Hybrid Cars

2»

Comments

• markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited June 2007
    i don't plan on getting another car for at least 5 years as both of our vehicles have low miles (95 Accord 98K & 2000 Galant 67K). But when I do, it will be some form alternative vehicle. My hope is that by that time a wide range of options are available for the type of alternative vehicle (mini hybrid, hybrid, diesel, diesel hybrid, electrical).

It's so critical with China's double-digit increase in oil consumption yearly, and India not far behind, that we find a way to reduce our dependence on imported oil. The boys in Detroit can scream all they want, but they know the truth, they can easily meet the future fuel standards, and as a country any way that we can avoid the obvious upcoming oil wars will only benefit our country.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited June 2007
    My wife and I were recently considering a hybrid vehicle. After much research and driving we went the route of a VW Jetta TDI (Diesel). So far we absolutely love it. On the highway cruising at about 65-70mph I was getting just under 50mpg. That's on a brand new engine. From what I've been reading I will likely see significant gains as the engine continues to break-in.

I really like the fact that I'm getting hybrid like mileage out of a tried and true engine technology that is known for it's extremely long lifespan.

To top it off....this car was by far the most enjoyable/fun to drive. All the hybrids were just plain boring.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2007
    There you go. He expressed my views on this matter pretty much in its entirety.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited June 2007
    cmy330go wrote: »
    My wife and I were recently considering a hybrid vehicle. After much research and driving we went the route of a VW Jetta TDI (Diesel). So far we absolutely love it. On the highway cruising at about 65-70mph I was getting just under 50mpg. That's on a brand new engine. From what I've been reading I will likely see significant gains as the engine continues to break-in.

I really like the fact that I'm getting hybrid like mileage out of a tried and true engine technology that is known for it's extremely long lifespan.

To top it off....this car was by far the most enjoyable/fun to drive. All the hybrids were just plain boring.

I think that VW is bio diesel compatible too. I just had bad luck with VW.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited June 2007
    cmy330go wrote: »

I have heard the same thing about the MPG....I just hope the rumors of a new diesel Rabbit coming out next year are true....I know the Jetta is coming back, but I want something smaller...I really hope it at least has the leatherette interior as well....The only VW cloth worth a damn is the new GTI and the MKIV Recaro interior...The rest is kinda ho-hum if you ask me....
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2007
    ben62670 wrote: »
    I think that VW is bio diesel compatible too. I just had bad luck with VW.

You and everyone else. Very fun car to drive, until it breaks and puts you in the poorhouse.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited June 2007
    I understand that people have had problems with power windows and such on the previous models, but from what I've heard the current models are quite solid.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,