Please feel my pain

Options
NeilGabriel
NeilGabriel Posts: 1,487
edited May 2007 in Troubleshooting
To make a very long story short, I spent well over an hour trying to determine why I lost the front left channel in the HT set up this morning. I had cut the back off the TV/stereo stand so that I could actually get at the gear without pulliong verything out the front end. Tightened all my connections up and next thing I know, the channel is gone. Anyway, after trying every thing I could think and changing connections to narrow down issue, it turned out that the speaker wire was dropping too far into the big **** hole in the binding post and metal was not touching metal. Next time, I check that first. I gotta get a stand on wheels!
Post edited by NeilGabriel on

Comments

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Well you could try pulling everthing out, check every wire and cable only to find out your wife got frustrated and started pushing buttons and turn off the speaker selector.

Have a nice day
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited May 2007
    Options
    or the stupid video off button on some receivers.....
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2007
    Options
    that's good to know it was just a lose wire and nothing that needed repairs. so you're good to go again for another 3000 miles. ;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Every time i turn any of my three HT setups, somethings wrong. I have a neurotic cat that has been chewing up my cables all of a sudden. I have to go through the system and figure out what is wrong. I have gone through $500 in cables in the last two months. FEEL MY PAIN!
    Thank God for Monoprice.com.:D
  • engtaz
    edited May 2007
    Options
    No doubt about monoprice but doessn't the cat like power wires better. LOL
    engtaz

• joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited May 2007
    Options
    My cat used to chew on wires too...he stopped, not sure why, but it might have something to do with the little holes I saw in some power wires.

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • scottvamp
    edited May 2007
    Options
    engtaz wrote: »
    No doubt about monoprice but doesn't the cat like power wires better. LOL

Unfortunately, the cat(s) stay away from the power wires. Its like they know. Biting Optical cables right in half and chewing everything else up. My speaker wires are in flex tubing now and the back of the units are like Fort Knox, out of cardboard. LOL !!
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited May 2007
    Options
    scottvamp wrote: »
    Every time i turn any of my three HT setups, somethings wrong. I have a neurotic cat that has been chewing up my cables all of a sudden. I have to go through the system and figure out what is wrong. I have gone through $500 in cables in the last two months. FEEL MY PAIN!

Sounds like you need a dog to take care of the chewing cat problem.....:D
  • scottvamp
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Sounds like you need a dog to take care of the chewing cat problem.....:D
    LOL - I had my dream dog and he thought my speakers were chew/play toys. Even worse off.:eek:
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited May 2007
    Options
    :D ROTFLMAO!!!!!:D
    LOL - I had my dream dog and he thought my speakers were chew/play toys. Even worse off.:eek:
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited May 2007
    Options

Ouch man, that sucks....I have my days where I love my dogs, then the days where I think "You two are the reason people beat animals!" :D

All of you know I would never abuse an animal, but there are days where I sure as hell understand why people do....I don't condone it, but I understand...:D
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    edited May 2007
    Options
    it turned out that the speaker wire was dropping too far into the big **** hole in the binding post and metal was not touching metal.

That's why folks who know, know to use banana or spade terminals.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• NeilGabriel
    NeilGabriel Posts: 1,487
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Oh sure, blame the operator. Like I don't have enough guilt in my life.
  • engtaz
    edited May 2007
    Options
    a thought spade was what you did to dogs and cats LOL
    engtaz

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Oh sure, blame the operator. Like I don't have enough guilt in my life.

Wait a second.....a lawyer with guilt...don't that beat all...
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • davidk0512
    davidk0512 Posts: 157
    edited May 2007
    Options

Smith and Wesson has a cheaper solution
    David
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Don't feel too bad, the other day I lost all sound...I start looking at everything--all connections are good, got the right input, yada, yada...

...the damn amp was off. Duh.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2