Plasma vs. LCD expertise needed

2»

Comments

• Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited June 2007
    interesting, how come?
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited June 2007
    Bamadude wrote: »
    interesting, how come?

DLP and LCD's have a fan in the back that sucks in the air to keep the bulb cool,and it also sucks in smoke from cigars,cigarettes,fireplaces,etc. The result is blotches or spots on the screen.When I had tweeter come and take mine apart,you would not believe the soot on the inards of my LCD.1800.00 smackers to replace the engine,but the dude was cool and wrote it up in a way that my warrenty covered it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited June 2007
    that's good to know. you certainly got lucky on the warranty work.

i may be mistaken but i think only projection sets (LCD, DLP...) have a fan. i think flat panel LCD is cooled passively. this isn't to say putting a flat panel over a wood burning fireplace is a great idea because i could imagine soot getting in there even without the fan. who knows?
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited June 2007
    Yes,your right,even without the fan,they still have vents to let heat out,but still lets soot in.Gas fireplaces are more friendly to flat panels.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable