Panasonic exec declares Blu Ray the winner.

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
Obviously he will have a biased opinion as they don't support HD-DVD but here is his take. http://www.twice.com/index.asp?layout=articlePrint&articleID=CA6453379
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited June 2007
    I guess BR is declared the winner for what, the third time now in the last few months?
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2007
    wouldn't that be so awesome if all the other large electronics companies supported HD DVD instead? leaveing Blu Ray like Betamax LOL :p
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited June 2007
    I guess it all comes down to what customers want.

And they are buying Blu-Ray.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited June 2007
    Wally World puts out $100 HD-DVD player and we will know right away.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited June 2007
    Go Blu.

Not that I am against HD-DVD, just that this war should have never started. 1 format is all we need.
    V
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2007
    Aren't BR disks more expensive to manufacture? On that alone I don't understand why more people don't support HD. Then again, there may be a higher profit margin in BR.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited June 2007
    Actually the average price of HD-DVDs is in many cases higher. Some studios are releasing their HD-DVDs on combo disks and charge you for the extra copy in the DVD format. 300 will release this way. Otherwise an identical transfer sound and video wise. Just more expensive on HD-DVD. Not sure why they decided to do this...

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Disc_Announcements/Warner/300_to_Conquer_Blu-ray,_HD_DVD_This_July/631
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited June 2007
    This is such BS. I'm now in the disgusted consumer camp.
    Let's throw in a few SACDs and dvd-audio discs, and maybe some mini discs. DAT too. We need more dead ended technology.
    I'm waiting for a new encoding format for the sound tracks so we have to throw out all our surround sound gear.
    On that note, rant is over. I think I'll go listen to some 2 channel tube gear for a while. :mad: :mad:
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Systems
    edited June 2007
    I think if BR players were as competitively priced as Toshibas HD units then BR would gain even more of the market and maybe the give HD the KO punch.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited June 2007
    I don't believe anyone can declare victory until either format has all the studio support. Until Universal studios goes to the BR camp, the war continues...
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,978
    edited June 2007
    SACD should be the one and only winner.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited June 2007
    engtaz wrote: »
    Wally World puts out $100 HD-DVD player and we will know right away.

EXACTLY---BRAVO ENGTAZ my man, you hit the nail on the head.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited June 2007
    You folk's that jumped the gun knew this could happen...right? You took a chance and rolled the dice---now man up....I know, "steve, why don't you have a hot mug of STFU"...LOL
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited June 2007
    It still isn't over, and neither format will be rolling in the dough until there's thousands of titles available.

I'll stick with my Oppo upconverter for a year or two before I jump.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited June 2007
    steveinaz wrote: »
    You folk's that jumped the gun knew this could happen...right? You took a chance and rolled the dice---now man up....I know, "steve, why don't you have a hot mug of STFU"...LOL

I pretty much said the same thing. It's dumb to invest in something that may not even last a couple years. I got an HDDVD player as a gift and I have enjoyed it, however it's way too early to really invest in the media, Blu-Ray or HDDVD.

I guess if you have the money to burn, have at it, but it seems like irrational purchasing to me, unless of course you're going to keep the dead format integrated into your system. *shrug*
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2007
    even though BR and HD-DVD are still pretty new to consumers.. you gotta know that they are already in development of the next generation DVD format, right?

Development takes years... so while we're just now embracing HD-DVD and BR, once we all get to those formats, the DVD format will change. silly really... but you can't stop technology advancements.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,670
    edited June 2007
    I'm still digging the tape out of my 8-track player.
    Sal Palooza
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited June 2007
    Reel to Reel here
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited June 2007
    So, a Panasonic exec (who makes a BR player) *declares* BR the winner? Why is this even worth mentioning?

Guess what, I bet you could find a Sony exec to say the same thing. And you could just as easily find a Toshiba exec to say that HD-DVD is the winner. Who gives a $h!t?

Here's to hoping for a 3rd format from China to win, just to screw up all the companies that decided to screw the customer instead of agreeing on one format.
  • Systems
    edited June 2007
    PhantomOG wrote: »

Guess what, I bet you could find a Sony exec to say the same thing.
    Probably
    You could just as easily find a Toshiba exec to say that HD-DVD is the winner.
    Not likely :rolleyes:
    Who gives a $h!t?
    Many.:)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited June 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    I pretty much said the same thing. It's dumb to invest in something that may not even last a couple years. I got an HDDVD player as a gift and I have enjoyed it, however it's way too early to really invest in the media, Blu-Ray or HDDVD.

I rent anyways so to me the war is pretty meanless except I only get part of the available movies. HD-DVD is enough for me until BR players get down to $200 or so. I'd consider getting PS3 but I've only heard bad things about their reliability so I'll wait until that is solved and their prices also go down.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited June 2007
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Exactly, the first format to run out of the gate was the automatic winner....:confused:

Sami,
    "I'd consider getting PS3 but I've only heard bad things about their reliability so I'll wait until that is solved and their prices also go down."
    I seriously have not heard a single thing. Incrediable firmware support and i don't know of anyone who has had issues. What issues have you heard about?
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited June 2007
    scottvamp wrote: »
    I seriously have not heard a single thing. Incrediable firmware support and i don't know of anyone who has had issues. What issues have you heard about?
    I have heard a lot of random shutdowns, overheating. I was at my friends house playing Madden one day, great graphics btw on FP, it shutdown twice before we gave up on it and continued to drink. This was a replacement unit to the one that started to smoke inside.
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited June 2007
    Panasonic exec declares Blu Ray the winner.

kiss my black ****!

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • cheddar
    edited June 2007
    Sami wrote: »
    I have heard a lot of random shutdowns, overheating. I was at my friends house playing Madden one day, great graphics btw on FP, it shutdown twice before we gave up on it and continued to drink. This was a replacement unit to the one that started to smoke inside.

To be fair, there were some stability issues with early releases of firmware in regards to blu-ray playback. But the latest firmware upgrades have made the machine rock solid. Certainly nothing like the problems with the 360 that have been reported over in the video game forum. I would think the problem your friend had was the exception more than the rule. But still sux if the darn thing was smoking...:eek:
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited June 2007
    PS3 seems to be working ok for both the boys.
    At $600, I don't know how anyone is buying them. The boys bought their own.
    I see that the PS3's are bleeding the Sony electronics division dry.
    That's quite a price to pay for getting Blu Ray established.
    The risk was big, time will tell if it was a good gamble.
    I do know that if it wasn't part of the gaming system, there wouldn't
    be that many BR players in circulation.
    You can't fault the Japanese for not being forward thinking.
    American companies would never go that far in the hole to
    win the market share.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • cheddar
    edited June 2007
    Boy, you got that right. Sony's taking it in the nuts in the gaming division to lift the company as a whole long term. The gaming division is going through a very public trashing in the media even as the movie and hdtv divisions rise in future potential. But if blu-ray succeeds -- Wasn't it john madden that said the greatest deoderant is success...;)
  • Demiurge
    edited June 2007
    BIZILL wrote: »
    kiss my black ****!

You aren't black, cracker, I think you just forgot to wipe. :p
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited June 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    You aren't black, cracker, I think you just forgot to wipe. :p

okay, you got me. i'm not black. i'm no more black than bluray is the confirmed winner of the format war! so thank you for helping me prove my point!

:rolleyes:

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Demiurge
    edited June 2007