just got my yellow belt in Krav Maga

ohskigod
ohskigod Posts: 6,502
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
started taking Krav Maga about a week after the last polkfest at Troy's. Its an Isreali martial art focused primarily on street applicable self defense. You can Wiki search it if your curious. I needed something interesting to get me excersizing, and apparently did a good job finding it. Was thinking of taking Karate again but decided to do something different. This is pretty different.

after 6 1/2 months, I passed my first belt test. kinda stoked.
I'm going to be doing this for quite some time, despite the abuse my body takes, I love it.

I had Fireman32 and my wife at the test as a cheering section, that was pretty cool too.

posting this literally because I'm still pretty pumped, since my instructor said I did pretty good.
Living Room 2 Channel -
Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
Post edited by ohskigod on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2007
    I've got a brown belt.

Got it at Sears for 11.49.

Good on ya, broham.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2007
    Why do you need martial arts?

Youre so freaking big I cant imagine anybody messing with you! :D

Congrats either way!! Thats something to be proud of! music-smiley-005.gif
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • ohskigod
    edited May 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Why do you need martial arts?

Youre so freaking big I cant imagine anybody messing with you! :D

Its the crazy **** that are willing to try that I worry about. :p
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited May 2007
    Ohskigod is correct....being big is a problem because it lures street fighters to "try him out"......eeerrr, I don't have that problem.

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited May 2007
    Congrats!

I took some martial arts lessons for four or five years starting when I was eight or nine. Got my junior black belt and quit, which was pretty stupid, 'cause now I've forgotten everything.

It is fun, though. Glad you found a form you could get into. Hope it continues to please you!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited May 2007
    joeparaski wrote: »
    Ohskigod is correct....being big is a problem because it lures street fighters to "try him out"......eeerrr, I don't have that problem.

Joe
    Congrats on the belt Osh.

Im a big fellow too, and usally with me its some idiot trying to impress his friends that he can beat up the big guy.

The good thing is I dont beat up easily lol. But it sure doesnt stop people from trying though.

Most of the time the actual really tough guys have nothing to prove to anyone and pretty much leave ya alone.

A midget with a 45 is what scares me.:D

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited May 2007
    We're still gonna kick your **** and take all your equipment! ;)

Notice I said WE'RE and not I. Don't think I'm dumb enough to take ya on alone! :D

Congrats Big Man!

John
    No excuses!
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited May 2007
    Way to go! I got a Brown Belt years ago in Tang Soo Do and have been thinking about going back to finish it up. I did some research on your style and it looks very practical. Those Israelis do not mess around.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2007
    From the title, I figured the Krav Maga was the local Indian food buffet.

When you do a roundhouse, does the earth 'shimmy' on its axis a little?

XOXOXOXO,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2007
    Tang Soo Do

Wash her mouth out with soap!!!
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    Good job Lou ya big galute!!! God forbid some bung hole thinks of you as a lumbering awkward big guy. . .stay out of the bars!!!!!
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited May 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Russ

I'm glad I'm not the only one.....Waaaaaaaaaaaaa!:D
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited May 2007
    joeparaski wrote: »

Joe

waaaaaaaaaaa, now that is funny, I cannot say how many guys I had to tell, "see, your daddy was wrong, the bigger they are, the harder YOU fall".

hehehehehe

Lou that is great, does this mean you can eat more?????? Let the Belly Bucking Begin.

See you October Bro.

RT1
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited May 2007
    Again brother congrats. Glad i can be there to cheer you on. Although at one point I thought you were going to pass out. It was a hell of a rough test and Lou was awsome. I'm glad he is on my side if were ever in a fight. I'm considering taking the class myself. Again congrats bro.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    Fireman32 wrote: »
    Again brother congrats. Glad i can be there to cheer you on. Although at one point I thought you were going to pass out. It was a hell of a rough test and Lou was awsome. I'm glad he is on my side if were ever in a fight. I'm considering taking the class myself. Again congrats bro.

Dave I just pictured you in a cheer leaders outfit waving pom poms and just heaved all over my keyboard!!!!
  • kingtut
    kingtut Posts: 813
    edited May 2007
    Ohskigod, in term of practicality, which is more useful in a fight -- Krav Maga or Karate?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2007
    What about a fight is practical? Or predictable for that matter.

That being said, if Krav Maga has ANY sort of ground game, I'd give it a definate edge. These days, better to be well rounded. Jack of all trades, master of none, if you will.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ohskigod
    edited May 2007
    Krav approaches self defense from a no rules standpoint. it's about surviving a confrontation, thats pretty much the only goal. fingers to the eye, biting, strikes to the groin are all fair game. Its all about survival, not looking good. No Katas, no tournaments, just self defense.

you'll learn some cool ground skills, more importantly, what to do if the fight goes to the ground god forbid, but not to specifically take the fight to the ground.

in a street fight, you really dont want to be on the ground wrestling. too many bad things can happen. if your on the ground, and the guy your fighting has friends, your screwed. Even before Krav, I was never a big fan of taking it to the ground, even using my size to my advantage.

nothing wrong with learning groundwork, as long as it aint all you know.

responding to Kingtut, I took Okinawan Karate and Tae Kwon Do for a little less than 2 years back in the day. I respect the traditional martial arts, but I learned more street applicable technique in 3 months of Krav than in all of my Karate experience in its entirety.
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited May 2007
    Pffft, I could kick your ****. :)
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    kingtut wrote: »
    Ohskigod, in term of practicality, which is more useful in a fight -- Krav Maga or Karate?

A gun, or a baseball bat is better!!! LOL
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    Pffft, I could kick your ****. :)

Yea so can I!!!:eek: :D
  • liordra
    liordra Posts: 152
    edited May 2007

When you do a roundhouse, does the earth 'shimmy' on its axis a little?

XOXOXOXO,
    Russ

Krav means fight (in this context, usually it means battle)
    Maga means contact. (but u need to pronounce it like the French, Emphasis on the ga)
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited May 2007
    Dave I just pictured you in a cheer leaders outfit waving pom poms and just heaved all over my keyboard!!!!

Joe thats just wrong so in many ways.
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited May 2007
    I've been thinking about getting into it myself. I've learned some great stuff in my guns and knife classes, but I need to round out the skills a little for some barehanded stuff.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited May 2007
    I wrestled for about 6-7 years and did 3-4 years of Hap-Ki-Do (Very similar to Krav Maga as I understand it). Of the two, I would much rather resort to the wrestling style than the joint locks/pressure points of the martial arts. Mostly it seems that martial arts assume the opponent doesn't know what the hell their doing (Few counters were taught, and virtually no counters to counters wer taught) were wrestling does. I would guess that Judo is the only better technique than greco-roman wrestling in a street fight without weapons. Any martial arts like Karate, Kung Fu, or Tai Kwan Do is relatively useless in a real 1 v 1 fight against an opponent with ground skills. Yes there are exceptions but if both fighters are comparaible in size, conditioning, and training, I'll go with the ground guy 100/100 times and twice on Sunday.

As a starting point, Krav Maga or Hap Ki Do is a great starting point. Combinations of locks, dissarmaments, throws, strikes, and weapons use. This would serve you well in about 90+% of any encounter you'd ever realistically find yourself in. Especially since those who know how to fight are VERY reluctant to ever do it "for real".

Example: In college I got pissed at a former golden gloves boxer (he was REALLY pissed) who outweighted me by 20+ lbs and we really went at it. One slipped jab into a double leg and his **** was mine and there wasn't a damn thing he could do about it and I knew it so i just locked down his limbs and embarrassed him until he figured out that I could destroy him at any time.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited May 2007
    ohskigod wrote: »

in a street fight, you really dont want to be on the ground wrestling. too many bad things can happen. if your on the ground, and the guy your fighting has friends, your screwed. Even before Krav, I was never a big fan of taking it to the ground, even using my size to my advantage.

nothing wrong with learning groundwork, as long as it aint all you know.

Fights ALWAYS go to the ground.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited May 2007

Wanna fight? :D I know where there is some nice soft grass....
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited May 2007
    These days, better to be well rounded. Jack of all trades, master of none, if you will.

QFT

<---wrestling, American Kickboxing and one Aikido move.
  • ohskigod
    edited May 2007

I wouldnt say always, but your not coming out of left field. you do always have to be ready if it does go to the ground despite your best efforts because it happens often. I'm just about getting off the ground instead of hanging out there.

Joe, if a gun or bat is available, I'm using them. I aint stupid :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• ohskigod
    edited May 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    Especially since those who know how to fight are VERY reluctant to ever do it "for real".

a VERY accurate statement.
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -