blew up my first speaker today

ilikesound
ilikesound Posts: 355
edited June 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
completely on purpose, mind you. i went to walmart to get a garden hose for my father, and while giggling at what i saw in the "pro audio" dept., found what they call a Roadmaster subwoofer for around 20 bucks. so, i did the smart thing and picked up two. i take this silly looking thing out to my car, and smile as i hook it up to the alpine mrp-m450 that's now grinning at me in an evil fashion. for some reason i knew exactly what it had in mind. so i hop in the driver's seat and put in Dimmu Borgir's album, "Puritanical Misanthropic Euphoria". for those who don't know this album, the drums have an impactual sound similar to exploding a hand grenade in a closet. so i let it play for about ten minutes, you know, break that **** in a little bit. The track "Hybrid Stigmata: The Apostasy" starts playing, and i just HAVE to crank up the volume while listening to that song. im listening to this track in dead stop traffic on the highway hoping that the person occupying the suburban next to me doesn't start bleeding from his eardrums, when all of a sudden i hear something strange. it sounded like paper being shredded. i had to laugh heartily as i knew something had happened to my poor Roadmaster subwoofer. it must have been funny to see a 20 something year old guy dressed like a dead person blast death music then laugh about an explosion in his trunk! i pull into my driveway eventually, and pop my trunk open not only to find my worst fear come true, but the truth was SCATTERED all over the trunk! the grill was even in multiple pieces lying around my trunk bed. i applauded myself for being so ingenious!

long story short, this sub is amazing. go buy one, you too can make your car explode in a fury of death metal!
At Home:
Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
Pioneer VSX-80TXV
Toshiba HD-XA2
Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
Panamax 4300EX
Polk RTi8's
Polk CSi3's
Polk FXi3's. (x2)
Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
JVC HDR-50
stock system in new car for now:(
Post edited by ilikesound on

Comments

• ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited June 2007
    Pictures tell a thousand words.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • ilikesound
    edited June 2007
    unfortunately my camera is lost somewhere in indiana. i totally wish i could have savored the moment, as well as shared it with you fine people. so sorry, another day, and remember, i still have one more of the subs laying around waiting to be destroyed, so when that camera decides to show up, there will be pics.
    At Home:
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,386
    edited June 2007
    Hopefully, you'll grow up one day.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2007
    where's the fun in that? hey, if you've got twenty bucks burning a hole in your pocket, and you're not old enough for the strip clubs, why not?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2007
    F1nut wrote: »

oh frack off... the kid's not out doing drugs or causing trouble, he's blowing 20 or 40 bucks on a little audio mischief and mayhem.

my grandmother used to say something like, "what you do in the driveway is of no matter to me, because its a lot better than what you'd be doing in a bar".

i applaud your 'destructo-speaker' mentality... may all roadmasters fear you.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2007
    I plugged the remaining coil on my sub to the outlet the other day. I was taking a video but my g/f's cheap **** camera only takes 10s videos...and it lasted longer than 10s...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2007
    IDmaxes are reccomended to be broken in by wiring the D4 coils in series across 2 to 4 subs and jambing it into the wall for an hour er somethin... least that was the V2's and their predecessors... gave u somethin between 400 and 700 watts constant. did the job too. soft as butter when u're done.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,386
    edited June 2007
    Eh, he's over 21, dressed like a dead person, blasting death music and blowing up cheap subs for kicks. Yeah, I'll say it again. It's time to grow up.

I'll go back upstairs and join the adults now. :D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2007
    *throws wooden spoon at you* -- we us be grown ups persons here... where's my diaper dammit?
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2007
    Eh, he's over 21, dressed like a dead person, blasting death music and blowing up cheap subs for kicks. Yeah, I'll say it again. It's time to grow up.

I'll go back upstairs and join the adults now. :D

dont let the door hit you in the **** on the way out...

...sorry, i saw Knocked Up the other day and have been saying that to anyone that gives me half a reason too:p
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Jack from Indo
    Jack from Indo Posts: 109
    edited June 2007
    ilikesound......way ta go! I'm 48 years old, an established business owner, and even I'M not too old for that kind a fun. And when I interview for new employees, I actually look for that kind of creative attitude. Keep it up.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited June 2007
    ilikesound......way ta go! I'm 48 years old, an established business owner, and even I'M not too old for that kind a fun. And when I interview for new employees, I actually look for that kind of creative attitude. Keep it up.

I'll just need to remind myself that anything with a "Made in Indonesia" label on it should be avoided at all costs. :rolleyes:
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • ilikesound
    edited June 2007
    haha haha ha. ha.
    At Home:
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
  • ilikesound
    edited June 2007

**** are you talking about? maybe someday you will have the courage to go out and have some fun. in the meantime, go back to your day job and cry as your mortgage goes up, and feed your family instead of ripping on a 23 year old who actually enjoys car audio and all its aspects.
    sorry, but it had to be said.
    At Home:
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited June 2007
    This is why I don't frequent the Car Audio Forum.

Car Audio and Home Audio are like oil and water.

This thread will probably have more flames coming off it than the roadmaster when all is said and done.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited June 2007
    ilikesound wrote: »
    **** are you talking about? maybe someday you will have the courage to go out and have some fun. in the meantime, go back to your day job and cry as your mortgage goes up, and feed your family instead of ripping on a 23 year old who actually enjoys car audio and all its aspects.
    sorry, but it had to be said.

Jesse is a werewolf and only comes out at night....and he probably has more fun in a week than you will have in a lifetime. NO DAY JOB...NO FAMILY...and his hair....is perfect!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited June 2007
    Canyonero! Yah! Canyonero!
  • Jack from Indo
    edited June 2007
    ilikesound: Obviously, a couple of the posters on this thread will be happier going upstairs to listen to their Richard Clyderman and Micheal Bolton CD's on the cushy couch, sitting in front of the home audio. Maybe we can send them some Pringles and diet coke to smooth over their feelings.:cool:
  • AndyGwis
    edited June 2007
    Maybe we can send them some Pringles and diet coke to smooth over their feelings.

PM sent. Interested in Sour Cream and Onion Pringles and Cherry Diet Coke.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • Jack from Indo
    edited June 2007
    lol! Actually I envy the home audio guys. I confess I do not have a home stereo myself because I don't have a home. I sold it to pay for my car's system.:p
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2007
    I personally cant wait to get a house so I can finally put together a reference level home audio system!!

Hopefully we'll have a house by the end of the year and before we even get furniture, Im buying audio gear!

Even think Ill even shun the surround sound in favor of a higher quality 2 channel system! I cant wait!

I love car audio and SQ competitons and will be doing it for many years to come, but no matter how good your car system is, it will never be as good as sitting on your comfy couch in your underwear with a beer listening to audiophile grade recordings with perfect and proper imaging and without the bother of road noise.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 300m
    300m Posts: 28
    edited June 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    I personally cant wait to get a house so I can finally put together a reference level home audio system!!

Hopefully we'll have a house by the end of the year and before we even get furniture, Im buying audio gear!

Even think Ill even shun the surround sound in favor of a higher quality 2 channel system! I cant wait!

I love car audio and SQ competitons and will be doing it for many years to come, but no matter how good your car system is, it will never be as good as sitting on your comfy couch in your underwear with a beer listening to audiophile grade recordings with perfect and proper imaging and without the bother of road noise.

Give me a shout when you need some gear, I know someone in the speaker business. :D
    Team Schil Acoustics

’05 MECA world champion
    ’06 MECA world champion
    ’06 MECA Culbertson cup (best of show)
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2007
    AndyGwis wrote: »
    This is why I don't frequent the Car Audio Forum.

Car Audio and Home Audio are like oil and water.
    honestly, was this really necessary?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2007
    300m wrote: »
    Give me a shout when you need some gear, I know someone in the speaker business. :D

Hmmmmmm.....

;)
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • AndyGwis
    edited June 2007
    neomagus00 wrote: »
    honestly, was this really necessary?

I wouldn't call anything having to do with home theater, home audio, or car audio "necessary". . .

Just having a little fun. Don't take too much offense to my facetious comments.
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, there will always be a rivalry. Just like between the Army and Marines, the Vols and the Dawgs, Cowboys and Redskins, Yankees and everybody else.

Its just the way it is and there isnt anything wrong with it. A healthy rivarly is good for the soul.

• PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2007
    the last half of this thread should just be deleted - it's gettin ridiculous.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited June 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    it will never be as good as sitting on your comfy couch in your underwear with a beer listening to audiophile grade recordings .

Honestly, was this really necessary?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited June 2007
    The comment or the picture in your head of MacLeod sitting on his couch in his underwear with a beer?
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited June 2007
    Yup, this one is getting weird.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°