Hybrid Cars

Serendipity
Serendipity Posts: 6,975
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
So - what's the general consensus on hybrid cars?

Are they worth it?

And if you are going to buy a hybrid car, which one would you choose?
polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
polkaudio DSWPro550WI
polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
Post edited by Serendipity on

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,679
    edited June 2007
    Mrs. H has a 2005 Ford Excape 4x4. She likes it, but it's fair to say we're a little disappointed by the mileage (30 to 35 mpg, depending upon terrain, temperature, and type of driving). This at least partly reflects the kind of driving she does; it would do better in stop and go, city-type driving. She's put 50,000 miles on it, so she's certainly given it a good shakedown.

There are zillions of Priuses (Prii?) in this area; their owners all seem to love them. The hybrid Camry is an interesting idea, too.
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited June 2007
    The main Hybrid is the Toyota Prius. It is rated around 60 mpg, but temperature can play a factor and some people claim around 50 mpg. The good thing about the Prius, at least in my state, is that you can purchase a $10 window sticker that lets you drive in the HOV lane anytime. That is a big deal in traffic.

It is rumoured that the next generation Prius, coming soon will have 125mpg. A biodeisel hybrid is also a strong rumor.

The downside is that since this is new technogoly, the Prius had not been aging well in upper mileage. Batteries are warranteed for 7 years I think, as they will be a fortune to replace.

I suggest sticking with a good mpg car like the Honda Civic for now and waiting to see what comes down the road. They are making advances quickly.
    V
  • Serendipity
    edited June 2007
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Mrs. H has a 2005 Ford Excape 4x4. She likes it, but it's fair to say we're a little disappointed by the mileage (30 to 35 mpg, depending upon terrain, temperature, and type of driving).

I think 30 to 35 mpg is pretty good for an SUV, but that's just my opinion.

I like the Prius.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,679
    edited June 2007
    It's not bad, but it's also a pretty small vehicle. Our 1993 Ford Explorer 4x4 (part time 4wd) got 20 mpg in the same kind of driving with the V6 engine, and was quite a bit larger & more powerful.

I like the Prius, too, and it may be my next car. I have a 2000 Ford Focus ZX3 5-speed which I like for commuting (long-distance, mostly high-speed). Gets about 34 mpg long-term average. It does frustrate me a bit that the first car my wife & I bought new (1988 Chevy Corsica 5-speed) was a larger, heavier car than the Focus, but got significantly better mileage (close to 40 mpg in the same kind of driving). Somewhere between 1987 and 2000, the car manufacturers all decided we wanted more powerful engines. There was an article on this topic in the WSJ a week or so ago.
  • Serendipity
    edited June 2007
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Somewhere between 1987 and 2000, the car manufacturers all decided we wanted more powerful engines. There was an article on this topic in the WSJ a week or so ago.

I think most people want more fuel-efficient engines nowadays IMO.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited June 2007
    Well, Consumer Reports released a little while back that the mpg is not nearly as good as advertised in hybrid cars; in their tests, they discovered that the actual mpg was around 50% of the sticker price. The reason for this huge shortfall is because car manufacturers "assumed" that you'd be spending a lot of time in stand still traffic, where they can conveniently turn off their engine.

Here's an interesting resource: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/maintenance-accessories/surprising-facts-about-gas-mileage-1005/overview/index.htm?resultPageIndex=1&resultIndex=3&searchTerm=hybrid%20fuel%20efficiency
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • Serendipity
    edited June 2007
    Refefer wrote: »
    Well, Consumer Reports released a little while back that the mpg is not nearly as good as advertised in hybrid cars; in their tests, they discovered that the actual mpg was around 50% of the sticker price. The reason for this huge shortfall is because car manufacturers "assumed" that you'd be spending a lot of time in stand still traffic, where they can conveniently turn off their engine.

Here's an interesting resource: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/maintenance-accessories/surprising-facts-about-gas-mileage-1005/overview/index.htm?resultPageIndex=1&resultIndex=3&searchTerm=hybrid%20fuel%20efficiency

In NYC most of the time you're in stand still traffic. Especially during rush hour.

It's cheaper to take a taxi in Manhattan than to drive.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Refefer
    edited June 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    In NYC most of the time you're in stand still traffic. Especially during rush hour.

It's cheaper to take a taxi in Manhattan than to drive.

I'll give you that.

Then again, how many people live in NYC versus the rest of the country?

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • Serendipity
    edited June 2007
    I do. And I think a hybrid car is very practical for a place like NYC.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited June 2007
    So - between similar models, such as the Toyota Camry Hybrid and Nissan Altima Hybrid, is the hybrid technology basically the same? Is one necessarily better than the other?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2007
    Most of your questions would be better answered by research - I'm sure people here have information and opinions, but they're probably going to be tainted a bit, and no offense to anyone here, but it's doubtful they'll be accurate.

I have ot ask anyway - why are you buying a hybrid car? There's three reasons, and only one of them is really valid to me :
    1) to save the environment - the jury's still out on the environmental impact - yes you're saving on fossil fuels, but I've read conflicting reports on other environmental aspects. Not to mention, that if you really cared, you wouldn't drive to begin with. Especially living in MANHATTAN - if you care about the environment, walk or take a bike or public transportation.
    2) to save money on gas - you won't. it takes YEARS to offset the added cost of the hybrid itself, which is still much more expensive than a standard gasoline vehicle, PLUS added maintenance costs, PLUS having to possibly have a HUGE cost of replacing a battery down the road.
    3) to promote the technology, which is the only truly valid reason. If you believe hybrids are the wave of the future, and you want your automobile purchase money to go towards that goal, all power to you.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Serendipity
    edited June 2007
    I'm not necessarily buying a hybrid car. I'm just interested in them.

See the following thread: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53334

I'm just doing research because I might be getting my FIRST car in a few years or so.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited June 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    2) to save money on gas - you won't. it takes YEARS to offset the added cost of the hybrid itself, which is still much more expensive than a standard gasoline vehicle, PLUS added maintenance costs, PLUS having to possibly have a HUGE cost of replacing a battery down the road.

You won't save money on gas? I was always under the impression that hybrids save money on gas.

Maybe you won't save money overall, because the savings don't offset the additional costs associated with the vehicle, but I still think you're going to save money on gas. I may be wrong though :)
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• bobman1235
    edited June 2007
    Wise **** :) You get my point.
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited June 2007
    Hybrids are a great marketing hype right now, but you have to remember that the technology in current models was developed several years ago. Give it a couple more years to get a sense of direction, then spring for one.
  • Serendipity
    edited June 2007
    Hmm, if you disregard the additional costs associated with owning a hybrid car, you are still saving on gas. That's what I mean.

So it's more like an upfront investment - you're paying more for the car but you do save on petrol. Which I like.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,571
    edited June 2007
    I want a car with a V8 and 350 HP... RWD

I bet it'll get a good 20ish mpg... thats good enough.

I like the Chrysler 300c
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Serendipity
    edited June 2007
    I want a car with a V8 and 350 HP... RWD

I bet it'll get a good 20ish mpg... thats good enough.

I like the Chrysler 300c

Do you drive fast?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,571
    edited June 2007
    Not hardly... just like to drive fun vehicles...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Serendipity
    edited June 2007
    I'm not looking for a "fast" car. Besides where I'm from you can't go fast anyways. It's more like stuck in traffic most of the time.

But yeah I hear ya Sid.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited June 2007

You should check out the new Corvette then. A friend of mine is most likely getting one.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Refefer
    edited June 2007
    I do. And I think a hybrid car is very practical for a place like NYC.

I got ya, and agreed. Of all the hybrid cars listed by CR, the Prius got the best city, highway, and overall mpg of any hybrid at 35/50. You'll have to look to see how much the batteries are costing these days to replace, but that's the surest.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited June 2007
    Hmm, if you disregard the additional costs associated with owning a hybrid car, you are still saving on gas. That's what I mean.

So it's more like an upfront investment - you're paying more for the car but you do save on petrol. Which I like.

What about something like a Diesel Jetta? Diesel has been cheaper around here anywhere from 10-40 cents as of late, and the figures on that are something around mid 40s city and 52 highway....It is about the same concept you mentioned above, only you are paying less per gallon for gas at the same time...Diesel technology is only improving by the day now too...
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited June 2007
    My best friend has an '07 corvette with one of those mpg computers in the dash. He was on the phone with me cruising down the freeway at 70 mph in 6tth gear getting 40mpg. I told him I have to get the tranny out of one of those anf throw it in my van. As far as hybrids go... yes you may save money on gas, but is it going to be worth the extra money up front? As far as polution goes, I read somewhere that to manufacturing them puts off 3 times as much pollutants than making a hummer. How safe are they in a crash? Cars today a designed with "crumple" zones to absorb impact. So what happens when the car crumples, the windows shatter and the batteries spew acid all over?
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2007
    My 98 Corvette used to average 30mpg on the parkway when I had a few bolt ons(intake, headers, and exhaust). 3.73's only lowered the mpg by 1 or 2. Now that I have 3.90's, a 4400 stall converter, and over 400rwhp(500+ crank), I average about 20 on the parkway.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • venomclan
    edited June 2007

Hey Sid,
    I have a purple Yugo with a hood scoop and 20"s I am looking to unload...
    V
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited June 2007
    Man,I remember those Yugo's.Seen go-carts put together better than
    those pieces of crap.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • bobman1235
    edited June 2007

Investments are designed to make money. For a hybrid car, it takes a long time, if ever, to make money on your investment. So I wouldn't consider it an investment, I would consider it throwing money away.

It's like me telling you I could sell you a $500 device that would save you $100 on gas. Would you buy it?
  • tcrossma
    tcrossma Posts: 1,301
    edited June 2007
    Camry Hybrid is my choice.

tim
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH
  • venomclan
    edited June 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Investments are designed to make money. For a hybrid car, it takes a long time, if ever, to make money on your investment. So I wouldn't consider it an investment, I would consider it throwing money away.

It's like me telling you I could sell you a $500 device that would save you $100 on gas. Would you buy it?

There really is no way to calculate that investment, it is dependant on the area, how much one drives, etc...

If you are looking to get a car in the price range of a Prius anyway, then the investment section is moot. Spending an "extra" **** amount of $ to get the hybrid version is the only deciding factor. Will it pay off, maybe.

For me, a hybrid would pay off quick. I drive 65 miles round trip each day. I live in a warm area. The hybrid allows me to drive in the HOV lane, saving a lot of time. Someone driving less in a colder climate would not see a return so fast.

I would prefer a biodeisel option over a hybrid. Or better yet, the biodiesel hybrid or ethanol hybrid would maximise mileage.
    V