New Range... Gas or Electric?

petrym
petrym Posts: 1,912
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
Since I value your informed opinions... would you recommend a gas or electric range to replace an existent electric range?

The wife likes the convenience of electric; the new smooth tops look pretty snazzy and easy to clean. I like the constant even heat and immediate change in temperature of gas. We do use the range a lot.

What do you think?
Post edited by petrym on

Comments

• beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited June 2007
    If your into cooking..

Gas is a no brainer....much better control over the heat
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,437
    edited June 2007
    And he should know, he's full of gas.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited June 2007
    Gas is more versatile, smooth tops are safer/cleaner. Weigh your needs, buy quality, and forget it.

Save the deep thought for audio upgrades.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • beardog03
    edited June 2007
    F1nut wrote: »
    And he should know, he's full of gas.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

whoops !
    :eek:
    That wasn`t a **** !
    Be right back !
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,978
    edited June 2007
    Gas.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,437
    edited June 2007
    beardog03 wrote: »
    whoops !
    :eek:
    That wasn`t a **** !
    Be right back !

Damn.........Poo Nuggets!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• beardog03
    edited June 2007
    the new ranges have different size diameter burners, for specific types of cooking..

We just got a new gas stove, and it is really cool...I wouldn`t even consider an electric one anymore
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited June 2007
    Stick with gas if you enjoy spending time scrubbing those damn grates. With todays technology the electric is every bit as good as gas & a breeze to clean. That old school thinking about gas vs elec doesn't apply anymore. For commercial cooking gas is the ticket, for home use today's electric is the winner. How about an induction cook top? Now we're talking hi-tech.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,978
    edited June 2007
    If you would really like to get technical about cooking, then a wood fire yields the absolute best results, period. Gas comes in a close second, then modern technology.

The cavemen had it best. Think I'll slide out now...........
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited June 2007
    I have had both, and I prefer GAS...Here is why...If you spill **** all the time, gas may be a pain to clean, but no more than electric. The electric is a pain in the **** to clean, at least you can take the grates off the damn oven to clean them, dry them off, and put them back on...Yeah, you still need to scrub the actual range, but that pales in comparison to scrubbing the damn Electric range surface..God forbid you spill something that bakes on the surface, what a pain in the ****...My roommate ruined the range in the last place because he scrubbed the piss out of it...It was all kinds of swirled...The finishes on quality gas range surfaces are also easier to clean, much like a real nice set of pots and pans...Hard anodized is the way to go man...
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2007
    Stick with gas if you enjoy spending time scrubbing those damn grates. With todays technology the electric is every bit as good as gas & a breeze to clean. That old school thinking about gas vs elec doesn't apply anymore. For commercial cooking gas is the ticket, for home use today's electric is the winner. How about an induction cook top? Now we're talking hi-tech.

There's a laugh.

Gas all the way.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • tcrossma
    tcrossma Posts: 1,301
    edited June 2007
    Get yourself a good gas cooktop with an even surface across the entire top. None of these individual burners where the pot can slide off. Gas is the way to go.
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2007
    I don't have any problems cleaning the grates..?

Gas, all the way.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • pearsall001
    edited June 2007
    Apparently you gas lovers just don't know your way around a kitchen. If you really want to do it up right, here's the way to go for you gas lovers. If you know what you're doing an electris range is just as productive & accurate as gas, especially for home use. http://www.aga-ranges.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_content=Aga&utm_campaign=Aga1
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • TroyD
    edited June 2007
    Huh, after all those years managing restaurants and so forth I guess maybe i don't know my way around a kitchen. :rolleyes:

My ingorance aside, I prefer gas.

check here for a picture of my stove:
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28336

BDT
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited June 2007
    this is the one we bought :

http://ca.lge.com/en/prodmodeldetail.do?actType=search&page=1&modelCategoryId=050701&categoryId=050701&parentId=0507&modelCodeDisplay=LSC5622-SS-SW-SB&enlarge=%2Fen%2Fdown%2Fproduct%2F050701%2FLSC5622-SS-SW-SB%2FLSC5622WS-L.jpg&model=1#

What ever you do spend the xtra and get true convection.the one we bought has the biggest oven @ 5.6 cub ft it's a beauty and not cheap . It also has a warming drawer. We like electric and the smooth top was a must once again. With proper care there are no issues. Our current Kenmore smooth top doesn't have a scratch on it and it's a year old.
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited June 2007
    Gas = Instantly & infinitely adjustable.

Electric = I thought I turned that up/down.
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited June 2007
    I would pick electric over gas for multiple reasons.

Electric ranges have more flexibility up top, you can have various sizes of burners that are adjustable and also some that aren't round, you can have oval burners for things like casserols.

Electric ovens are known to be better at keeping accurate temperatrure then gas ovens. This is for home use and assuming similar prices, I don't care to hear about how your $10,000+ oven at work keeps perfect temperature.

You can get more for your money with electric over gas. You can get a great gas range that has a oven that keeps its temperature well, but you will spend much more for it. When I used to sell these you would usually pay around 30% more for a gas oven with the same features as the electric version.

A few more things to consider, do you have gas already in the kitchen? You had electric before so you may not and this would cost extra. Also the connector is different for electric v gas, if I recall correctly most ovens are 30a while gas only requires 15a so you may need an electrician. Do you lose electricity often? If you lose it with an electric oven you can't cook, with gas you can still (most can some wont).

In a perfect world you would have gas on top electric on the bottom.
  • pearsall001
    edited June 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    There's a laugh.

Gas all the way.

A true rookie speaking!
  • pearsall001
    edited June 2007
    TroyD wrote: »
    Huh, after all those years managing restaurants and so forth I guess maybe i don't know my way around a kitchen. :rolleyes:

My ingorance aside, I prefer gas.

check here for a picture of my stove:
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28336

BDT

Ah, a fellow Polkie & Restauranteur. I to am in the same profession. Having graduated from here way back in '74 http://www.ciachef.edu/ I've manned the helm of many an upscale country club & restaurant. You are 100% correct that commercial kitchens are gas. For a few reasons...1st-restaurant owners are generally the cheapest **** alive, 2nd-electric units cost a lot more than gas. 3rd-gas wins hands down on operating costs. No restaurant owner in his right mind would ever consider electric. With all that being said, and after advancing thru the ranks up to GM of many places & now as owner of my own food service company I too know my way around a kitchen. My largest account is SONY DADC where they produce CD's & DVD's. Back in '93 SONY decides to drop over 5 million on a brand new state of the art food service complex. As owner, I was asked to join their design team. Boy, that was an experience. Of course our design was based on an all gas kitchen. Then our local electric provider made us an offer we couldn't refuse...so nix the gas eguipment & redesign now for all electric. Well, my Executive Chef went crazy, but hey it's their money. But you know what, after a short learning curve the Chef & kitchen staff feel in love with the all electric kitchen. All I'm saying is that for home use to me one is just as good as the other. Generally what I've found is the complainers never learned how to use the equipment properly. It's much easier to blame the stove than your lack of taking the time to learn how to use the equipment properly. My wife is a perfect example. I bought a really nice microwave/convection combo unit for her. She did some cakes, cookies. breads & she hated the way they turned out. She cursed that oven out like you wouldn't believe. I then showed her how to adjust the recipe for cooking time & temp & she now swears by that same oven she cursed out. To this day she won't do any baking in our regular "gas" oven (it came with the house) when it dies, an electric is taking it's place (maybe even an "induction" or an AGA) I've held cooking classes using an Induction unit & that just flabergasted people. They never saw a magneto cooker before. Instant heat as soon as you put the pan on & cool to the touch the second you take the pan off. You could literally put your hand on top of the range as soon as you removed the pan. Amazing!! Bottom line...whatever makes you happy. Gotta run, have a roast in the oven.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited June 2007
    whoops !

That wasn`t a **** !
    Be right back !
    Touch'n fabric?

I've had both and prefer electric, it's much cleaner to cook with. Get yourself one of those completely flat gas ranges, even messes wip right up, no grates to clean. Gas always left the film from the fumes on everything, I hated it.

As for cooking between the two, no difference.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited June 2007
    It's six of one, half dozen of the other. Either if fine, but be warned that if you aren't used to cooking with gas, you'll probably burn everything for the first month. This advice also applies to gas owners going to electric.
  • TroyD
    edited June 2007
    Ah, a fellow Polkie & Restauranteur. I to am in the same profession. Having graduated from here way back in '74 http://www.ciachef.edu/ I've manned the helm of many an upscale country club & restaurant. You are 100% correct that commercial kitchens are gas. For a few reasons...1st-restaurant owners are generally the cheapest **** alive, 2nd-electric units cost a lot more than gas. 3rd-gas wins hands down on operating costs. No restaurant owner in his right mind would ever consider electric. With all that being said, and after advancing thru the ranks up to GM of many places & now as owner of my own food service company I too know my way around a kitchen. My largest account is SONY DADC where they produce CD's & DVD's. Back in '93 SONY decides to drop over 5 million on a brand new state of the art food service complex. As owner, I was asked to join their design team. Boy, that was an experience. Of course our design was based on an all gas kitchen. Then our local electric provider made us an offer we couldn't refuse...so nix the gas eguipment & redesign now for all electric. Well, my Executive Chef went crazy, but hey it's their money. But you know what, after a short learning curve the Chef & kitchen staff feel in love with the all electric kitchen. All I'm saying is that for home use to me one is just as good as the other. Generally what I've found is the complainers never learned how to use the equipment properly. It's much easier to blame the stove than your lack of taking the time to learn how to use the equipment properly. My wife is a perfect example. I bought a really nice microwave/convection combo unit for her. She did some cakes, cookies. breads & she hated the way they turned out. She cursed that oven out like you wouldn't believe. I then showed her how to adjust the recipe for cooking time & temp & she now swears by that same oven she cursed out. To this day she won't do any baking in our regular "gas" oven (it came with the house) when it dies, an electric is taking it's place (maybe even an "induction" or an AGA) I've held cooking classes using an Induction unit & that just flabergasted people. They never saw a magneto cooker before. Instant heat as soon as you put the pan on & cool to the touch the second you take the pan off. You could literally put your hand on top of the range as soon as you removed the pan. Amazing!! Bottom line...whatever makes you happy. Gotta run, have a roast in the oven.

Well bully for you. So, if it's your opinon than it's gotta be fact, huh?

Did I say that gas was inherently better? No, I didn't. I said I PREFER gas.

It really doesn't have anything to do with what I know, or I don't know. It's what I PREFER. I'm reasonably educated and experience in the field. I'm not oblivious to the fact that there is always a better mousetrap, however....we are talkinga about preference, right?

BDT
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited June 2007
    Gas is better.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • irishaz
    irishaz Posts: 161
    edited June 2007
    I went with a gas cooktop and an electric oven. Seems to be working out fine. The gas cooktop has several different size burners as well as a "simmer burner" that gives a lot of flexibility.
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited June 2007
    I would just keep in mind the added expense or hassle of connecting gas where your range is located? Is there already gas connections in the location?

I'm sure gas companies will do local connects, but unsure of running new plumbing?
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,621
    edited June 2007
    Gas is the only way to go if you're into cooking. Much better heat control than electric.
  • Disc Jockey
    Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
    edited June 2007
    Another vote for gas. My mom and my mother in law both put in very expensive electric ranges. They do have their advantages but I still prefer gas by a wide margin.

Plus you can still use it when the power goes out :)
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited June 2007
    I prefer gas except for one thing. When the overhead fans are going it cools the flames to red hot instead of blue other than that I prefer big jet gas tops.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2007
    we replaced our aging electric stove with a new ceramic electric one two years ago.. i love the clean smooth surface of it.

they are much better and faster than the old coil electric stoves we all grew up with.

ours has four burners and a center burner to keep foods warm at low temps. Plus has a convection fan for faster cooking. It does help cook foods about 15% faster.. using less time and electricity to cook. It gives things like chicken and turkey a nice even brown cook to them. :)

i've never used a gas stove... but I really like the much faster heating times of these ceramic ones. although, it does take some time to cool down.. so a light stays lit till it's cool to touch.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin: