Plasma vs. LCD expertise needed

markmarc
markmarc Posts: 2,309
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
Looks after 17 years my RCA ColorTrak 2000 TV is going to get replaced. Can anyone give me the lowdown on the differences between the two technologies and if the price difference is worth investing in Plasma?
Thanks
Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
Former Staff Member TONEAudio
2 Ch. System
Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
Post edited by markmarc on

Comments

• MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited June 2007
    In

JimBRICK!!:)
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited June 2007
    21 years with the same CRT and plonking my way through the 3rd warning of HDTV upgraditis. Dibs on your rabbit ears. :D
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited June 2007
    If what you're aiming for is less than ~46 inches, you probably want an LCD. If you've got a bright room, you want an LCD. If it's a dark room, plasma will look better, but to varying degrees all the bad things you've heard about plasma are still true. Research the model and brand extensively for QC issues if you're thinking about plasma.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,711
    edited June 2007
    Mark,
    Really depends what type of size you are looking at, and what your viewing room/habits are.
    In a nutshell:
    Plasma has a more lifelike picture, better colors, deeper blacks, but is somewhat susceptible to burn-in (although this problem is greatly exaggerated). Also plasmas can be somewhat reflective if you have a bright window or lights. I prefer plasma and have a Panasonic 42px600u in our bedroom.

LCD has no risk of burn in, is usually brighter (if your room can't be dimmed), generally are much less reflective, but they still can't produce true blacks, and I feel they have less true color reproduction. LCDs can be sharper though, especially if you compare a newer 1080p LCD to a Plasma that is 1024x768 (42" size).

You should also know that there are currently no plasmas smaller than 42". If you need smaller, LCD is your only choice.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited June 2007
    mark,

Please take a look at the similar threads at the bottom of this page. There is a **** load of info you can use. Just try to ignore jimbricks comments about how plasma are the "dinasours of tvs":rolleyes:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49329&highlight=plasma Heres one thats not below
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited June 2007
    Bill & UNC:
    No larger than a 42 in. It is going to be placed on our mantle (4 in thick cedar beam that is 8 in. deep pic attached). The room won't get too bright as the window and french doors face north. However, after owning the Colortrak 2000 I do notice black level.
    fr.jpg 214.8K
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • billbillw
    edited June 2007
    I'd personally go with the largest you can get on that mantle. In a 42" size, you looking at several plasmas, of which I'd say Panasonic is your only choice, unless you want to spend significantly more for a Pioneer. They have a few different models in that size currently available. The current Panasonics (unless you are looking at the 1080p models) are the same glass as last years models, so any review of the PX60u or 600u models should apply.

In LCD, I'd recommend Sharp Aquos or Sony XBR.
  • unc2701
    edited June 2007
    billbillw wrote: »
    I'd personally go with the largest you can get on that mantle. In a 42" size, you looking at several plasmas, of which I'd say Panasonic is your only choice, unless you want to spend significantly more for a Pioneer. They have a few different models in that size currently available. The current Panasonics (unless you are looking at the 1080p models) are the same glass as last years models, so any review of the PX60u or 600u models should apply.

In LCD, I'd recommend Sharp Aquos or Sony XBR.

+1 on all that, but add samsung to the LCD list. Their panels come from the same factory as the sony XBR, but cost less. It looks like the room is dark enough for a plasma, but you'll find a lot of LCD's in the right size range. I don't know of any 1080p plasmas in the 42" size, so if you're going 1080p, you might be stuck w/ LCD
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited June 2007
    the new bravia looks wild KDL46XBR3

I also have new respect for this years panasonic plasma, Not a fan of the reflection tho.

Also we have a samsung HLT5687S on our floor and it has a beautiful clear as day picture. it uses the new LED bulb, I'm not a big fan of dlp though too many things to go wrong.

check out this tv. its not a flat panel but IMHO is the only tv I'd buy right now sony sxrd KDS55A2020. it comes in a ton of sizes and the picture is WILD
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • billbillw
    edited June 2007
    unc2701 wrote: »
    +1 on all that, but add samsung to the LCD list. Their panels come from the same factory as the sony XBR, but cost less. It looks like the room is dark enough for a plasma, but you'll find a lot of LCD's in the right size range. I don't know of any 1080p plasmas in the 42" size, so if you're going 1080p, you might be stuck w/ LCD

My In-laws have a Samsung 42" LCD. I wasn't impressed by it. Cheap plastic cover on back rattles like crazy with the TV audio. If you are using a separate audio system, that's not an issue I guess. I didn't go through the settings, but it seemed like a lot of artifacts in the picture. With LCDs, its not just the panel, its the electronics and software that drive them.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited June 2007
    Hey cool! we haven't discussed this in a while.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • unc2701
    edited June 2007
    billbillw wrote: »
    My In-laws have a Samsung 42" LCD. I wasn't impressed by it. Cheap plastic cover on back rattles like crazy with the TV audio. If you are using a separate audio system, that's not an issue I guess. I didn't go through the settings, but it seemed like a lot of artifacts in the picture. With LCDs, its not just the panel, its the electronics and software that drive them.

Your inlaws might be a generation back from when I was looking... Very true about the electronic driving it, but I was impressed w/ all the current generation Samsungs when I was shopping last fall- those are the ones coming form the same factory as Sony. I ended up with the S4695D 1080p model.
  • unc2701
    edited June 2007
    Also: I know absolutely nothing about audio for _any_ TVs. First thing I do is disable the speakers & program some remote macros so it plays nice with my audio system :)
  • billbillw
    edited June 2007
    UNC,
    I agree with not using the internal audio, but some people still do prefer the simplicity and clean installation (ie: my in-laws!). I don't really think my in-laws' TV is last generation. They just bought it sometime in the last 6 months, but I'm not sure if its a 1080p or 720p model.

Like I said in my o.p., I really prefer plasmas at this point, mainly because we usually are viewing in a dark room and I like my blacks to be black.

However, I'm betting that by the time I purchase another TV in 2-3 years to replace my living room CRT-RPTV, LCDs will be the hands down, the better choice due to lack of burn in potential, better resolution, and less power consumption. By that point, they will hopefully have true blacks, the kind you can look at in a dark room and see nothing, no glow, no grayness.
  • unc2701
    edited June 2007
    Yep... and kinda like audio, it comes down to personal preference. My room was VERY bright, so the grey "blacks" on LCDs didn't matter so much as the plasma glare/reflections.

My next set for the BR will probably be the biggest refurb LCD I can get for ~$500 or less. The wife has to have a TV on when she goes to bed, so the quality doesn't matter too much.
  • scottdwagner
    scottdwagner Posts: 106
    edited June 2007
    I'm a plasma fanboy and have no qualms about stating it. Put two well calibrated flat panels of similar price together in a room and there is NO question that the plasma will win out in terms of picture quality. No ghosting, no grey blacks (my biggest peeve with lcd, although they are improving in this regard), and more lifelike picture. The biggest claimed disadvantages of plasma (lifespan, difficulty in bright rooms, and image retention/burn-in) are not really an issue in my opinion. Lifespans now are 60,000+ hours to half-life (I know i'll be getting a new tv before that ever happens), I have a two story family room with floor to ceiling windows that doesn't discourage me from watching my plasma during the day, and finally I have never, ever seen image retention on my plasma even when my wife froze a dvd onscreen for two hours. Needless to say, I freaked out a little...
    All in all, your opinion may vary. Best to check out both technologies for yourself and see which YOU prefer.
    Monitor Audio GR 60, GR10, GRLCR
    Velodyne HGS18
    Emotiva MMC-1
    Parasound Model 5250
    Denon DVD-3800
    Pioneer pdp-5070
    Secondary HT with B&W CDM-NTs all around and Rotel Separates (thanks Venom!)
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited June 2007
    Panasonic's 2007 plasma lineup has a new anti-glare coating on the screen that is supposed to be on par with LCD. This will remove one of the biggest turnoffs people have had with plasma. My room is dark so I'm happy with mine.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-and-plasma/panasonic-th-50px77u/4505-6482_7-32317316.html?tag=pdtl-list
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • billbillw
    edited June 2007
    Bamadude wrote: »
    Panasonic's 2007 plasma lineup has a new anti-glare coating on the screen that is supposed to be on par with LCD. This will remove one of the biggest turnoffs people have had with plasma. My room is dark so I'm happy with mine.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-and-plasma/panasonic-th-50px77u/4505-6482_7-32317316.html?tag=pdtl-list

The anti-glare coating is not on all models, just on the step up models (PX77U, PZ700U, and PZ750U). The PX75U series will not have the coating.
  • Nisqually Dave
    Nisqually Dave Posts: 220
    edited June 2007
    One thing to look at that has not been mentioned, the LCD will have to have a light replaced after about three years, cost 250.00-350.00 Plasma will need work after about 3 to 4 years repairs on a plasma will run almost as much as buying a new one. ( 2,000 to 2,500.)
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2007
    Most of the big manufacturers of flat panel LCD's and Plasmas are claiming a 60,000(20+years)lifespan.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Nisqually Dave
    Nisqually Dave Posts: 220
    edited June 2007
    and they are full of crap to, call your handy dandy repair man and ask him Three to five years on them.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2007
    Any electronic device can fail and Im sure many Plasma and LCD tv's have internal component problems but the actual panels(LCD and Plasma)are maintainance free so they require no backlight replacement etc. unlike rear projection sets that need periodic backlight replacement.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • billbillw
    edited June 2007
    One thing to look at that has not been mentioned, the LCD will have to have a light replaced after about three years, cost 250.00-350.00 Plasma will need work after about 3 to 4 years repairs on a plasma will run almost as much as buying a new one. ( 2,000 to 2,500.)
    and they are full of crap to, call your handy dandy repair man and ask him Three to five years on them.

Dave,
    I think you have your facts wrong. I believe you are confusing LCD flat panels with LCD rear projection (or DLP/LCOS for that matter). The projection TVs are the ones that have a bulb that costs 250-350 to replace. LCD Flat panels go for a very long time without any maintenance. Think about how long your LCD computer monitors are lasting. I've seen some in service 18+ hours a day for more than 7 years already.

As far as plasmas, early generations got a bad rap for the panels fading severely after only 4-5 years. Current plasma panels have reforumulated phospors and better designs so that they are rated for much longer than the early panels (average 60000 hours for half life/half brightness)

Unfortunately, if you called a repairman, their experience would be on the earliest generations of plasmas. Current plasmas haven't been out long enough to say for sure if the manufacturers are full of crap, but I think there would be a huge class action suit if they didn't last for at least half the rated life, which would be 10+ years of normal viewing.
  • Bamadude
    edited June 2007
    right on bill. there is a lot of confusion about flat panels. the fact is that both plasma and LCD are overcoming many of their original design flaws which makes it difficult to get reliable info about the current state-of-the-art. i'm glad both technologies are still around because the competition between them is a win-win for consumers for both price and performance.

the reason i choose plasma is because i'm a sports fan and wanted the slight edge that plasma has in refresh rate for fast moving images. again LCD is ever catching up in this category. i will add that LCD in general usually has better edge detail and sharpness... note LCD is preferred for computer monitors. then again many agree that plasma has a richer/life-like picture.

Mark, you need to think about your viewing preferences and then go look at lots of TVs to help YOU decide. remember though that show room floors can suffer from poor video signals and also have picture settings all over the map which makes it hard to distinguish which set is best to you.

your budget if you have one will certainly come into play because with enough money you can find newer plasmas that have better edge detail than many LCDs (Pioneer PRO-FHD1)... and at the same time LCDs that can surpass many plasmas in black level performance (Sharp LC-52D92U). price point is a huge factor here.

what i like to do is read lots of reviews and look for common themes among reviews, then combine that with my own eyes. i think CNET.com does some of the best TV reviews out there, but there are plenty others. that's how i decided on my set and i’m very happy.

bamadude
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited June 2007
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    Hey cool! we haven't discussed this in a while.

Good one LOL :D

Also liked the

Thing. ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited June 2007
    if I upgrade the power cord on my LCD/plasma, will I get brighter colors and better response time?
  • Bamadude
    edited June 2007
    PhantomOG wrote: »
    if I upgrade the power cord on my LCD/plasma, will I get brighter colors and better response time?

yeah, but be careful of a modal reaction to the extra magneto reluctance ;) i once had this so bad it took several sinusoidal deplentorators and a few laxatives to clear up
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited June 2007
    I've heard Monster Cable is best for the BS ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited June 2007
    PhantomOG wrote: »

When I was just using the stock power cord on my LCD, the colors seemed dull and I had lots of ghosting issues...Now that I upgraded to a 36 gauge power cord, the colors just jump out at me and the ghosting issues are gone...:eek:
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited June 2007
    Looks like a wood burning fireplace....forget the lcd.Trust me on this one,have an LCD and a wood burner,almost can't be in the same room unless your into buying a new set every 2 years.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable