How often do you workout?

tommyboy
tommyboy Posts: 1,414
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
There was a nice debate on diets a few weeks ago so I figured to look at the other side of the health spectrum. I know some would feel embarrassed on what they do but come lets here it...

About a year and a half ago, I was what you would call "skinny fat". I was 5'9 and about 145 lbs, but was extremely out of shape. My eating habits were absolutely terrible. I had no muscle and all my fat was in the belly and " chest" (what some would call man titties :p ). My friend pretty much forced me to join a gym to get into shape. My first month was very embarrasing... I could barely bench 95 lbs and curl 20...

I kept at though, I was going to the gym 4-5 times a week and start eating very healthy. At first, I lost about 10 lbs of fat. Its not really healthy weighing 135 at 5'9 but I got through it and now weigh around 155. I'm still not in the shape I want to be but still working hard to get my form.

So what about you guys... How many times a week do you TRULY exercise?
AVR: H/K AVR240
Fronts: Monitor 50s
Center: CSI3
surrounds: R15s
Sub:Velodyne DPS10
Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
game hardware: 360 and gcn.
Gamertag: kovster27
Post edited by tommyboy on

Comments

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited June 2007
    I work out about 4X a week with weights (upper twice/lower twice) and I run maybe about 20 -26 miles per week. Sometimes I run long slow distance for 6-7 miles and sometimes I do intervals covering 3 miles or so.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2007
    Depends what month it is.

I go in spurts, and can never keep myself motivated. I'll go through two months where I wake up every day and hit the exercise bike, and come home 3 nights a week and lift.

Then something comes up that breaks my schedule, and I can just never get back into it. Even missing two days due to random stuff that takes up my time seems to be enough to derail me. I don't understand it.

On the bright side, something as simple as reading a thread like this is enough to motivate me to get started up again, so, thanks! :)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited June 2007
    I can't really answer this as I don't go to a gym, but I workout 5 days a week at least as of January of this year.

MWF is above arms, shoulders and pecs while TuTh is legs and abs.

In the last 4 years my weight has fluctuated from 165-210, currently I am 200lbs give or take 2. Everyone thinks I am a skinny kid though, whenever I have them guess my weight it is usually around 170, go figure.

Jared
  • wingnut4772
    edited June 2007
    I don't go to the gym either. I have a Nautilus machine and some free weights in my home gym.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited June 2007
    Sit-ups and push-ups every morning. Maybe jog twice a week.
    About a year ago I was lean at 5'9" 127lbs, but am probably closer to 140 now.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • tommyboy
    edited June 2007
    Gaara wrote: »
    I can't really answer this as I don't go to a gym, but I workout 5 days a week at least as of January of this year.

MWF is above arms, shoulders and pecs while TuTh is legs and abs.

In the last 4 years my weight has fluctuated from 165-210, currently I am 200lbs give or take 2. Everyone thinks I am a skinny kid though, whenever I have them guess my weight it is usually around 170, go figure.

Jared

You don't have to work out a gym to answer. Now I really can't get motivated when I work out at home(Internet, phone, etc.), so actually going somewhere to work out makes me do it. but thats just me.

Keep at it:p
  • tommyboy
    edited June 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    On the bright side, something as simple as reading a thread like this is enough to motivate me to get started up again, so, thanks! :)

Your welcome:D

I was hoping this thread would motivate a few people to start up. Diet is only one step to become a healthy person.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited June 2007
    Trail running for me; 2-3 times per week I'll do a 3.5 mile loop. Other then that I try to find outdoor activities that'll get me some exercise. When it's warm I'll kayak, when it's too cold for the water I'll hike/backpack. The mountain bike's good for any season. Weightlifting's no good for me anymore, started real young (14 or 15) to get in shape/lose weight. My shoulders are toast now, too much heavy lifting too young without enough rest really took it's toll.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited June 2007
    5 times a week. I'm at 86kg (190lb), 5'10" and 12% fat, trying to get first number up and the latter down for the summer. It's been hard lately, not as easy as it was in the 20's. My worst times were around 32 years, not at 35 I'm getting back at it.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited June 2007
    I don't really go to a gym. I just do the usual push-ups and sit-ups and stuff. Usually about an hour to an hour and a half a day. I go from 5 to 7 days a week and no less than 5 days unless I'm taing a break or overly busy with work. I usually take a break for a week every two months or so.

Last weigh in at the doctor's was that I was 5 foot 7 and 180 pounds. The body fat test showed I had 12% at the time. That was about 4 months ago. I've been working on trying to get that down to around 6-8% and it's difficult. Between diet and exercise, it's slowly happening. I'm thinking that I'm around 175 pounds now with about 10% fat. If I spend a few more sweltering days at the track, I'll drop another 2% in flab in no time! Then I can put back some calories into my diet and maybe gain some muscle weight.

I mean, I'm not a gigantic guy but I have good definition and I defintly have strength. I have no idea how much I can bench press but I know I can hold a 120 pound T-5 in place for about 20 minutes before I end up dropping it on my face.

A few years ago, the married life got me pretty flabby at about 165 pounds. I started picking up extra work at thie diesel shop and stuff that was a cinch a few years before was killing me then. I decided I needed to get back in shape before I ended up getting hurt. I've been doing my regimen consistently for about a year and a half now. I weigh more than I ever have in my entire life but I feel great and I can fit into my pants with the 30 inch waist again! That was the biggest motivation, not having to buy a new wardrobe to accomodate my expansion in the equatorial regions.

Oh yeah, diet adjustments were simple. I didn't really change what I ate, my diet wasn't that bad. I just changed how much of it I ate. I even kept beer, just started trying light beers. Found Yuengling Light at 99 calories, the negative affects of beer are outweighed by it's benefits at that point and it's better for you than a few of those "health drinks" out there.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited June 2007
    I try to do something athletic 4 times a week. Usually, it ends up being basketball 2X a week (I'm in a couple leagues) and working out 2 times a week.

Seems to work pretty well for me. It allows me to keep most of the muscle I have left and stay in good shape, but I'm not nearly as strong as I was back in the college days when I hit the weights 4-5 times a week. Not enough time now with golf, wake boarding, audio, and 2 full time jobs (work and GF).

I usually work out with 185 - 225 on bench, and struggle with anything on the higher side. Used to be 225 - 275.

I am right at 6'0" and about 185 - 190 most days. DING
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • duksbak
    duksbak Posts: 134
    edited June 2007
    I dont work out, I am skinny enough as it is!
    I stay active throughout the day. I do alot of walking and yard work on my days off so I think thats exercise enough for me =)
    Television: Mitsubishi WD-57732
    Front R/L: Polkaudio RTiA7
    Center: Polkaudio CSiA4
    Rear R/L: Polkaudio FXiA4
    Subwoofer: Polkaudio DSW600
    A/V Reciever: Denon 2808
    DVD/SACD: Sony Playstation 3
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited June 2007
    I don't do much anymore.....It really hurts to run now, and walking a decent distance is something I pay for later....Hitting the Gym has never appealed to me, there are way too many muscle-bound dickheads around here, and anyone who isn't pounding pills and protein isn't "serious about their fitness"....I like to get out and ride a bike, but all of my recreational bikes are in MN...All I have here is a dirt jumper, which is really uncomfortable to actually ride...Hopefully I can get back to MN over the July 4th holiday weekend to get my bikes that I can actually ride...The sorry part is that after I stopped doing Army "PT", I lost weight and actually can lift more when I feel so inclined...What does that say?:confused:

BodyOfAGod_Fullpic_1.gif
  • Schwingding
    Schwingding Posts: 363
    edited June 2007
    You need a few more choices in your poll.

I "work out" for at least 2 hours per day, and between 6 and 8 hours each weekend day. I never go to the gym, however, except in the dark of winter.

Here's me picking up an award at a triathlon this past weekend. I came in 10th out of 420 people.

iwon.jpg
    HT/music rig
    Panasonic PX60U 50" plasma
    Yamaha 5990 AVR
    Onix SP3 tube amp
    bunch of Outlaw 2200 monoblocks
    DUAL SVS PB12+/2 subs :eek:
    Denon 3910 DVD/SACD/DVD-A
    DirecTV HR10-250 DVR
    Onix Strata Mini mains
    Mirage OM10 surrounds
    Polk CSi5 center
    Polk SC80 rear surrounds
    Samsung BDP1000 blu-ray player

Bedroom rig
    Jolida SJ302a tube amp
    Denon 2910 universal player
    Onix Ref 1 monitors
    Velodyne minivee
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited June 2007
    I joined a gym last week and have no choice but to go atleast 5 times a week....im tired of being the fat kid. :(
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited June 2007
    I run to the fridge for a beer, repeating this 6-8 times a night. Seriously though, I'm fortunate that 15 years in the Army (and a high metabolism) has kept me in shape---even 10 years later. At 45, I'm 5'11" and 170lbs. I do hike pretty often, and swim almost nightly during the summer. My job is pretty physical as I work in a warehouse and do alot of heavy lifting, moving, etc.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited June 2007
    I need to start working out. In the past few months i've put on alot of weight. I want to get a bike this summer and ride around town everyday.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited June 2007
    My job is pretty physical as I work in a warehouse and do alot of heavy lifting, moving, etc.

For just three months, after my freshman year of college, my summer job was to do all the displays at Home Depots, Lowe's, etc. through most of Texas for PrimeSource nails and screws. So, basically I was lifting and moving 20-50lb boxes of nails all day long. And, I got to expense all my meals, so I was eating like a fiend.

I think I put on 20 lbs of muscle that summer. Warehouse work will get you strong as hell.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited June 2007
    Good thread!

Exercise is so important! I love it! I have my own gym that I’ve built up over the years in my basement (Can’t afford a membership), and lift 3 times a week, and run just over 2 miles 3 times a week to stay fit. I am not a huge guy, 6ft with shoes, and range between 200 and 211lbs... but weights have been a part of my life since I was very very little. My grandpa holds almost every single record in weight lifting in the state of California and his gene's were passed on a little to me. He was pretty impressive in his day! He's 76 now, and still puts up 225 bench.

I also include boxing in my workouts. The heavy bag really gives me a great work out, one that I feel for a day or two. Sparring really is terrific exercise as well, although you should only do it with a professional trainer to spot you... I’m still only an amateur boxer, but have enjoyed added that to my work out routine.

I still have about 5 to 7 lbs of fat around my gut that I’m trying to burn off. I put it on after I got married, and man, if you don’t stay on top of it, it’ll get the better of you. After a good run, with sprints in the middle, you feel so refreshed, it’s just great.
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2007
    Let me ask those of you that do work out - when do you find it best to do it?

Ideally, I LIKE to work out in the morning. I feel like I have a lot more energy on days I wake up and work out. But it's also harder to find motivation to work out in the morning, or time if you don't wake up early enough.

Working out after work isa ****. I don't get home until after 6 most days. So even if I get home and immediately start working out, I'm not done till after 7, and then I still have to fix dinner. And I can't work out after dinner unless I want to throw up (or wait until 9pm or something).

I guess scheduling is my biggest pain. If I lived closer to work maybe it would be easier.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • wingnut4772
    edited June 2007
    First thing in the morning.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited June 2007
    I haven't been working out for a while due to a leg injury, but when I do, I try to work out 4-5 times a week for 40-60 minutes a day.

It helps to have our own workout room too (eliptical trainer, treadmill, Weider Crossbow weight machine).

Soccer coaching is coming up a couple of months, So I jumped back on the stuff to try to get some weight off before I go out and reinjure my leg again.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited June 2007
    I do it when everyone says it's the worst time. Usually about an hour or two before I go to bed. I like doing it the because when I'm finished, I'm relaxed. Also, the 6-8 hours of sleep helps your body heal and rebuild itself. I find that associated pain from a workout is easier to take in the morning. That's me though. The best times are different for each person.

I like my workout because I don't need a room or a gym to do it and I don't even have to leave the house. I can do it in front of the TV and watch a favorite show, the news or some kind of sporting event. I pick an hour show or a block of shows and just do my thing while I watch. By the time the show is done, I'm all good and it went by quickly. I also didn't blow a ton of time focusing solely on the workout. I watched a show I wanted to watch too. My cardio is an exercise bike so I can sit infront of the TV on that deal too!

Multi-tasking baby! That's where it's at!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • sophie
    sophie Posts: 511
    edited June 2007
    never go to the gym but i run 25+ miles a week trying to get in shape for Xc

edit: after reading this... i am 5' 10" and 112lb's. and eat candy all day long. just started my summer job today and i have to move computers and monitors all day long from school to school. and the big monitors and some of the old mac monitor+computer are really heavy. well not really but when your a small kid and you have to carry a 21" crt monitor threw a school you get tired in a hurry.
    Polk monitor 10B's and 5 jr's
    Adcom gfa 5500 and HK/240
    Adcom gtp 400
    Adcom gcp 600
    MusicHall MMF 2.1 TT
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited June 2007
    I workout in my basement in the morning. On weight days I wake up and have breakfeast and an hour later eat a protein bar. I workout an hour after having the bar. I try and stay well hydrated and drink water heavily from when I wake up until when I work out.

On days when I jog I have breakfeast when I wake up and two hours later I have a light snack with protein and complex carbs. I go jogging an hour after the snack. I over hydrate from when I wake up until I go jogging, and then drink after finishing and while doing my ab routine.
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited June 2007
    The hard part is consistency. Pushups, situps, pullups, cycling, elliptical for 3 months then I fade away for 3 months.

Rinse. Repeat.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited June 2007
    When the remote doesn't work.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • tommyboy
    edited June 2007
    The hard part is consistency. Pushups, situps, pullups, cycling, elliptical for 3 months then I fade away for 3 months.

Rinse. Repeat.

The best advice I can give you is to workout with someone. Either pay for a trainer or have a friend that is as willing to workout as you are. At least I workout better and actually show up when I workout with someone, but maybe thats just me.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2007
    I'm just like fatchowmein. I'll work out for a while, then take off for twice as long. However, I've also never worked out very intensely. This past fall when I had a fitness class at school and we went to the Y to work out was the hardest I've ever gone at it. The rest of the time I just make do with dumbells and weights that I have at home. Usually just do some curls, shoulder shurgs, squats, pushups, and maybe some bench presses; you know, the fun stuff. Then every once in a blue moon I'll do some tricep extensions and situps. I really really need to work on my abs.

This morning I got back at it again after being away since the turn of the year. Added some weight to them so they're now at 41lbs. I cranked out some curls and then went to situps. I always put my feet under my dumbells to keep my legs down, and cranking them out to Journey blasting, I only got out 27 for it was quits. Like I said, I really need to work on my abs.

I did some pushups (using my triceps) and shoulder shrugs, and then jogged on the treadmill. Cardio is another area I'm lacking. So I jogged at 4.2mph and at a 7 (out of 10) incline for 20 minutes, then cooled off for four.

Anyhoo, I don't really look out of shape, as I'm 6'2" - 6'3" and weigh 178.6 (as of this morning). But I would really like to lose a good bit of fat, put on a lot of muscle, and really strengthen my cardio-respiratory system. Yeah, that's all I want to do. :rolleyes:
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited June 2007
    I try to ride my bike at least 3 times a week, at least an hour and a half each time. Then for upper body it's any thing like 3-7 days a week and intervals of at least a half hour up 2 and a half hours it a "special, varied work out routine" that my wife and wife practice.