Help - FX 500 Left Channel Speaker Broken

Options
realjoeyd
realjoeyd Posts: 2
edited May 2007 in Troubleshooting
Hi,

My wife managed to bump the speaker stand with the vacuum cleaner hard enough to cause my FX/500 left channel surround speaker to come crashing to the floor. :eek:

It is totally dead - no sound at all. The drivers themselves look OK, and I didn't see any obvious signs of damage when I removed the rear plate (where the speaker wires connect).

Any ideas about how I might be able to troubleshoot/fix this? Or, failing that, referral to a good repair facility?

I want to get back to 5.1 ASAP :)

Thanks!

Joe
Post edited by realjoeyd on

Comments

• Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I'd suggest removing the drivers and checking the solder connections. You might need to resolder any loose connections.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • warlocks1
    warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Probably the crossover. Unscrew the plate where the binding post are and check for cracks or loose wires. You can pull the drivers and tweeters and touch the speaker wires to the connecting pins and see if you get sound. Make sure you turn the power way down on the receiver. Also, be sure the speaker wires don't touch each other.

Call Polk customer service on Tuesday. They can send any replacement paerts you will need.

Good luck
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2007
    Options
    If you don't find anything obvious, my first step would be to start troubleshooting with the other surround speaker. Swap drivers, one at a time and see if they work in the "good" speaker. The problem should be pretty easy to figure out.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • realjoeyd
    realjoeyd Posts: 2
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Thanks guys... I will try all of these methods to track down the issue.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Oh yeah BTW, I doubt anything is really "broken." Most likely it is an easy fix!
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!