Monitor 10 Help

Options
Imports615
Imports615 Posts: 2
edited May 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I had somebody ask me if I could fix their old Polk speakers and they would pay me, of course I accepted. I'm pretty sure they are Monitor 10s and the speakers are marked 1979. The problem with them is that there are no highs, just lows. I really don't know much about old Polk speakers so I figured Id get some help from more experience people before messing something up. Theres no fuse in the speakers, could fixing them be as simple as putting the fuse in? Also is it a fuse I can just go to radioshack and buy or is it something I will need to buy online? Ive searched around at different sites but it seems like its pretty hard to find info on these speakers. Thanks for any help that you can give me.
Post edited by Imports615 on

Comments

• Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited May 2007
    Options
    You need a 1amp fast blow fuse (not slow blow). radio shack sells them.
  • NeilGabriel
    NeilGabriel Posts: 1,487
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Is there a spot for a fuse on them...ner binding posts? This sounds like an early run. Most Monitors have the number on them. Post a pic. I kept blowing fuses on my 10s playing white stripes dvd too loud. Only the tweeter is fused. I might have put in a 1.5 amp.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Since you're getting the technical advice on how to fix these for free and, at the moment, its only going to cost you the price of a fuse I hope you aren't going to charge this "somebody" much (if anything) for "your" "work" ;):)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Can you buy me a hamburger? I'll gladly pay you next Tuesday.
  • specialidiot
    specialidiot Posts: 44
    edited May 2007
    Options
    good thing they didn't ask you to perform brain surgery.
    Kitchen: NAD 7220PE, Polk Mini-Monitor
    Home Office:Bottlehead S.E.X, Fostex FE127E in custom enclosures, Grado SR80
    Polks: 7B, Mini Monitor
    Mancave: Yamaha B-2, C-2a, CD-2, T-1, Bottlehead FP3, Thorens TD165c
    Project:KLH 17 Rebuild
    Ruined by DHL: Ming Da MC84-b (modded)
  • C3 Audio
    C3 Audio Posts: 43
    edited May 2007
    Options
    The schematics for the Monitor 10's and a lot of the other Polk speakers are in the "Troubleshooting" forum. Here is the link: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38755
    I hope it's just the fuses?:)
    Conrad Johnson PV14L
    Rotel RCD-1072 CDP
    Carver TFM-25
    Polk SDA 1C's with upgraded xovers
  • NeilGabriel
    NeilGabriel Posts: 1,487
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Just took the money and ran!
  • Imports615
    Imports615 Posts: 2
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Nah I got it fixed. The fuses were part of it but that wasn't the only thing. After opening the speaker up and looking around there were a few bad connections. Had to re-solder some stuff and they work good now. Wasn't anything too bad I guess some of the connections were just bad because of how old the speakers are.