New Range... Gas or Electric?

2»

Comments

• Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited June 2007
    Gas is better up top but last I checked it was known for uneven cooking in the oven.

As for the comment on cooking when the power goes out not all gas units will allow this. Some newer units will not allow the gas to flow unless their is electricity flowing.
  • Disc Jockey
    Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
    edited June 2007
    Gaara wrote: »
    As for the comment on cooking when the power goes out not all gas units will allow this. Some newer units will not allow the gas to flow unless their is electricity flowing.

I know this is true for the ovens but didn't know of any stovetop burners that had that feature. No big deal either way, I wouldn't base my buying decision on that feature alone anyway.
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2007
    I wish I had gas.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited June 2007
    TroyD wrote: »
    Well bully for you. So, if it's your opinon than it's gotta be fact, huh?

Did I say that gas was inherently better? No, I didn't. I said I PREFER gas.

It really doesn't have anything to do with what I know, or I don't know. It's what I PREFER. I'm reasonably educated and experience in the field. I'm not oblivious to the fact that there is always a better mousetrap, however....we are talkinga about preference, right?

BDT

Gee, where did I ever mention anything as fact? My opinion is that for commercial use, gas if definetely the way to go. For home use I simply said that "one is just as good as the other". I can go either way, but I prefer electric. Nothing more, nothing less was mentioned. Let's not make an "all amps sound the sound same" thread out of this.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited June 2007
    We got a Kitchenaid glass top electric recently (I wanted gas burners/electric oven combo), but I am pretty happy with the glass top electric. It looks nice. Clean up is a breeze, and it clearly cooks better than the stove prior.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited June 2007
    Gaara wrote: »
    Gas is better up top but last I checked it was known for uneven cooking in the oven.

You are correct sir.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited June 2007
    When we bought new appliances for our current house ( which we are leaving behind next week) We bought the smooth top self cleaning with no convection.This one has two expandables up front and two small elements in the back. The ceramic tops are easy to care for and easy to clean up as well.
    We decided to go all out on the new one. Can't wait we've never had convection but hear it works great. It also has a warming drawer which we've never had either, but can see coming in handy come Xmas, thanksgiving and so on. It also has a warming element so you can keep your sauces warm. The only downside I can see about the ceram tops is that you can't really shake your pan along the cook top or it will scratch.
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited June 2007
    When I get the clams, I was planning to use the Krell I want to buy! :D 2 birds with one stone!

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2007
    Man cook with fire, listen to tube...
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited June 2007
    My wife, who is a pretty good cook, could never get used to gas when we bought our current house that came with gas. When we did our kitchen remodel, she made me install an electric cooktop, along with a convection oven.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited June 2007
    Thank you for all your replies, now it's time for "aggressive negotiations" with the wife. ;)
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited June 2007
    My wife loves the smooth glass of the electric cooktop. Only word of caution, if you don't maintain a clean state on the glass, it'll be a royal pain to keep clean. But if you are quasi sanitary,

Go Glass all the way!
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier