I found a new favorite beer.

TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20070529_Teamsters_still_foaming_over_ejection_by_brewer_Yuengling.html

Those poor Teamsters. Can't even rally a good boycott. Pity.

I bought a case of Yuengling today to help the cause.

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited May 2007
    I knew I liked them!

I'd recommend their black and tan. Tasty!
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited May 2007
    If buying beer will help someone out, count me in!
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited May 2007
    Yuengling is my fav. we have to work hard to get it here in GA, gotta drive over to Alabama to get it, so it must be good.

Hell, I about fell over when Troy got a keg of it for the Polkfest 06's second keg.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,978
    edited May 2007
    My fav.

Samuel Smiths Nut Brown Ale. Tasty!!
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, you were pushing the kegerator around like it was your life support system.

Good stuff that Yuengling

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    edited May 2007
    Try one of these if you're ever anywhere close to Colorado:

http://www.newbelgium.com/beers_bk.php
    SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited May 2007
    Never had Yuengling, never even seen it, but I'd be willing to try it. As Stew said, you can't go wrong with New Belgium products. Their Fat Tire is one of my goto beers when I'm not drinking Dos Equis ambers or Pacifico's.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,437
    edited May 2007
    hoosier21 wrote: »
    Hell, I about fell over when Troy got a keg of it for the Polkfest 06's second keg.

Yeah, because you tried to carry the damn thing around with you. :D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,668
    edited May 2007
    TroyD wrote: »
    http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20070529_Teamsters_still_foaming_over_ejection_by_brewer_Yuengling.html

Those poor Teamsters. Can't even rally a good boycott. Pity.

I bought a case of Yuengling today to help the cause.

BDT

Thanks for helping to support my union, the International Association of Operating Engineers. They operate the power facilities at the Tampa facility
    (Local 925), and I believe also at the Pottsville facility.

Yuengling, among other brewers such as Anheuser Busch, have been been in a fight with the Teamsters for quite a while, for better or worse.

Yuengling doesn't appear to be fighting all unions, but has the Teamsters in the cross hairs from what I've been able to gather.
    Sal Palooza
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited May 2007
    I'm a union member (Communications Workers of America), and ever since a Teamster crossed our picket line stating it wasn't their fight, I've decided never support them again, right or wrong.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2007
    I know this thread is more about unions than beer, but.... my favorite beer is a micro out of Portland, Rogue. If you look hard enough it is distributed around the country, so if you ever see it, buy it. It's fantastic. Assuming you're not a Bud guy, that is.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited June 2007
    New Belgium, ahh those were the days. Finish a test in the morning, cross the street to Coors lab and then cross it back to Golden City and then have the freshman drive you up to CSU for some more free beer at New Belgium and then hit on the CSU honeys that night. Life was good!

For the record: Unions that work with the ownership in a co-operative manner and are aware of the major concerns of the corporation and the union membership I don't really have a problem with except they are very few and far between. It's those unions that hold the company hostage with unreasonable demands and wages and keep asking for more as they drive the company into oblivion and costing employees jobs that I have a problem with (Airlines and Auto industry are prime examples of this)
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited June 2007
    Rivrrat wrote: »
    Never had Yuengling, never even seen it, but I'd be willing to try it. As Stew said, you can't go wrong with New Belgium products. Their Fat Tire is one of my goto beers when I'm not drinking Dos Equis ambers or Pacifico's.

Yuengling's damn solid beer, especially for the price. I don't remember seeing it in Maryland until '95 or so. If I had to choose between being able to get it or stuff from New Belgium, however, I'd be all over New Belgium. I've heard a lot of people rave about Fat Tire and that 1554. Can't get it out here, just another reason to move out west!
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited June 2007
    Great beer and great people the Yuengling's are. My wife and I have the pleasure of being friends with one of the sibling's of the owner. You couldn't find more down to earth and friendly folks anywhere.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited June 2007
    "If he doesn't want union people, then I would say union people shouldn't drink his beer," said Patrick Eiding, president of the 150,000-member Philadelphia council of the AFL-CIO.

Wow they really see that as a threat??? Maybe at one time in Philly it was, but most of the union guys I know there are hypocrites. They are only union when people are looking, so it shouldn't put a dent the Yuengling's sales.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited June 2007
    Been awhile since I had Yuengling back in college in NY. Too bad I can't get some in Texas.

Actually a Spec's just opened up down the road so I should check there to see if they have any.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited June 2007
    Love the Yuengling have a case in the fridge now
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited June 2007
    Yuengling is pretty much all my family drinks :) The original lager, of course. I've got a few bottles in the fridge and the rest of the case in the cellar :) Any locals are welcome to stop in for a visit and have a taste....

At $20 a case, it's priced squarely between **** like Bud, and fruity **** like Smirnoff.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited June 2007
    Here in NJ, Yuengling is cheaper than everything but Coors Light and Miller Light.

PhantomOG, you should check around. Yuengling used to distribute in LA and TX but they don't list distributors there anymore. However, there are likely still people there selling it. Maybe find a places that caters to microbrews. They might have it.

http://www.yuengling.com/distrib.htm

m00npie, I met a couple of the Yuengling siblings at the PA Renn fair one year. A friend of mine from Easton went to school with with a couple of thier cousins. Very nice people, very involved in the community and very down-to-earth. They make an excellent product too and they are pretty much part of American History to boot. The brewery opened in 1829. They are only about 50-55 years younger than this country.

As for the beer, the Lager is thier flagship. Consistency can suffer at times because of the lack of preservatives but overall, it's a solid brew good with BBQ to a fine dinner or even as an evening drink. Hell, who am I kidding, it's good at 8 am too! The Black and Tan is good too but I prefer the Guinness Stout to Yuengling's Porter. However, their Porter by itself is robust and refreshing, a nice alternative to Guiness if you can find it. Also, look for Yuengling Light Lager. I'd rank it on my tops list right there with Sam Adams Light and Amstel Light. It also only has 99 calories IIRC but still an alcohol content above 3% which is high for a light beer.

Yuengling is an institution in the area. Rolling Rock was too until Anheuser-Busch bought the name and the Latrobe Brewing Company name, closed the brewery in Latrobe that had been there for generations and fired all of the brewery workers. Kind of a prickish thing to do leaving all those employees hung out to dry. Rolling Rock is pretty much junk now and local bars can't sell what they have. Nobody will support it.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited June 2007
    i really like Yuengling... it's only second to Killians Irish Red in my book. man that stuff's tasty.
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited June 2007
    Black & Tan, Lager, Chesterfield Ale, man oh man are they ever good. I have a vending machine (on free vend) on my deck loaded up with the Lager & Black & Tan along w/ a few others & a few soda choices. The Lager & Black & Tan are by far the # 1 & #2 choices. Nothing like a cold one after getting out of the pool, hell for that matter in the pool!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited June 2007
    If I were still a drinking man I would have to trump all beers with Pilsner Urquell. It is a Czechoslovakian beer or whatever they are called today.

This is by far the best eating and drinking beer I've ever tasted. It only is available at a certain time of year.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited June 2007
    If I were still a drinking man I would have to trump all beers with Pilsner Urquell. It is a Czechoslovakian beer or whatever they are called today.

This is by far the best eating and drinking beer I've ever tasted. It only is available at a certain time of year.

Excellent choice. They are actually the first to make a true Pilsner. Neat bottles with the swing top & awesome taste to boot.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited June 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    I know this thread is more about unions than beer, but.... my favorite beer is a micro out of Portland, Rogue. If you look hard enough it is distributed around the country, so if you ever see it, buy it. It's fantastic. Assuming you're not a Bud guy, that is.

Amen.....this is some of the best beer in the world. I'm just a few miles from the brewery in Newport. The Mocha Porter and the Brutal Bitter are to die for.
    The Dead Guy Ale is the one that seems to have the widest distribution though.

I was in PA for a while on business. That Yuengling is pretty tasty if you light a lighter beer.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,668
    edited June 2007
    9-0-5 Light Beer. Mmmmmm.....
    Sal Palooza
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited June 2007
    Yuengling is a good cheap American beer. It's not somthing I would drink everyday, but I would pick it over Bud & Miller any day.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited June 2007
    I'm thankful for unions. They played a major role in the creation of "leisure time" (8 hour work day, 5 day work week), so I have time to drink beer. They were also very instrumental in advancing the cause of free public education, so I can read the various beer cartons and know which one it is I'm buying. ;)
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited June 2007
    Russ and that keg made quite a couple.
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited June 2007
    Weinstephaner on tap is the best beer I've ever had.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited June 2007
    Can't get Yuengling here, our big regional brewery is Boulevard. They make a great Unfiltered Wheat brew, of which I will swill a few tonight with bratwurst. :D