surprised someone didn't come up with iodine causes high blood pressure, oh yeah right too much salt cause that!!!. . . but there was a study that showed some people were allergic to iodine thus plain salt. Cut me a break with all this BS.

It appears we can't think for ourselves and the way to our hearts is with sensationalism.

Bacon caused cancer for two years then it turned out it was good for you. . . Sweet 'n' Low causes cancer! they forgot to tell you that they gave rats the equivelant of 800 packets a day! WTF.

Which way is the wind blowing today. . . blah blah blah!!!
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited June 2007
    You're good to go as long as they don't find anything bad about chicken wings!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited June 2007
    If Mercury is to cause for autism, are we going to diss it as a planet as we did Pluto?

Just askin...........
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • hearingimpared
    edited June 2007
    You're good to go as long as they don't find anything bad about chicken wings!

They already did, "Buffalo.":D :D:D
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited June 2007
    Here are some autism facts for you:
    The Treffert study (1970) concluded that for people born between 1954-1964 the rate of autism was 3.1 per 10,000

The Burd study (1987) concluded that for people born between 1967-1983 the rate of autism was 3.26 per 10,000

The Ritivo study (1989) concluded that for people born between 1960-1984 the rate of autism was 2.47 per 10,000

The current rate (as determined by a February 2007 multi-state study by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention) is now 67 per 10,000. (1 in every 150 kids born today)

Blame or ignore what you want - but the facts are the rate is increasing dramatically and there needs to be a clear understanding of why. As the parent of 2 autistic children, I am past the "I want someone to blame" and into the "what the hell do I do now" stage. The cost of caring for a child (through adulthood) with autsim is 2 - 2.5 million.

Obviously much of that cost has to be picked up by the government. The strain this will end up causing on society and government is not only emotional but financial as well. The costs of therapy is staggering. (and try to find a daycare that is willing to deal with it) - I dare say it is definately more than most families can afford on their own.

This is not a problem that you can ignore and make go away. No one knows what causes Autism and anyone who says they do is lying (at least for now). I do fully understand parents at their wits end looking for something that will help get them through the day. For some it is looking for someone to blame, for others it is grasping at straws looking for anything that has the possilbity of making it easier to care for their children and making their childs struggle to understand the world less of a challenge.

As far as studies conducted by the immunization companies and councels. I let them hold as much weight with me as studies by the cigarette companies in the 1950's.

Personally I think it is a combination of things both genetic and environment based. knowing what those combinations may be though is a project for people much smarter than myself.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • McLoki
    edited June 2007
    Ben62670 - Unfortunately, it looks like we are getting close to being able to start an autism support group on the forum....

PM me if you ever want another opinion on anything or need anyone to talk to.

Michael
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,437
    edited June 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Oh dear God! Are we back to this again??

It's a bunch of BS.
    We don't care.
    They are just looking for someone to sue. (see the crazy judge thread)
    They are just crazy.

Hehe........I love it when you get fired up.

I blame it on the Clinton's.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• opus
    opus Posts: 1,252
    edited June 2007
    Michael, I ask this as a bystander, although one with a sympathetic ear, Is there a chance that the huge increase in the number of cases is due to an increased awareness to the disease and/or a reclassification of other disorders/problems as autism?

This question is asked in good faith( I hope you know that)
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
  • hearingimpared
    edited June 2007
    McLoki wrote: »
    Here are some autism facts for you:

Blame or ignore what you want - but the facts are the rate is increasing dramatically and there needs to be a clear understanding of why. As the parent of 2 autistic children, I am past the "I want someone to blame" and into the "what the hell do I do now" stage. The cost of caring for a child (through adulthood) with autsim is 2 - 2.5 million.

Obviously much of that cost has to be picked up by the government. The strain this will end up causing on society and government is not only emotional but financial as well. The costs of therapy is staggering. (and try to find a daycare that is willing to deal with it) - I dare say it is definately more than most families can afford on their own.

This is not a problem that you can ignore and make go away. No one knows what causes Autism and anyone who says they do is lying (at least for now). I do fully understand parents at their wits end looking for something that will help get them through the day. For some it is looking for someone to blame, for others it is grasping at straws looking for anything that has the possilbity of making it easier to care for their children and making their childs struggle to understand the world less of a challenge.

As far as studies conducted by the immunization companies and councels. I let them hold as much weight with me as studies by the cigarette companies in the 1950's.

Personally I think it is a combination of things both genetic and environment based. knowing what those combinations may be though is a project for people much smarter than myself.

Michael

Michael I have one question for you. The numbers from 1954-1980 something, did they call something else, autism? Like did they think that some children had Down Syndrome or back then "mentally retarded," when in fact they had autism? This seems to be one of the conflicting problems. Back in 1954 through the 80s autistic children were misdiagnosed, that seems to be one of the reasons for the jump in autistic diagnosis.

Just to give you an example of how much better disorders are being diagnosed, a child with ADHD back in the 50s, 60s, 70s, & 80s were labeled either just bad kids or they had ants in their pants. Now with proper diagnosis, they are being diagnosed with ADHD so the incidents of ADHD has jumped by leaps and bounds.

I think the number children actually diagnosed with autism TODAY is probably not much more than the amount of children who had autism but it was called something else back when.

Is this actually possible?
  • McLoki
    edited June 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »

While many parents of kids with autism look for someone to blame - very few are willing to turn the critical eye on themselves. I would stop somewhat short though of blaming the parents (other than genetics) for causing the autism of their children.
    F1nut wrote: »
    I blame it on the Clinton's.
    The Clinton connection, on the other hand, is something we should look closer at. (if it wasn't him directly, I am sure it was at least a few of his campaign contributers working together.)

Michael
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2007
    If you guys want to see how bad the Medical industry is, look at all them commercials for "restless leg syndrome" which is pretty much a pure marketing scheme by drug companies to sell a certain medication that was designed for different things (was it Parkinson’s?) and they pretty much contrived a minor item into a whole marketing scheme to tell it for peoples who cant stop their legs form moving. All a sudden <gasp> millions of people had it.

Consider the fact that our medical systems are purely profit based and you know why diagnoses go up period.

Take profit out of health care.

And my wife is in that industry... good income.. legalized drug dealers if you ask me.

I wish we could get objective information as to why this stuff is happeneing. Clearly Autism is a situation being "diagnosed" more today. But is it being over diagnosed for profit?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing