Options
13»

Comments

• Janne
    Janne Posts: 139
    edited June 2007
    Options
    HTrookie wrote: »
    I've had a pair of 1.2's and a pair of 3.1's; strange that yours do not have that resistor; maybe a previous owner messed with them; I know Polk has had different variations in crossovers in some of their vintage products, but I don't think this is the case with the 1.2TL's. Just put in everything that you bought (as in the schematics)

I bought them from the Polk dealer Feb-92. I can see on the PCB that there was never anything installed. There is no tin in the place where the 22.5 should be. Just look at the first pic I posted.
    HT/2 CH
    McIntosh MX120, MC500, MC206, MEN220
    polkaudio SDA SRS 1.2TL, XO, Inductor, Tweeter, Larry's rings, WBT Binding posts, Moretite and Dynamat mod. Built by Mollie Jones 27:th of February 1991, CS350-LS XO mod, LS-f/x, DSW MicroPro 4000
    MIT Shotgun S3.3 Bi-wire SC, Shotgun S3.3 SC, Shotgun S3.3 Proline IC, Shotgun S3.3 IC, Shotgun S3.3 Sub cable, AVT 1 Optical IC, EXP 3 Speaker interconnect.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,864
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Things that make you go Hmmmmmmm???

I'd put them back together per the schematic. Also, if you're not keeping the silver mica's, which I wouldn't, you'll need to change a few connections. Put the top lead (closest to P3) of C5 (12uF) in the top hole for C5 instead of the hole for P3. Then, put a jumper from R2 to to P3 to complete the circuit.

You're going to have a very different sound when you finish these.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Janne
    edited June 2007
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Things that make you go Hmmmmmmm???

I'd put them back together per the schematic. Also, if you're not keeping the silver mica's, which I wouldn't, you'll need to change a few connections. Put the top lead (closest to P3) of C5 (12uF) in the top hole for C5 instead of the hole for P3. Then, put a jumper from R2 to to P3 to complete the circuit.

You're going to have a very different sound when you finish these.

I just realize that I have had them for 15 years with XOs that were built during tequila night :eek:

I will give it a shot with the platinums I bought and then try without.
    HT/2 CH
    polkaudio SDA SRS 1.2TL, XO, Inductor, Tweeter, Larry's rings, WBT Binding posts, Moretite and Dynamat mod. Built by Mollie Jones 27:th of February 1991, CS350-LS XO mod, LS-f/x, DSW MicroPro 4000
    MIT Shotgun S3.3 Bi-wire SC, Shotgun S3.3 SC, Shotgun S3.3 Proline IC, Shotgun S3.3 IC, Shotgun S3.3 Sub cable, AVT 1 Optical IC, EXP 3 Speaker interconnect.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Janne wrote: »
    I just realize that I have had them for 15 years with XOs that were built during tequila night :eek:

I will give it a shot with the platinums I bought and then try without.

F1Nut's description is exactly how we did mine and they sound incredible!!! They have a completely different and life like tone than before the upgrade.
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited June 2007
    Options
    This thread is just plain good reading! I am cracking up reading about the "tequila nights" during the crossover work! You never know what you're going to find on the inside of anything, really. Kind of like my 1C's having the SL3000 tweeters in them "from the dealer" with a pair of 7.5ohm resistors soldered on. And I got them from the original owner with the receipt too! He said he had never opened them up and had no desire to know what was inside of them! How funny.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • Janne
    edited June 2007
    Options
    I dont know where to start :eek: ..................... and this will be better after some 3-400 hours :confused: ...................I better go to bed I must still be dreaming.................
    HT/2 CH
  • F1nut
    edited June 2007
    Options
    I take it that you're pleased.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hearingimpared
    edited June 2007
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I take it that you're pleased.

That's the way I read it too!:rolleyes: Those caps look like they cost plenty.:eek:
  • Janne
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Thank you all for the help in getting these babies in shape again. I would never have been able to do it without you. I am stunned at the difference. Unfortunately my reference point was a little off from what it should have been. :rolleyes: The left channel watt meter has always been showing slightly less power and the left speaker sounded as one of the tweeters were missing. Well adding the 22 ohms resistors and putting in the 2.7 in its place took care of that problem. Now the balance is perfect.

I was expecting an initial degradation and then improvement after the burn in period. However to me this is already amazing. There is so much more detail. Tones I never heard before. The most spectacular change is in the higher range. Earlier I always had to give the treble a boost to get it to sound ok. Haha and these speakers have stunned people for 15 years....eh including me, with defective XOs :D I will call Johnny Cochran and sue the pants of Polk. If they dont pay up we will play the "Resistor card":D

Agaist everybodys advice this stubborn **** installed the Platinums. I know you all will say "we told you so" when I take them off. However I need a reference point to go from. This is the first time all components are in place:rolleyes: . You all now what the original sounded like while I have been listening to a Polkswagen running on three cylinders.

Enjoy the weekend. I am off to Thailand for some golf.

Edit:
    I am dropping my lawsuit as my lawyer obviously is dead. Thank you F1nut for destroying my dreams of Billions of dollars in settlement. :mad:
    HT/2 CH
  • F1nut
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Excellent!!!

BTW, the cockroach is dead.

President of Club Polk

• hearingimpared
    edited June 2007
    Options
    After burnin then tell us how they sound. After mine burned in for over 340 hours they sounded magnificent. When I spoke to a fellow Polkie about it he told me that they will likely change sound again maybe even worse for a while. . . .well everything he told me has come to pass. First they sounded incredible, then they sounded like **** again and now I am waiting for them to settle in again. Caps, go figure, they too get PMS.