I love vinyl records....or do I?

dorokusai
dorokusai Posts: 25,577
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
This picture was taken today, two seconds before I kicked all that crap into the county trash dumpster. I feel fantastic.
CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
Post edited by dorokusai on

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited May 2007
    Murderer

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited May 2007
    I knew I shouldn't have clicked on the thread title.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited May 2007
    Long live CD's!!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,480
    edited May 2007
    Joe's gonna have a grabber when he sees this.:eek: :p
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 819
    edited May 2007
    Lets start the petition to save the Vinyl from Mark
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2007
    Scomp - I demo'd a pair of Innersound 3.5 mkII yesterday....its a very nice loudspeaker to hang out with for awhile.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited May 2007
    If that's all you're throwing away Mark, what happened to all the rest?? Didn't you buy a ton or so from somebody on eBay last year? I'm guessing there were a few nice pieces in there that you have on a shelf or on eBay. LOL!
    Carl

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited May 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Scomp - I demo'd a pair of Innersound 3.5 mkII yesterday....its a very nice loudspeaker to hang out with for awhile.

Hell yes! I heard Rich's and Norm's systems with the 3.5's. They are impressive. Victor has a pair also, I'm going to try and hear those on my next visit to Chitown.
    Carl

• dorokusai
    edited May 2007
    schwarcw wrote: »
    If that's all you're throwing away Mark, what happened to all the rest?? Didn't you buy a ton or so from somebody on eBay last year? I'm guessing there were a few nice pieces in there that you have on a shelf or on eBay. LOL!

Correct. That was sorted, sold or sent to the various factions of Club Polk. I have a great story about a Zombies - "Odessey & Oracle" album but I'll save it for a Polkfest.

I was tired of it taking up space in my audio grotto and had already handed off a HUGE batch to Madmax. Bulk vinyl is just too heavy to ship cheap when its on the arm, so to the dump I went.

I don't care for vinyl anyways, so hopefully something sacred and rare was destroyed.
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited May 2007
    Correct. That was sorted, sold or sent to the various factions of Club Polk. I have a great story about a Zombies - "Odessey & Oracle" album but I'll save it for a Polkfest.

I was tired of it taking up space in my audio grotto and had already handed off a HUGE batch to Madmax. Bulk vinyl is just too heavy to ship cheap when its on the arm, so to the dump I went.

I don't care for vinyl anyways, so hopefully something sacred and rare was destroyed.

I'm not buying it. I think you're getting rid of the bad and the ugly and hoarding the good stuff.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,711
    edited May 2007
    Bulk vinyl is just too heavy to ship cheap when its on the arm, so to the dump I went.

Dude,
    Next time, just offer it up on Craigslist or FreeCycle. Someone will take it off your hands and maybe listen to it. Keep it out of the landfills!

When I was first getting into vinyl, I drove out of my way 40 minutes, to pick up a mysterious collection of "approx 50 albums from the 60s, 70s, and 80s" that I found on FreeCycle. I got up there and the person (never actually met them) had left more than 120 albums sitting near their porch in nice plastic bins. I found about 70 that were worth keeping including a handful of Readers Digest box sets, a bunch of cool 60's music, and some country music that didn't totally suck. The stuff that sucked (more country and very nasty old stuff) I offered up again on Freecycle and I had about a dozen emails and they were gone the next day.
    Another time, I scored about 15 super clean classical albums from some lady who was moving and would have thrown them out otherwise. FreeCycle again.

Please don't ever throw away vinyl unless its scratched to all hell and unlistenable.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2007
    This picture was taken today, two seconds before I kicked all that crap into the county trash dumpster. I feel fantastic.

CRUCIFY HIM!!!! CRUCIFY HIM!!!
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007

CRUCIFY HIM!!!! CRUCIFY HIM!!!

Aw cmon man I would have gladly taken them off your hands. . . crap I would have driven to your house to do it.

Wow why did it post twice???:confused:
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    Long live CD's!!!

AHHHHH shet ep!!!!!
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    izafar wrote: »
    Lets start the petition to save the Vinyl from Mark

Count me in!!!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2007
    Mark, back away slowly. Distance.

Don't let these guys find out there were some MFSL, Mercury Living Presence, and RCA Living Stereo in the batch (like you told me on the phone before the big kick). You might be pummeled about the head and groin with sacks of pennies at your next public appearance.

Vinyl guys don't F around.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »

Don't let these guys find out there were some MFSL, Mercury Living Presence, and RCA Living Stereo in the batch (like you told me on the phone before the big kick). You might be pummeled about the head and groin with sacks of pennies at your next public appearance.

Cheers,
    Russ

Knife embedded, and turned upwards!!!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,161
    edited May 2007
    Burning them would have been more entertaining and then you could have polluted the air as well as the land fill.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited May 2007
    Not even time for a drop of lighter fuel and a match, he must have been on a mission today.
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2007

Cheers,
    Russ

Guys into vinyl are about as threatening as the local meter maid, at least in my travels. In the event that they are bigger, they are usually dumber and easily confused with 52 card pickup and wild waving of hands.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2007
    Atta boy.....
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    Guys into vinyl are about as threatening as the local meter maid, at least in my travels. In the event that they are bigger, they are usually dumber and easily confused with 52 card pickup and wild waving of hands.

Heeeeeeeeeeyyyyy I resemble that remark!!!
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,480
    edited May 2007

Kewl. So far I am pretty happy with them. What amp did they have on the panels? I presume they had the second design bass/crossover amp with the remote control.

The Eros 3.5 would be nice to have. I like the French window treatment on the newer style, 2dB more efficient Ultrastat panels and the 3.5 cabinets looked great in Atomic Silver. I near bought a pair but it is hard for me to part with the extra $2K just for the looks.
    Hell yes! I heard Rich's and Norm's systems with the 3.5's.

Carl, we have the MK II’s. The MK II designates the speakers with second design improved panels. The MK I panels had a bad rep for being bug zappers, and they were swapped under warranty for the MK II panels.

All versions of the Eros sound essentially identical as they use the same woofer, transmission line, and ESL panel parameters. There is a very subtle difference between the original Eros and the later models because the later models used a new crossover/amp with slightly different equalization.

The Kaya speakers use the same woofers as the Eros, but the transmission line is a bit different in internal shape. Roger Sanders told me you may not hear the difference, but the Eros TL measures slightly better. The Kaya sounds different from the Eros because its electrostatic panel is larger, and the deep sides of the Kaya change the phase cancellation characteristics of the ESL. He said there wasn’t much difference sonically between the Kaya and the Eros, but it would not be fair to say that they sound identical. Roger still uses a pair of MK II’s with the Ultrastat 3.5 panels.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2007
    Mark is a very very bad man.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2007
    One of the last things that Mark is ever going to hear is Chuck saying 'it puts the lotion on it's skin or it gets the hose again'

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited May 2007
    Wait, so vinyl is crap? I thought Vinyl was the next stop in my audio journey. In fact, I'm dropping $50 today to pick up an old turntable and about 75 records.

If I don't use them, I'll be sure to mail them to Mark for disposal.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2007
    No, Mark just has a mean spirited side. He's not stupid, if there was anything of value in the stacks, he would have sold it or given it away. Probably show tunes and Firestone Christmas albums.

Feel free to bring any record you don't care for over here Andy.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited May 2007
    Mark, How could you. I've been listening to more vinyl than cd's recently. next time send them to me.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2007
    Probably show tunes and Firestone Christmas albums.

Oh no! He's throwing away the classics?? :eek:
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited May 2007
    So he's convicted on only a before picture????

no evidence it ever happened.

stir pot add salt stir again

RT1