Best GLUE for sticking spider to basket ??

Options
Boogsy
Boogsy Posts: 5
edited May 2007 in Troubleshooting
Hi

the spider of my sub drive unit, has come unstuck, from the basket...

Im in the UK, so can not send the drive unit to Polk, as it costs £ 80 just to ship it over ( $ 150 ! )

can anyone recommend the best glue to use, to glue the spider back down ?

there are NO speaker repair people here in the UK, or at least, they are impossible to find........so Im going to have to do some DIY ....

Ive heard that a Thick-Superglue can be used.

can anyone confirm this ? or suggest something better ?

thanks !
Post edited by Boogsy on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Hello,
    Thanks for posting on the Forum. You can use any of the cyanoacrylate type of adhesives, such as Loctite 499 or 454. This is a gel-type CA glue that should be easy to work with. If you have difficulty finding that you can use one of the "Super Glues" in gel form also "Crazy Glue".
    Regards, Ken
  • Boogsy
    edited May 2007
    Options
    thanks....I will try the superglue method, and see how it works...

I am also ordering a new drive unit from Polk USA, who were kind enough to supply me one at a good price ( thanks Polk ! ) .....
  • Boogsy
    edited May 2007
    Options
    hi Ken

I really messed up trying to repair the woofer !

I used a superglue, but it wasnt a gel type.....anyway, it glued the spider rim-to-basket nice and firm, however, the glue must have run down the basket, and it totally glued the voice cone in place !!

the diaphram will not move at all now.......

the good news, is that Ive ordered a new MW-1081 woofer from Helen.....

actually, I was very happy that you have these in stock now, as I was looking at a previous thread, and thought that you didnt produce them anymore..... ?

( http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-5242.html )

anyway, I look forward to the new MW-1081 woofer.....

sub should be as good as new again....

thanks for the brilliant customer support

Ed.
    ===
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Just found out I needed the same advice about a loose spider. You may have messed up your woofer but you just saved me from making the same mistake.
    Thanks!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2007
    Options
    My repair went well. I used Loctite 411 (because that is what I had). It is a thick enough glue that it didn't run all over. I applied it between the spider and basket, gave it a couple sprays of accelerator (Locktite 712) and it was done. The speaker works well now!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Tbone289
    Tbone289 Posts: 661
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I just repaired a PSW202 with the same basket separation last weekend. I filled the gap with JBWeld two-part epoxy, placed the face of the woofer on a flat surface and put weights atop the magnet overnight. It worked very well also.
    2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0