Got My LSi15 Demo On Today...

phuz
phuz Posts: 2,372
edited September 2002 in Speakers
.... and I'm picking them up on Monday. :D

They were hooked up to a Marantz DVD/CD player, and a Marantz 60 or 70wpc amp. Bi-wired with monster cable. No pre, or reciever.

I was very impressed. Over the last 2-3 weeks I've been going all around town listening to PSB, Definitive Tech, Paradigm, and other speakers within the range of my budget and some much higher... and I have to agree with the reviews that I've read/heard - the 15's are better than just about any speaker in it's price range. Sure, I heard some magnepan, martin logan, and other speakers that had their good sides... but overall the LSi15's have won.

I brought 4 CD's with me. Dave Matthews Band - Before these crowded streets, Tool - Lateralus, the original musical score to the movie batman (Danny Elfman), and Ambient Grooves - New Urban Electronica (very bass heavy).

With DMB and Tool CD's were more detailed and accurate that I have ever heard them before. Little details were there that I had never heard before. The sound was full and warm. I really don't know how to describe it, but it just sounded damn good.

The batman CD is a classical style CD. On almost all speakers that I've heard this CD sounded airy and distant, only when I put my headphones on did I get a sense of being there and hear the small details. The 15's filled in the gaps a bit, and filled out the sound. I was still left wanting a little more, but I think the problem is with the CD - and not the speakers.

"Ambient Grooves" is a completely electronic CD created by a single producer consisting of bass heavy beats, and heavily synthesidsed melodies and spacy effects. I usually bring this CD with me for demos to test out the bass response and to hear how the equipment reacts to electronic music. The 15's took the almost overbearing bass on this CD and leveled it, making it sound more like music than just *boooooom boooom* - this Cd also has notes that go down near the 20-30hz level, and I have to admit that the 15's did seem to fall off a bit at low levels. I will most likely have to get a sub later on to fill out the very bottom of the scale. Whoever says these towers are 'boomy' is flat out wrong, but I guess some recievers and rooms could cause a little 'boomyness' - but that's the case with any speaker.

The 15's also presented this CD in a very true fashion. This CD is good, melodic, and has great rhythms, but it was also made by computers and other electronic gear in someone's bedroom. When listening on most systems in a vehicle, pro-audio systems in a club, or even my R series speakers, the CD sounds great - the music really catches you and gets your head bobbing/booty shaking. Today I heard errors in production, feedback, and limitations in the equipment that the producer made this CD with. At least I don't think he intended for some of the effects to blead through and cover the entire track... i don't know a single producer that would?

The only drawback I see about the 15's is the fact that I will be dissappointed in the production quality of some of the stuff I listen to, but that's not my fault or Polk's fault. ;)

Overall the LSi15's are the best thing I've heard within it's price range, or even more. Sure there are some speakers that sound a little better, but they are at least twice the price, twice the floorspace, and I just can't justify $1500+ MORE to get an incredibly minimal bit of 'better' sound.

I can't wait to get them home...............
Post edited by phuz on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited September 2002
    I see you like them alot.
    Join the fan club.
    Now the question is what color and what are you going to run them with?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • phuz
    edited September 2002
    Originally posted by mantis
    I see you like them alot.
    Join the fan club.
    Now the question is what color and what are you going to run them with?

EBONY! Right now, my HK/Rotel gear with JPW bi-wire.

Eventually, a rotel pre or reciever with seperate amps.
  • phuz
    edited September 2002
    Scratch that. Just talked to the woman and some friends, took a vote.... looks like cherry is the winner. heheh
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited September 2002
    The cherry is very sexy. You'll like them.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited September 2002
    phuz,
    1. The cherry finish is an excellant choice
    2. 15's in any color are an excellant choice!!

Congrats....You won't be sorry!!

When are you going to complete the set? FX, CTR, ?
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • phuz
    edited September 2002
    Thanks y'all. :)
    Originally posted by Frank Z

When are you going to complete the set? FX, CTR, ?

As soon as I have the cash! It think no less than one month, and no more than two months... that is if I'm still employed then (contract can end at any time).

I think I'm going to go with the 9's for the rear, unless someone can convince me otherwise.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited September 2002
    phuz,
    Go with the 7's for the rear channels. You'll be more than impressed with the sound and you will save some coin also! I don't know how big your room is but the 7's work great in mine(12x19)!

If you have not done so already, click on my signiture to see how the 7's fit in with the other Lsi's.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited September 2002
    I like the "non-direction" feeling of my FX, and the flexibility of placement. They are designed just as well as the 7s or 9s, just in a funny shape ;)
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited September 2002
    I'd go with the 9's. I think you get a lot for the 100 bucks between the 7's and 9's, especially if you're planning on keeping them for a long time. [And why wouldn't you be! :) ]
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited September 2002
    Do the LSi15 have more slam than the RTi line? Or do they just give a better soundstage/imaging, etc? I'm planning a big upgrade next summer, probably the RTi150 or seperates. If the LSi15 totally destroys the RTi line and have more slam, I would probably get seperates then replace my 800i with a pair of LSi15.

Maurice
  • phuz
    edited September 2002
    Originally posted by organ
    Do the LSi15 have more slam than the RTi line? Or do they just give a better soundstage/imaging, etc? I'm planning a big upgrade next summer, probably the RTi150 or seperates. If the LSi15 totally destroys the RTi line and have more slam, I would probably get seperates then replace my 800i with a pair of LSi15.

Maurice

I really can't answer that because I've never really heard the RTi line, but I know someone here can.

As far as the RTi150's, I don't know if anyone can answer that yet. Has anyone even heard them yet?

Demo the 15's if you can. :D
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    organ,
    I hear and understand the question.But it's what your looking for in a speaker that will determine which way to go.

I can tell you briefly why I went to the Lsi series over going newer or lets say refined rt series.I'm not sure if you can relate to my reasons but maybe you can understand mine.OK...I believe the rt line has a nice overall sound.They can do Home Theater real well and music good.I wanted a more refined and cleaner sound then what the rt line could reproduce.I owned Polks for a long time and without going on and on about the path that took me to the Lsi line,they where the logical upgrade...

The Lsi line vs the rt line..Yes they Image better,have a bigger soundstage,clearer,and out perform the rt line in veryway but one.................extreme low end punch.My meaning of that is compared to the powered tower's.The bass can overwelm the speakers causing it to sound very un natural.The Lsi's control there bass output to the point of seemless blend.Music sounds more alive and open.Drums sound like drums,bass guitar sounds like a bass guitar....not with a added boom boom boom forcing out and upping the db of those certain sounds.
    The same goes for the rt800i series,they don't have the forced bass sound but do drag and mud up the bottom end with what they can reproduce.........remember in comparsion to the Lsi's.

Mid range and highs ae completely out matched.The rt line doesn't even come close to competing.The detail goes way behond what the rt line could ever dream of.The tweeter is so damn good,any hiss or ear bleading effect simply isn't there.You can at least I can get tired of listening to the rt series.They make you feel tired if you listen to long.

The Lsi's aren't for everyone...........as you said about the Slam.........lsi's don't have slam......they have depth.

So by best advice if your looking for SLAM MODE go with the rt line,If your more cridical with your listening,like pure natural sounds of Instruments,have a desire for...........purer fidelity,then the Lsi's are the way to go.

I feel that the Lsi 's are Polk's very best introduction into high end type sound.I hope they continue to offer better and better examples of what the Lsi 's stand for.
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    OK ,
    I wasn't done so here is a compare that I can use to let people understand my view of comparing the 2 different lines.

Rt line is like a Muscle car....ripping and raging to tear up the pavement.
    Lsi line is like a Sports car......demanding to be driven on demanding roads.Cornering not achived at any other level.

Force or finese........which do you like better???
    Dan
  • organ
    edited September 2002
    Thanx for the great post mantis. Damn, how far does one have to go to achieve both force and finesse? The audio industry is so mean LOL. I've been doing some thinking and I will be getting seperates first and when I have the $$$ I will demo both the RTi150 and LSi15. I only listen to metal but there are a few metal bands I listen to that mix both metal with a full orchestra as well as a choir and when I listen to these bands I demand accuracy, depth, etc. I just love the sopranos and the strings when they sound natural(no force needed). Will my 800i's benefit from seperates? I'm currently running an Onkyo TXDS575. Or are the RTi line designed for receivers? I want to get a Rotel 5.1 receiver with pre-outs first(most likely by xmas or spring). I want to max out my 800i's before I upgrade them.

Maurice
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    organ,
    putting seperates on the rt line is purely up 2 you.I just feel you can do better with better speakers to go with the better amps.I tested this theory again with my Rotel pre and amp vs the Denon avr 3801 running the rt1000p's.Yes the Rotel did sound better then the Denon,but the Lsi 15's showed off what the rotel can do.It's just My Opnion that receivers do a fine job(a good receiver)running the rt line.They don't need alot of power or current to get them to go.They are better for Theater then music In My Opnion,and for the money it makes for a nice setup.A couple grand and your on your way to 5.1 audio or 7.1.Nice, clean ,affordable.

If your looking to buy a Rotel Home Theater receiver,get the RSX1065,it's like having a pre amp and amp just Integrated,it doesn't sound like typical receivers, alot more head room and clearer sound.Nice...I like it myself.You don't need to worry about using the preouts with that peice.The built in amps will run the Lsi line If thats where you'll go next,just fine.You know I even think it has better Dynamic range then the mighty B&K avr307.Sounds better 2.

The rti line seems more suited for your taste as I read it,slam will not happen with the Lsi's.Hey you never know the new Rti150 just might be what your looking for.
    Dan
  • organ
    edited September 2002
    Thanx for the reply and insight on the Rotel. I will check it out on their website and find out the price(CDN). Even though it's an integrated, does it have pre outs? I made a big mistake with my Onkyo. I should have gotten the upper model with pre outs incase I want a different sound or if I decide to upgrade to the LSi. There's just something about the simplicity of amps that's so sexy. If the price is too high for me, I will probably get their lower model receiver first, then get seperate amps. The only speakers I will be running with the amps are the mains but I still enjoy some HT.

Maurice
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    organ,
    the Rotel RXS1065 retails for 2 grand.Thats a modest price for todays market with all the super receivers in the 3 and 4 grand area.God I just can't see spendign that much money on a receiver.Granted you get more flexability but sound quality just isn't there.

You seem real focused on seperate amps.Hell why not just go for the rsp1066 pre amp,start with the rb1070 2 chaneel amp and build off of it.Add the rmb1075 down the road for theater.Killer.

But like I said and I will say it again,there is no need for an external amp with using the rsx1065 unless your going to use 7.1 or multiroom.Trust me with Polk speakers even the Lsi's that peice will run them into the stratosphere.
    Go check it out and listen.....I did and it ruined everything else I was into then.
    Dan
  • phuz
    edited September 2002
    They don't have cherry in stock. I won't get them for like 2 weeks. :(
  • phuz
    edited September 2002
    They're heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere!@#$@#%^#$@!(*@#(&amp;^!@#$()*)(#$

Picking them up in an hour. :D
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    very cool. I love getting new stuff and being proud of it.
    Dan
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited September 2002
    They're heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere!@#$@#%^#$@!(*

Lucky ****.....:D
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • phuz
    edited September 2002
    Originally posted by nascarmann

Lucky ****.....:D

What are you talkin about? Didn't you just get some SDA's?!? I'd be just as happy about those.....

D@mn these things sound good. :)

*goes back to going through his CD collection*
  • tpeter
    tpeter Posts: 65
    edited September 2002
    I just got Lsi15s and they are amazing, I got the whole Lsi set and it rocks. I am still in the stage of tweaking them and trying to get the very best. As far as the RTi series, there good but kjow where near as good as the Lsi, i work at Circuit City and have heard all the RTis.
    Polk LSi 15
    Polk LSi/C
    Polk LSi/FX
    SVS Ultra
    SVS PB3000
    Monolith 15 THX
    Denon 3700h "switching to Onkyo rz50"
    Monolith 7 AMP.