My Wife's Grandmom Passed!!!

2»

Comments

• Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited May 2007
    My Grandpa passed Thursday at the age of 90....He was on a slippery slope for a while, and one day he just woke up senile, basically...He didn't remember who two of his kids were, but he remembered my brother and I because my dad would tell him about us all the time...He was moved into a hospice Monday, and by Wednesday he was pretty bad...
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2007
    97 years of good! That is something to celebrate! Hang in there.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2007
    My Grandpa passed Thursday at the age of 90....He was on a slippery slope for a while, and one day he just woke up senile, basically...He didn't remember who two of his kids were, but he remembered my brother and I because my dad would tell him about us all the time...He was moved into a hospice Monday, and by Wednesday he was pretty bad...

Sorry to hear that Bill atleast he didn't linger long in hospice. Hospices if run correctly are really wonderful end of live entities. My mom was is the same Hospice as Nanny when she passed however she was there for two months.

That's a long time waiting for the Angels to come get ya. At least Nanny's and your Grandpa's wasnt' a long wait.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    joeparaski wrote: »
    My condolences to you and your family Joe. It's a pretty amazing thing to reach 97 and healthy. My dad has reached 90 years old, but Alzheimer is taking it's toll in a big way.

Joe

Alzheimers is a nasty illness. An old flame's dad had it. It is very sad. I'll pray for your dad and your family.
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited May 2007
    For all intents and purposes, my dad isn't there anymore, just a shell of the man he used to be. He doesn't recognize me anymore.

I had a very disturbing experience at work yesterday, so much so that I had to go in my office and cry. I was serving a customer, an elderly gentleman, that looked nearly identical to what my dad looked like 15 years ago.

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited May 2007
    I just have to say.....Alzheimers is absolutely the worst way to go. It is a despicable disease, it is a cruel joke that nature has come up with to destroy humans. If one must die, ANYTHING, is better than losing your identify, your self-awareness, your dignity and self-esteem. If I get Alzheimers in the future, I hope to have a 5 minute "aware" moment so I can kill myself.

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited May 2007
    There were Angels on the Vitas Hospice floor tonight at 10:30 PM EDT this evening as this beautiful 97 year old sweatheart, darling, lovely person of a woman went on to be with God :) and her loved ones who passed before her.

Phyllisann was there with her when she passed. I haven't know Nanny, as she was so affectionately called, more than a few years but fell in love with her the first day I met her. She was a very tough, sweet, loving person, she will be greatly missed.:(

This is the same tough old gal that one year ago this past March fell down head over heals 19 steps and came out with only a big black and blue mark. . . no broken bones, no sprains, no nothing!!! She was a miracle as was her long life.

Rest In Peace Nanny!!!

Joe,

I'm so sorry to hear this. Nanny will be in my thoughts and prayers. Give Phyllisann my sympathies.
    Carl

• fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited May 2007
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited May 2007
    Joe my condolences to you, Phyllisann and the rest of the family. If you need anything man feel free to call me bro. My phone is always on. Give Phyllisann a hug for me.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    Phyllisann is still in Philly with her family and is slated to come home today. . .she is going to be so touched when I show her how awesome you folks are.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited May 2007
    When I use to visit my now passed-on grandma, there was a little old lady who used to stand at the entrance of the home; dressed up, purse and sweater, waiting for her husband to pick her up. Her husband had been dead for 15 years. Heart-wrenching to say the least. I talked with her a few times, she was a sweety. When she would tell me her husband was coming, I would just nod and smile.

My mom told me that she did this every evening. Who knows, maybe a coping mechanism?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited May 2007
    Just got back from visiting with my mom and grandma. My gradma is 100 and in a nuring home. She has such bad alzheimers that she did not reconize me at all and asked my dad who i was. It was kind of rough to go through that.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    Fireman32 wrote: »
    Just got back from visiting with my mom and grandma. My gradma is 100 and in a nuring home. She has such bad alzheimers that she did not reconize me at all and asked my dad who i was. It was kind of rough to go through that.

I feel for you and Joe P. Nanny's mind was sharp as a tack even to the day she passed. I can't imagine seeing someone I love in that state. As I said in a previous post I experienced someone else's father with that horrible illness but it wasn't a relative of mine. I still felt it deep in my heart though.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    Nanny had Three Children;

Sixteen Grandchildren;

Twenty three Great Grandchildren; and,

Two Great, Great, Grandchildren.

Add to that all of the in-laws and I would say Nanny was very fruitful!!!
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited May 2007
    It's rough for someone close to not recognize you....Sometimes it can be rougher for you when they do...My grandpa couldn't remember his daughter's name, but would remember me because my dad would talk about me when he called....It was touching to hear he remembered to ask about me every time my dad called, but I know it was rough for my aunt when he would ask who she was, then asked how I was doing.....