Who is your favorite comedian?

cmy330go
cmy330go Posts: 2,341
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
So I'm sitting up recording some old blues vinyl to CD, and stumbled across Bill Cosby: Himself on HBO. Now Cosby is kind of before my time, but I really owe thanks to my old man for introducing me to some of, what I feel, is the best comedy of all time. If you have never seen (or heard) it, you really owe it to yourself to check it out.

So I ask you all.....Who is your favorite?
HT
Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
Post edited by cmy330go on

Comments

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,668
    edited May 2007
    Can't really pick just one:

1. The Marx Brothers
    2. W.C. Fields
    3. Lenny Bruce
    4. Dennis Miller
    5. Larry the Cable Guy ("It's all right.... I like me a fat broad that's sassy").
    6. George Carlin
    7. The Hudson Brothers (their TV show is a gem to find)
    8. The Tubes vs Solid State guys.

:)
    Sal Palooza
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited May 2007
    Can't really pick just one:

1. The Marx Brothers
    2. W.C. Fields
    3. Lenny Bruce
    4. Dennis Miller
    5. Larry the Cable Guy ("It's all right.... I like me a fat broad that's sassy").
    6. George Carlin
    7. The Hudson Brothers (their TV show is a gem to find)
    8. The Tubes vs Solid State guys.

:)

I'll have to agree with the Marx Brothers. They are amazing. Such quick humor too. I can still watch their movies and catch new things.

Number 8 will never die.:D
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited May 2007
    I like physical comedy --Don Knotts and Lucille Ball were among the best. Of course, the Three Stooges were the absolute best of them all.

I also prefer the "clean" comedians for stand-up such as Bill Cosby and Jerry Seinfeld. Too much foul language is distracting. Richard Pryor was good, but overrated.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited May 2007
    I'm a big fan of Brian Regan. Verry funny and clean.
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited May 2007
    Red Skelton
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • NeilGabriel
    NeilGabriel Posts: 1,487
    edited May 2007
    Do politicans count?
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited May 2007
    Kathy Griffin as hysterical. I have seen her twice live and she puts on a great show.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,978
    edited May 2007
    Richard Pryor
    George Carlin
    Eddie Murphy
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited May 2007
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Richard Pryor
    George Carlin
    Eddie Murphy

I agree with all three, and would have to add Dave Chappelle and Paul Mooney. Paul Mooney was one of the guys that wrote with Richard Prior, and his act is out of this world funny. "Don't make me too famous, the white people will come and take me away..." haha.:D
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited May 2007
    Robin Williams.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited May 2007
    Dane Cook and Kevin James (Doug from King of Queens) do really good standup
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited May 2007
    Kathy Griffin as hysterical. I have seen her twice live and she puts on a great show.

She could be my least favorite comedian of all time :) Takes all kinds I guess.
    krabby5 wrote:
    Kevin James (Doug from King of Queens)

He cracked me up the first time I heard him, I was surprised.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited May 2007
    Joe Rogan and Chris Rock
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited May 2007
    Ray Ramano has a surprisingly blue act, considering the TV show he was on....As does Robin Williams, he puts on a great show.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited May 2007
    Lenny Bruce
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • dholmes
    dholmes Posts: 1,136
    edited May 2007
    Lewis Black!!
    My HT set-up Panasonic front proj, 120 in ws screen, ATI amp,Integra 9.8 pre-pro, 2 Polk rti150, cp 1000, 4 fx 1000, Pioneer blu-ray 2 SVS sub pb 12-ultra 2, & Paragon popcorn popper. ps 3 Coaster leather HT recliners.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited May 2007
    dholmes wrote: »
    Lewis Black!!

Oh yeah, that guy is hilarious, too.

I also like Larry the Cable Guy. His last movie (Health Inspector or something like that) was funny as hell.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited May 2007
    Bob Saget is also very funny. If you never heard his standup act he is very dirty. Nothing like america's funniest home vidios.
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,570
    edited May 2007
    Jay Hickman, although very nasty, still laugh my **** off everytime I hear "Boat Ride".
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited May 2007
    For me it is Doug Stanhope.....he is very raw but I laugh my **** off every time I hear him.

The Transvestite Hooker story was classic, and he has what I consider some of the best opening one liners I have ever heard to get the audience into the show.

"I blew a speaker in my car today......he was a motivational speaker....I know I feel better about myself but he sure left a bad taste in my mouth."
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2007
    Larry the Cable **** is the most annoying, fake, retarded jackass to ever grace the TV screen! He got his start on 98 rock in b-more and now he's too good to even make an appearance on there without prior approval from his agent. F him and the rolls royce he's driving now because being an inbred hick and un-intelligent is somehow "funny". I invite you to read the following from a real comedian, David Cross:
    http://www.bobanddavid.com/david.asp?artID=183
  • bobman1235
    edited May 2007
    David Cross is an arrogant ****. While I'm not a big fan of "schtick" comedy like Larry the Cable Guy, he's obviously hugely popular because he's good at what he does and people enjoy him. David Cross, aside from being hilarious on Arrested Development, is popular amongst people who think they're better than everyone, and that's about it.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited May 2007
    Josh speaks the Truth.

Speaking of David Cross, do you ever watch Mr. Show? One of the funniest sketch comedy shows EVER!!

edit: Bobman preemptively pegged me. Guess I'll go back to sipping on Merlot and playing backgammon:D
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • bobman1235
    edited May 2007
    I was obviously being overly general, because you, zombie, are both a gentleman and scholar.

I just think the argument about Larry the Cable Guy being fake are stupid. Of COURSE he's fake. I don't think there's many morons out there that think that's ACTUALLY him up there - anyone as stupid as he pretends to be could never get to where he's gotten.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited May 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    I was obviously being overly general, because you, zombie, are both a gentleman and scholar.

Stop... you're making me blush:p :)

Point taken with the Cable Guy. I guess my only contention with listing him as one of the "all-time greats" is that his routine seems to illicit more canned laughter than any real gut-busting, tears in your eyes laughter IMO.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    I just think the argument about Larry the Cable Guy being fake are stupid. Of COURSE he's fake. I don't think there's many morons out there that think that's ACTUALLY him up there

You'd be surprised.
  • Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    edited May 2007
    Steven Wright
    Mitch Hedberg
    Stooges
    And of course, old Eddie standup. Raw + Delirious

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited May 2007
    I saw Kevin James live, with one of his writers on the King of Queens opening . was one of the funniest Comedy shows I ever went to.

Dane Cook is Hilarious, saw him at the Garden, like 10th row, great show.

I agree with Dave picking Brian Regan, hilarious, you dont realize its clean until someone points it out, its that good.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited May 2007
    Jim Bruer, goat boy never gets old, and his regular stand up is great. Saw him live at Banana's in Jersey, another great show
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited May 2007
    Robin Williams - You never know where he is going...then again...neither does he.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson