I Hate F1nut!!!

hearingimpared
hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
. . . because now I have to figure out where I'm going to get a few, four or five thousand dollars to purchase a Tri-Vista integrated, hybrid amp and a friggin Tri-Vista CD/SACD player. I hope my audio memory fails me soon cause if it doesn't my rig will never sound good!!!

WOW how totally natural his rig produced the sounds of instruments. I put on Jazz at the Pawnshop, "Lady Be Good" and was completely drawn in to the sound of the sax. I couldn't get over how much of that rich, sexy tone of a saxophone, this recording actually had until I heard it on Jesse's rig, and I've been listening to it since the early 80s. Every piece of music played, it sounded to me like I was hearing the instruments being played right in the room. . . not reproduced, actually there and all about the tone of the instruments!

I now know what a great digital front end can do. Every recording that I was familiar with that he played, e.g. Traffic's "Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys," I heard aspects of the music that I never heard before, for instance, Steve Winwood's clapping in rythym and the bongos throughout the song. It was like this with everything he played. Dire Straits BIA "Money For Nothin". . . very loud, FRIGGIN AWESOME!!! The really neat thing was that no matter how loud the volume there never was any fatigue or thinning of the music. . . no distortion, no brightness just silky, rich, harmonic, music. . . I had goose bumps.

I spent the day and most of the night at Jesse's yesterday. We upgraded the crossovers and binding posts of my 1.2tls. I had a blast, although I think Jesse was ready to break things by the time we were done. A whole lot of work this was!!!! I actually enjoyed it however because it helped me to break the ice to get the balls to start DIYing again.

Thank goodness the he invited me over to his place to do the upgrades in that I would have completely effed them up myself and would have been without the 1.2TLs for months.

WOW! We listened to some favorites on his office rig. . . I think I see tubes in my immediate future.

I took a ton of pictures of the crossover & binding post upgrade process but I'm going start a separate thread in the DIY category.

THANKS JESS for the upgrades and hospitality. I don't know whether to thank you or curse you out for letting me hear your rig!!!:D

BTW I couldn't wait for the burn-in period to elaspe so I played some music on my rig. . . BAD EFFING MOVE!!! it sounded like ****, bright, and I actually hurt my ears because of the brightness. . . I have it running with the CD player on repeat playing burn-in music. Eight days I have to wait arguuuuuhhhhh!!!! I know it will be worth the wait though.

Well Jesse is a stand up guy and is an awesome and fun guy as well as a really good friend.
Post edited by hearingimpared on

Comments

• Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited June 2007
    Wow Joe sounds like an awsome time. I'm glad you got the crossovers done. Cant wait to hear them next time i come down. Sucks that you have to wait 8 days to listen again.
  • hearingimpared
    edited June 2007
    Fireman32 wrote: »
    Wow Joe sounds like an awsome time. I'm glad you got the crossovers done. Cant wait to hear them next time i come down. Sucks that you have to wait 8 days to listen again.

Yeah man my ears are actually hurting like I was sitting in front of a speaker at a rock concert!@ I did have the volume up way too loud though.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited June 2007
    You mean Jesse's not an old cranky ****?
    Are you telling us he's...um.....NICE???

I'll be damned...:)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • hearingimpared
    edited June 2007
    tonyb wrote: »
    You mean Jesse's not an old cranky ****?

I hope his isn't old, he's younger than me.

Are you telling us he's...um.....NICE???

I'll be damned...:)

Nope, I'm not gonna be the one to dispel the myth!:p
  • hearingimpared
    edited June 2007
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Joe, you should watch what you say, everyone's going to want to go to Jesse's house to listen to his system now. I sure do want to!

Sal

Stay away or else you'll be scrambling to gather mucho mulla!!!
  • tonyb
    edited June 2007
    Used MF stuff is fairly reasonable.Always liked their stuff,not to mention they are friggin beautifull to stare at all day.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited June 2007
    Sounds like you had a great time there Joe. I am looking forward to hearing that rig myself.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • tonyb
    edited June 2007
    Joe got a tube woody..........Ya hear the difference big guy? Not real major,but gives the misical notes alot of air around it,more real.Glad you had a good time,also glad to see Jesse isn't the Wizzard of OZ.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited June 2007
    Get the credit card ready Joe, it sounds like you're ready to partake on a new journey. Sounds like you guys had a great time. I'll have to get down there myself. It never ends does it!!!:eek:
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited June 2007
    Yay, I got an MF integrated already :)

Boo, it's not the Tri Vista integrated :(
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • hearingimpared
    edited June 2007
    Not real major,but gives the misical notes alot of air around it,more real.

Not real major. . . however the more I listened the more the differences became night and day. You are right a lot of air and a completely different sound, not just warmth but a rich harmonic sound. My rig today sounded sterile compared to the Tri-Vista but then again the caps need to break in.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited June 2007
    Once you go with tubes there is no turning back.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,437
    edited June 2007
    I had a nice time and really enjoyed our audio discussions....the war stories too. :D

Yeah, the crossover/binding post stuff was getting to my eyes. It really is alot of effing work. I look forward to your impressions after things settle in, I think you'll be pleased.

Joe's a solid guy in my book, very knowledgeable and is welcome here any time.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hearingimpared
    edited June 2007
    F1nut wrote: »
    I had a nice time and really enjoyed our audio discussions....the war stories too. :D

The war stories were great, we probably could spend 4 hours exchanging war stories and not repeat a one!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2007
    Two solid audio junkies hanging out and diggin' some tunes. It doesn't get a whole lot better friends.

Just think Joe, if it sounded THAT good now - imagine if Jesse had some REAL speakers. ;)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited June 2007
    You trader! I thought you were a sand man:D
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,437
    edited June 2007
    The war stories were great, we probably could spend 4 hours exchanging war stories and not repeat a one!

4 hours wouldn't scratch the surface.

Just ignore Russ, he's still pissed that he sold his SRS 2's. :D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited June 2007
    MF makes some wonderful stuff...
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited June 2007

Just ignore Russ, he's still pissed that he sold his SRS 2's. :D

waaaaaaaa aint it the truth, the truth, the truth, aint it the truth I tell ya.....he will always be a polkie though, wait he is an effin POLK EMPLOYEE.....well, Polk Paul once said at the meet, "geez, if we had not made such great speakers in the past we could sell alot more new ones now".;)

Glad you finally got some time on that rig Joe, it is indeed quite awesome, defenite jaw meet floor, hearing those tones. Gives you alot of insight on what Jesse and others are trying to say that just cannot come across our little virtual heaven here.

Looks like another sand man has filled his pail and left town, well, remember a sand amp and tubed pre can also be magic, Tony is right about the MF gear on the Gon, let richie rich be first, sloppy seconds are much better.

Damm, can't wait to see ALL you brohams.

RT1
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited June 2007
    Jesse is a great guy. I'll say it. I heard his system. God my wallet is a lot lighter;) When the kids get through college maybe I can venture to the next level. Sounds like you two had a great time.

JT
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited June 2007
    Sounds like a lot of fun guys! Jesse has helped many a soul here including myself many times.

I have not done 1.2 crossovers, but by the looks of them, I'm sure they are a lot of work. I'm anxious to see the pics of the crossovers. Did you by-pass any caps in the tweeter circuit? Did you pitch those polyswitches into the trash? Did you use all Sonicaps or did you cheat and use the Solens for the big mofos?? How about the binding posts? Cardas or Vampire?

Let's cut to the chase Joe, do you think a great vinyl source playing through that TriVista integrated would sound better than the TriVista SACD???:D Inquiring minds want to know! LOL!

Good on you Jesse for helping Joe and so many other members.
    Carl

• hearingimpared
    edited June 2007

You're so right, we could probably captivate an audience with our escapades!!!
  • hearingimpared
    edited June 2007
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Sounds like a lot of fun guys! Jesse has helped many a soul here including myself many times.

I have not done 1.2 crossovers, but by the looks of them, I'm sure they are a lot of work. I'm anxious to see the pics of the crossovers. Did you by-pass any caps in the tweeter circuit? Did you pitch those polyswitches into the trash?

Yep got rid of the two silver micas. . .put two straps on the board, one to bypass the polyswitch.

Did you use all Sonicaps or did you cheat and use the Solens for the big mofos?? How about the binding posts? Cardas or Vampire?

Sonic Caps all the way. . . Cardas posts all the way.
    Let's cut to the chase Joe, do you think a great vinyl source playing through that TriVista integrated would sound better than the TriVista SACD???:D Inquiring minds want to know! LOL!

I'll answer that question like this; If I had anything close to the Tri-Vista SACD player, I would have to get copies of everything available on SACD! Really I can't make that call cause I didn't hear an analog front end in the glorious sounding integrated amp. However, just the thought of analog coming through that Tri-Vista gives me a chubby!!!
    Good on you Jesse for helping Joe and so many other members.

Jesse's a good guy!
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited June 2007
    Joe, I was afraid you were going to say that Jesse gives you a chubby:eek:

Carl
    Carl

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2007
    If I had anything close to the Tri-Vista SACD player, I would have to get copies of everything available on SACD!

Kind of puts the 'Oppo' into perspective, don't it? ;)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • hearingimpared
    edited June 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Kind of puts the 'Oppo' into perspective, don't it? ;)

I couldn't have put it better myself.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2007
    [QUOTE=hearingimpared;647447
    WOW how totally natural his rig produced the sounds of instruments. I put on Jazz at the Pawnshop, "Lady Be Good" and was completely drawn in to the sound of the sax. I couldn't get over how much of that rich, sexy tone of a saxophone, this recording actually had until I heard it on Jesse's rig, and I've been listening to it since the early 80s. Every piece of music played, it sounded to me like I was hearing the instruments being played right in the room. . . not reproduced, actually there and all about the tone of the instruments!
    [/QUOTE]

Yep, I had the same experience when I heard his system. Talk about synergy! I think he was hiding the band behind the drapes or something... :D

There comes a point where you should just quit and enjoy the music. Only a few people I know are there. (I'm not one of them). I put this system at the top of that list.

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2007
    Agreed. For me, F1's system is sort of a high water mark.

Every time I hear his rig, I'm slightly disappointed in my SDA rig.

Jesse is every bit as opinionated in person as he is here but a better friend, you'd be hard pressed to find. Not many guys would CHEERFULLY let you barge in on at 2AM, listen to his rig, feed you a Denny's Grand Slam and send you on your way the next morning.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited June 2007
    It's just got this synergy and life to it. It really makes you pay attention and listen to the music.

Sometimes the squirrel's gotta get his nut...
  • tonyb
    edited June 2007
    TroyD wrote: »
    Agreed. For me, F1's system is sort of a high water mark.

Every time I hear his rig, I'm slightly disappointed in my SDA rig.

Jesse is every bit as opinionated in person as he is here but a better friend, you'd be hard pressed to find. Not many guys would CHEERFULLY let you barge in on at 2AM, listen to his rig, feed you a Denny's Grand Slam and send you on your way the next morning.

BDT

Wow..Jessie lives in a Denny's??:)

What else is in his rig?
    Someday,that MF stuff will be lookin' perdy in my casa.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's