MS Vista opinions

engtaz
engtaz Posts: 7,663
edited July 2007 in The Clubhouse
Now that Vista has been out a while what are the Pro's and Con's.

Thanks.
engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
Post edited by engtaz on

Comments

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited June 2007
    I dunno, but I needed to order a couple of computers on my job today, so I placed a call to the IT Dept. to inquire about specs and vendors. They were adamant about my not purchasing Vista.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited June 2007
    Vista sucks. It does not work with a lot of hardware out there(cameras, printers, and scanners). It will keep asking you if you want to do what you just told it to. It is a huge resource hog.
    JUST SAY NO to Vista

Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited June 2007
    The software drivers for peripherals are not up-to-speed and there are some that are still buggy; looks pretty, but you need some horsepower to run it. The "Are you sure you want this to happen" pop-ups are ridiculous. As an IT pro I'd say no for now.

edit: sounds like ben's post...
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited June 2007
    I wish I could've gotten a laptop with XP on it back in February when I had to replace my Toshiba but the only new thing out there was Vista. When I bought a new HP 3 in 1 printer, I had to download a 300mb file to have the right drivers for it as it only came with XP drivers. From what I've heard from different PC guru's, everyone had 1.5 years of fair warning to get their drivers Vista ready and they didn't till now. There's no telling what the real story is. I've gotten more used to it in the last 4 months but those pop up windows asking me if it's ok to allow something to work drives me nuts.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited June 2007
    Im waiting untill SP2 comes out. My dad just bought a laptop with Visa home premium installed. I spent 2 hours trying to load the printer and scanner drivers and they still dont work that well. I was hoping to find him a xp laptop. I might buy him a copy and wipe Vista out and put XP on.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited June 2007
    We have a couple of boxes running Vista here at work. We see no reason to upgrade.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited June 2007
    We're not effing with Vista at work either. Speaking as well as an IT Pro, stay away until an SP corrects the bugs.

John
    No excuses!
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited June 2007
    My work(Gillette/Procter&Gamble) are saying NO to vista as well. I personally am saying no from a home standpoint as well. I have it on my HTPC and hate it.....soon as i can find a copy of XP media center 2005 for sale im buying it.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited June 2007
    thumbs down for me. I have my latop on Vista and 2 desktops on XP. No reason to upgrade, unless you feel the need to slow down response and keep getting the "allow" or "deny" messages to pop-up.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited June 2007
    That reminded me. My desktop has XP on it as well and I can't get the damn things to network together easily as I could if both were XP. THAT would be a seamless transition to say the least. I called the place I bought the laptop from (Best Buy...I know, I know) and they said it would void my warranty if I put XP on it and took off Vista. Well, hell.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited June 2007
    avguytx wrote: »
    they said it would void my warranty if I put XP on it and took off Vista. Well, hell.
    Do you have recovery disks for Vista? That's a load of crap about it voiding your warranty. Maybe the warranty on the software side of things but if it's a hardware failure and you're using a legal copy of XP they should honor the warranty. If you have the recovery disks or at least an install cd for vista then load xp on it and if you have to take it in and they decide to not honor it, go home and throw vista back onto it.

90% of laptop and desktop returns for futureshop / bestbuy are because of people messing up their computer on a software side of things. Viruses, spyware and generally installing other things without proper knowledge and they mess things up and hope fs / bb will fix it.

Take anything a fs / bb salesman tells you with a grain of salt. There are actually a couple of knowledgable and honest ones out there but they can be hard to find. Unfortunately I worked for FS for a little while (not in sales) and now when I go back to the location I worked, I still get no useful help and all they try and do is convince me 'as a friend' that a PSP is the best thing to do :rolleyes:
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited June 2007
    I bought the laptop from (Best Buy...I know, I know) and they said it would void my warranty if I put XP on it and took off Vista.

Sounds like a line of bullsh**. It may void any OS support, but it will not void any type of hardware warranty.
  • jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited June 2007
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    Sounds like a line of bullsh**. It may void any OS support, but it will not void any type of hardware warranty.

FWIW, I haven't read the OEM license for Vista, but previous Microsoft OS licenses allow the legal "downgrade" to the previous version. This has been used in the IT world for years to help us buy new computers with new Operating Systems that may not work with business software. This is/was also applicable to Microsoft Office as well. Microsoft is smart enough to know when they release something that changes the game it takes business time to accept those changes. Otherwise, we'd all be using someone else's software.

As for the popups from User Account Control, here is a Technet article on it and how to disable it.

My staff and I don't have to worry about Vista at this point. All of the hospital's hardware is purchased through IS or it doesn't get bought. Our stance is that we won't support it until our main application's vendor says it's supported. That makes life so very simple. :D

My personal response to Vista is that it's nice. I don't recommend that anyone run out and get it yet, but it's not half bad. I really don't see the fuss about it being bloated and slow. So was XP, 2000, and Win9x when they were released. It really isn't much more of a resource hog than XPsp2. If you've bought a computer in the last two years and configured it properly it will run it with no problems other than periphreal support. More than likely there will be a service pack 4th QTR 2007 to fix what's wrong with it, and be patient, vendors are working on drivers for the periphreals. They're just way behind as usual.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2007
    First off I am an IT manager for a company of 250ish computers and 20ish servers at 7 offices around the NW.

I purchased a new Dell Latitude D820 for Vista testing. I have the exact same laptop with XP on it. Vista annihilates the laptop.

I consider my knowledge on the subject as very high.

I have spent a lot of time in Vista digging REAL deep.

My recommendation: Don’t buy Vista until the next generation of hardware comes out and drops in price.

I can best describe it as a hog.

Wait for a setup coming out as such:

Intel core 2 duo or Quad 1333 ghz chip (coming soon)
    DDR3 1333 ram in 4+ gigs (coming soon)
    DX10 Video card (maybe the next generation 8900's)
    Solid state drive or at least Rapter 10K RPM drives in raid 1

I found the OS extreemly stable in every way I use it in IT but its just a dog on the hardware.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 819
    edited June 2007
    I have upgraded my one year old Dell XPS 400 (Pentium D 820, 3GB dual channel ram, nVidea 7300 LE card with 256 MB Ram) a couple of weeks ago after taking backup of existing stuff. So far it hasn't been a let down for me. The upgrade went smooth and I haven't noticed any decrease in performance. The boot up time is the same(actually gets better by 1 sec) and application load time is similar.

I am not sure If I am being lucky so far or this OS is actually not that bad
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited June 2007
    You can still get XP on Dell machines if you go under SO/HO(small office/home office).
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited June 2007
    Never upgrade to a new Microsoft operating system (unless you're running away from ME) until a majority of the manufacturers out there have upgraded their drivers to work on the new o/s. This usually means service pack 2.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited July 2007
    avguytx wrote: »
    know) and they said it would void my warranty if I put XP on it and took off Vista. Well, hell.

I wanted to order a Dell XPS M1330 laptop and asked the Dell sales rep if I could get XP rather than Vista. She told me that XP was not available on the M1330, then she immediately informed me that if I replaced Vista with XP, that I would void the laptop's warranty. That conversation took place on 7/10/07.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited July 2007
    Can you still buy XP software if you needed a copy for a computer, or is it just Vista in the stores?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited July 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    Can you still buy XP software if you needed a copy for a computer, or is it just Vista in the stores?

Xp is still out there.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited July 2007
    All you have to do is get vista, wipe it out and install XP using any product key that works. Then when you have to activate windows just call Microsoft and tell them you're downgrading from Vista and they will provide you with a legal activation key.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited July 2007
    Two versions of Vista have downgrade rights and two do not:

Vista Business & Vista Ultimate can be downgraded to XP.

Vista Home & Vista Home Premium cannot be downgraded.

See the attached document for details.

The Dell laptop I wanted came with either of two Vista versions: Home Premium or Ultimate. Ultimate was a $193 option. Therefore, my options were:

1. Buy the laptop with Vista Home Premium, install XP and hope that I never need warranty service, in which case I would have to reinstall Vista HP.:mad:

2. Buy the laptop with the Vista Ultimate version and then legally downgrade to XP. In this case, I would be paying $193 extra for an operating system that I plan to replace!:eek: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Systems
    edited July 2007
    I've spent $500000 with Dell in the past 2 years. Dell will still tell me strait up that as a business I have to buy The Opliplex model of PC. You cant buy a Dimensions PC from them because they strait up tell you "Dimensions is not supported on a network". From a pure hardware perspective, that about the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard and I tell her my rep that when she says it. Never listen to Dell.

But you can only buy business models with XP from Dell now, the work I heard is that home PC's (Dimensions, inspiron) are Vista only now.

I can honestly say that Dell’s business practices are very shady at the least and I deal with them almost daily.

On that note, if you ever need a buisness PC let me know :)

If you priced up a Opliplex or Presision up on the public web site for $2000, my price is about $1400.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • jmwest1970
    edited July 2007
    Silverti wrote: »
    If you priced up a Opliplex or Presision up on the public web site for $2000, my price is about $1400.

$1400 is ridiculous! We're buying Optiplex 745s w/ XP SP2 and Office for less than $900 including the 17" LCD.
  • Systems
    edited July 2007
    jmwest1970 wrote: »
    $1400 is ridiculous! We're buying Optiplex 745s w/ XP SP2 and Office for less than $900 including the 17" LCD.

Lets compare specs, you got me interested :)

My last Optiplex was this:

Optiplex 745 SSF or full tower
    20" Ultrasharp LCD
    2 gigs ram
    Core 2 duo 2.66 ghz
    ATI 1400 256meg
    250 gig Sata
    Optical Mouse
    DVD+-RW
    XP Pro

3 year gold support
    3 year on site support

$1250

How does that compare with your pricing. Like I said, Dell is corrupt :)

Our Laptop standard build is:

Dell Latitude D830
    Core 2 duo 2.0ghz
    80 gig 7200 rpm drive
    2 gigs ram
    DVD+-RW
    Standard display with standard intel video
    Port replicator
    Dell laptop Bag
    Optical mouse
    XP Pro

$1350
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited July 2007
    My company only uses Dell Precision 390, 490, 690, M65(laptop) and Latitude D420 and D620. Those are the only option for PC's our employees get.

All still come with XP Pro, not Vista.
  • jmwest1970
    edited July 2007
    Lets compare specs, you got me interested :)

My last Optiplex was this:

Optiplex 745 SSF or full tower
    20" Ultrasharp LCD
    2 gigs ram
    Core 2 duo 2.66 ghz
    ATI 1400 256meg
    250 gig Sata
    Optical Mouse
    DVD+-RW
    XP Pro

3 year gold support
    3 year on site support

$1250

How does that compare with your pricing. Like I said, Dell is corrupt :)

We're not exactly comparing apples to apples. Our config is:

Optiplex 745 SFF
    17" standard LCD
    1GB RAM
    Core 2 duo 2.66 ghz
    Integrated video
    80 gig Sata
    Optical Mouse
    CDRW/DVD Combo
    XP Pro
    Office 2k3 Professional

No gold support, we blast and ghost them as soon as they're in-house and don't need software support

3 year on site support, although we never use on-site.

I can see a big difference in price with the 20" Ultrasharp and the Gold support. That's ~$500 IIRC.

I'm assuming with the video card, RAM, and monitor that your people are doing graphics intensive work. My users are hospital staff. Their primary app is a glorified telnet client. Only the administrative staff really has any use for anything other than that app and a browser for OWA so obviously we're light users on anything we buy.

We're in the process of moving away from PCs for most of our staff. Other than the aforementioned administrative staff our hospital will be all PXE thin client by the end of 2008. Citrix is a wonderful thing! :D
  • Systems
    edited July 2007
    jmwest1970 wrote: »
    We're not exactly comparing apples to apples. Our config is:

Optiplex 745 SFF
    17" standard LCD
    1GB RAM
    Core 2 duo 2.66 ghz
    Integrated video
    80 gig Sata
    Optical Mouse
    CDRW/DVD Combo
    XP Pro
    Office 2k3 Professional

No gold support, we blast and ghost them as soon as they're in-house and don't need software support

3 year on site support, although we never use on-site.

I can see a big difference in price with the 20" Ultrasharp and the Gold support. That's ~$500 IIRC.

I'm assuming with the video card, RAM, and monitor that your people are doing graphics intensive work. My users are hospital staff. Their primary app is a glorified telnet client. Only the administrative staff really has any use for anything other than that app and a browser for OWA so obviously we're light users on anything we buy.

We're in the process of moving away from PCs for most of our staff. Other than the aforementioned administrative staff our hospital will be all PXE thin client by the end of 2008. Citrix is a wonderful thing! :D

Ya, in responce to this and the previous poster.

We are an engineering consultant firm so we have a wide mix of users. I just bought 3 Quad core Xeon based Precisions for some of our CAD guys. 490's If I remember, with the ability to drop another quad core in it (holy hell, could you imaging 8 Xeon cores at 2.6 GHZ). Those were $4500 online and our price was like $3200. Those guys run Civil 3d 08 right now. Most normal users get the Opliplex or Latitude and they might get AutoCad light or vanilla CAD. We do have a few D630's for a few principles who wanted smaller laptops for no other reason then to be "cool".

We actually use the on site support for anything more then swapping our simple stuff. Just for the fact that we don’t have to do it because my guys are WAY over worked as it is :)

Dell doesn’t give us an option on Gold support... another pure scam on their part. They tell me strait to my face (well over the phone) that I have to pick gold support for in-house support. yup.. that complete BS.

You ever tried Dell servers? I’ve been an HP server guy for 15 years until I bought my last 2 from Dell. I’m telling you, they make some pretty damn good hard core servers. Friggen rock solid.

I think HP got a bit sloppy with their monopoly.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited July 2007
    Ya, in responce to this and the previous poster.

We are an engineering consultant firm so we have a wide mix of users. I just bought 3 Quad core Xeon based Precisions for some of our CAD guys. 490's If I remember, with the ability to drop another quad core in it (holy hell, could you imaging 8 Xeon cores at 2.6 GHZ). Those were $4500 online and our price was like $3200. Those guys run Civil 3d 08 right now. Most normal users get the Opliplex or Latitude and they might get AutoCad light or vanilla CAD. We do have a few D630's for a few principles who wanted smaller laptops for no other reason then to be "cool".

I can't even imagine what that computer power would have look like 20 years ago. :eek:

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited July 2007
    I've been brocking out with Visa ultimate for a while now, and haven't had any real problems once it was patched. All of my cameras and extra hardware have worked, including my wireless usb kayboard and mouse, usb hub(s), and m-audio sonica. All are several years old.

A lot of people forget that XP had the same issues with it came out, and so did Windows 2000. New is new, and old is old. Can't expect everything to work out of the box with a new product.

For most folks, waiting for SP1 is ideal. For IT folks, yeah XP still does everything needed. I don't plan on upgrading any of my users for a long while, but I think most IT folks should already be testing Vista and thinking about a rollout some time in the next couple of years.