Ragin' Road Rage on the Road

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2007
    Meh, it's not like it's against the law. You just think your'e better than everyone, and are inconsiderate to other drivers, and don't care that you're the reason there's traffic.

I actually usually let those people in, unless I'm in a particularly bad mood. Otherwise they just clog up another lane of traffic, and really, what's the point, they'll get in eventually. I got other battles to fight.

EDIT i thought we were talking about off-ramps. When a lane is closed for construction or something I think everyone should go until the very end, so they all merge at ONE point rather than having a big cluster-eff for a half a mile.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited June 2007
    I really get pissed at the old people in the beat up cars. Howd their cr get beat up? But swerving inot other lanes, hitting light poles, etc... If your so old that you can't see or control your car, get off the road instead of cutting me off so you can drive 20MPH under the speed limit.

Maryland drivers in PA. GET IN THE RIGHT LANE MORONS!!!

People on cell phones should be given DWI tickets...

SUV's in general. I still would love a law where anyone driving a vehicle larger than a jeep cherokee needs a special license where they have to prove that they can control and park the vehicle.

People who stop before turning right where there's no stop sign or traffic light.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited June 2007
    Along with most of those that have already been mentioned, these annoy me:

People who drive without their lights on after it's dark. Also people who drive with only their FOG lights on.

Tailgaters! Tailgating, and cell phone usage by people who simply can't drive while talking on the phone (some people can, most people can't) surely has to account for a large percentage of traffic accidents.

Dog in lap while driving.

Reading newspaper while driving.

The "fashionable", goofy custom taillights that people install these days. Red is for brakes, yellow (or red) is for turn signals. I don't want to see blue brake lights. "Blacked-out" taillamps is another one. I'm pretty sure neither of these are legal, but a few years ago, in a brilliant move to "streamline the process" our Governer did away with the mandatory vehicle safety inspections. So now: Brake lights don't work? Big deal! No turn signals? Ha! Steel showing all the way around your tires? Struts held together with baling wire (I've seen this- really not funny)?? Maybe you'll get a ticket after the accident, if you're still alive.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited June 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    eh? Aren't you supposed to brake down hill to slow down? Unless I'm missing something here...

Depends. Small hills like what we have in souther NJ here, braking is OK. However, if you ride your brake pedal all the way down the hill, your brakes heat up and they can fade or just fail completely at the bottom. You should downshift to a lower gear and use engine compression to slow the vehicle down on a hill until you get to the bottom where you won't pick up speed after you take your foot off of the brake pedal.

However, I think Sid was just expressing typical teenage driver annoyance at people who are using a bit caution on the road when it is warranted. I agree, hills are fun for sure but use of discretion is not always a bad thing.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2007
    m00npie wrote: »
    2 things really piss me off...

1.) The left hand lane is for passing.... for some reason, some folks in Maryland don't seem to get this. I see people all the time merging onto 270, 495 & 95 cutting people off just to get to the left lane to drive slow. AAAAAHHHH!

Annoying, yes. However, Maryland is one of the few states which does not specify. Most states actually state (and have laws concerning) the left lane is to be used while passing. Not in MD. They actually say either lane can be used. We drive and pass wherever the hell we feel like it. :D
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Jstas
    edited June 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    People who stop before turning right where there's no stop sign or traffic light.

Well, for one thing, an intersection with no traffic signals or signs is uncontrolled and in NJ and PA, the law requires all directions at an uncontrolled intersection to stop and make sure traffic is clear. If there is a controlled intersection and your direction does not have the control then, I agree with you, that is aggravating. I'm all for safe driving but there is a point where excessive safety and caution exercised becomes a danger and liability.

• PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited June 2007
    I despise the people that come to a complete stop and wait for traffic to clear when at a right turn where there is no stop or yield because after you turn you have a new lane all to yourself with a solid white line next to it indicating your right of way.
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited June 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Correct. Absolute dick move.

There's an off-ramp on my way to work that is famous for people doing this, despite the fact that it REALLY messes wtih traffic. Every once in a blue moon a cop sits there and bags everyone who tries to sneak in. The cop is there rarely enough that people don't worry about him, and it just warms the cockles of my heart to see inconsiderate selfish **** get pulled over.

yep...one Friday we had cops pulling people over left and right...

in fact one of my co-workers got caught..:D
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited June 2007
    madmax wrote: »
    Annoying, yes. However, Maryland is one of the few states which does not specify. Most states actually state (and have laws concerning) the left lane is to be used while passing. Not in MD. They actually say either lane can be used. We drive and pass wherever the hell we feel like it. :D
    madmax

Damn it, so it is true... I used to fight with my room mate in college all the time about this and he told me the same line... I told him he was full of **** :o
  • jdhdiggs
    edited June 2007
    Jstas wrote: »
    Well, for one thing, an intersection with no traffic signals or signs is uncontrolled and in NJ and PA, the law requires all directions at an uncontrolled intersection to stop and make sure traffic is clear. If there is a controlled intersection and your direction does not have the control then, I agree with you, that is aggravating. I'm all for safe driving but there is a point where excessive safety and caution exercised becomes a danger and liability.

Yeah, I'm talking more of the driving on a 2 lane divided main road and this guy is pulling off to a small side road or parking lot. GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY!!! Numbnuts! (These are the people that will also stop to turn right at a green light)
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited June 2007
    I could go forever with this thread, but I'll keep my whining to a minimum:)

1. People going under the speed limit in the fast lane(or more annoying, two people going under the speed limit in both lanes).

2. Someone hurries up to pull out, they cut you off, then go 10 miles under the speed limit.:mad:

3. When merging on to a highway and the roads aren't jammed. You should use the ramp to go the same speed as drivers on the highway to make an easy merge. Instead, they go half the speed limit to the yield sign then have to stop.

4. speaking of yield signs, YIELD SIGNS DON'T MEAN STOP!:rolleyes:

I never use my cell phone while driving expect maybe for a minute or two. Its hard enough driving with an auto, its almost impossible talking on a phone on a curvy road with a stick...

I can't count how many times I got forced off the road by a person talking on the phone and they don't even realize they almost killed you...
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited June 2007
    A$$hole teenagers who like to do burnouts in their beat **** Civics at 1:30AM in front of my house, then proceed to do hot laps around my block until they end up in the backyard directly across the street from me because they can't take a corner at 80MPH...After talking to them in a nice tone, I was told "ef of old man"....I'm 24. IT took a lot of self control not to snatch his **** out of the driver's seat....Much to his dismay, he blew a tire 2 "laps" later...Not to say I didn't drive like a dipshit when I was 16, but I sure as hell never did that...
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,571
    edited June 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    So... you think people should speed in the rain?

Don't they teach you kids things about hydroplaning and hazardous road conditions anymore?

Speed limit is fine in the rain --- only time you should consider going below the speed limit is if you cant see infront of you because of the rain.

If you cant drive the speed limit in the rain - normal everyday rain - you shouldnt drive. You are a hazard to the road. Thats my opinion.

As for going down hill -- what goes downhill must go uphill... if you go 10 mph faster down hill -- coast it up the hill... use less gas and you slow back down... hmm
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited June 2007
    It's called a "speed limit" for a reason Sid... Did you know a cop can give you a ticket for driving at, or under, the speed limit in bad weather? Although I will say in most circumstances, most speed limits are dumb.
  • VR3
    edited June 2007
    Well I dunno - in the rain... if I can keep my hydroplaning tank on the road - someone in a honda civic that 6" from the ground, front wheel drive going the same speed surely can to.

I've been sideways in my truck before during a left turn going jogging speeds - if that. Hydroplaning SUCKS.

I need new tires - I got 3 year old tires... they SLICK
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2007
    Technically (yes I know this is not really the case), the speed limit is supposed to be the maximum safe speed in dry conditions. So... shouldn't the maximum safe speed in WET conditions be significantly less? Also, I don't think the guideline they go by is "can I keep my car on the road".

As for going downhill, it depends on the hill. Some people don't like speeding at all, so if they're going th espeed limit, and start gaining speed downhill, they're going to brake.... I don't think it's that much of a stretch to understand. In most cases, on a small hill, just letting off the gas is sufficient, an das Jstas said, on a big hill laying on your brakes for extended times can cause major damage or brake failure. But on a moderate hill, I just don't see the big deal.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • VR3
    edited June 2007
    Just pet peeves...

Normally the people braking downhill are the ones that go 45 in a 45 on a highway and 45 in a 35 in the city.

I want to get out and beat them with a pole -- if you are going to speed.. speed everywhere... and if you are going to go the speed limit - go the speed limit everywhere.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited June 2007
    Just pet peeves...

Normally the people braking downhill are the ones that go 45 in a 45 on a highway and 45 in a 35 in the city.

I want to get out and beat them with a pole -- if you are going to speed.. speed everywhere... and if you are going to go the speed limit - go the speed limit everywhere.

Ok, I'll agree with you there. Usually speeding in a 15/25/35 is much MUCH more dangerous than speeding in a 45/55/65/75 type zones. If your going to break the lower ones and not the higher ones, well, eff off.
  • Jstas
    edited June 2007
    Or how about the idea of don't speed at all?

Justification of one wrong through another wrong just doesn't follow any kind of logic at all. Wrong is wrong, doesn't matter how consistent that wrongness is, it's still wrong.

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2007
    Just about everything in this thread pisses me off. If I get on the job, I'll make whatever county I work for very wealthy. :D
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2007
    hmm... i have to say cellphones, obviously... most of the other stuff listed, too

my take on the 2-to-1 lane merge... there's a section of road that's under construction near me... it's a two-lane road, no turns or ramps or anything, and people will merge a half mile before the merge point, when there are signs stating "please use both lanes to the merge point"... these are the same people that will nearly rear-end the guy in front of them to prevent you from merging at the merge point...

another one i've never personally experienced... my roommate is from california, and he says people there will, in heavy traffic, use the berm on a highway to line up for an off-ramp... this seemed to be a good idea until i thought about an ambulance... that is, after all, the point of the berm lane, right? to provide for emergency vehicles? it took me almost half an hour to convince him that five minutes' worth of impatience on the part of these drivers was not worth the death of the person waiting for the ambulance that they're blocking...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • irishaz
    irishaz Posts: 161
    edited June 2007
    Most of my pet peeves have been covered earlier, but I do think that 4-way stops truly demonstrate how idiotic most drivers are. So many drivers just pull up to the stop sign and then lose their mind - should I go? Should I let them go? And then...30 seconds later, everybody goes at once.

My other issue is people that speed through residential areas. Granted, kids shouldn't be in the street, but people shouldn't be doing 50 mph in a residential area loaded with kids. Last summer, my best friend's little boy was about 6 inches from death because some moron was flying down our street. Scary stuff.
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited June 2007
    regarding jerks... driving habits can tell you a lot about how well people make life decisions. some people are just selfish, irresponsible and habitually angry that other people are even on the road. they often wreck their cars, can't get ahead financially and can't understand why their life is so miserable. if you're a jerk in the car, then you're likely a jerk at the house, and a pretty sad soul to boot. driving is a give and take situation with lots of social implications... just look at this thread. and people that try to take, take, take, are usually frustrated with relationships because they don't know how to give. most of these folks were probably spoiled growing up, which always leads to being unsatisfied and thus trying to step on everyone to get what they want... to be first in line. just my opinion from years of observations.
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,621
    edited June 2007
    Aside from the oblivious cell phone idiots, people who can't drive the posted speed limit and especially people who can't drive the speed limit and actually slow down further if you get within 50 feet of them drive me nuts.
  • Jstas
    edited June 2007
    Bamadude wrote: »
    regarding jerks... driving habits can tell you a lot about how well people make life decisions. some people are just selfish, irresponsible and habitually angry that other people are even on the road. they often wreck their cars, can't get ahead financially and can't understand why their life is so miserable. if you're a jerk in the car, then you're likely a jerk at the house, and a pretty sad soul to boot. driving is a give and take situation with lots of social implications... just look at this thread. and people that try to take, take, take, are usually frustrated with relationships because they don't know how to give. most of these folks were probably spoiled growing up, which always leads to being unsatisfied and thus trying to step on everyone to get what they want... to be first in line. just my opinion from years of observations.

That's a pretty broad and strong generalization there, especially when things like this:

http://www.livescience.com/health/060605_anger.html

are factored in.

Also, just because someone is driving aggressively does not mean they are road raging. They may have something going on that you don't know about like say, 10 minutes before they encountered you, they got a call from the police saying their spouse was critically injured in an accident and they needed to get to the hospital.

Also, just because someone road rages, it doesn't make them miserable and unliked in life or incapable of being successful. I'd like to see some of your evidence that backs up your fairly outlandish statements there especially regarding the frequency of accidents in regard to financial prosperity and success in having a happy and constructive family life at home.

You honestly can't determine much about person by driving habits alone. Just like you can't determine much about a person by way of the Internet.

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited June 2007
    Okay I've read all of these posts. Everything that pisses me off while driving has been covered here.

Can someone please tell me how all of the people above have these same feelings but there are dickheads out there that still do this ****?

Also in PA you have two miles to complete a passing move from the left lane. If you don't you can be ticketed whether you are from Maryland or not! BTW Delaware drivers are just as guilty as Maryland drivers and of late all the traveling I've been doing on I 95 to and from Philly so are NY drivers.

I was hesistant to get my auto tags changed from PA to Delaware because everytime I would see a Delaware plate, my thought would immediately go to DICKHEAD! Now I have a Delaware plate jeezzzzz.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited June 2007
    Females putting on makeup while driving behind Ricardo :D
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited June 2007
    did you even notice that i started with "regarding JERKS". i'm not talking about emergencies. i'm not talking about the occasional offender. i AM talking about JERKS who have a pattern of selfish behavior that began before they even started driving. everyone has witnessed this first hand at some point. i'm not saying anyone who has a bad day falls into this category, but rather that selfish spoiled brats OFTEN make bad drivers. and you can make clinical excuses all day long, but when it comes down to it there is no excuse for this kind of behavior. so don't hear what i'm not saying. and like i said, it's just an opinion so you can take it or leave it.
    Jstas wrote: »
    That's a pretty broad and strong generalization there, especially when things like this:

http://www.livescience.com/health/060605_anger.html

are factored in.

Also, just because someone is driving aggressively does not mean they are road raging. They may have something going on that you don't know about like say, 10 minutes before they encountered you, they got a call from the police saying their spouse was critically injured in an accident and they needed to get to the hospital.

Also, just because someone road rages, it doesn't make them miserable and unliked in life or incapable of being successful. I'd like to see some of your evidence that backs up your fairly outlandish statements there especially regarding the frequency of accidents in regard to financial prosperity and success in having a happy and constructive family life at home.

You honestly can't determine much about person by driving habits alone. Just like you can't determine much about a person by way of the Internet.
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited June 2007
    Anyone on a crotch rocket.
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited June 2007
    Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way and everything will be okay. ;)