Reading your old posts....

Comments

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited May 2007
    Wow I forgot about assembly, cobol, how about fortran or dsm-11, man I don't feel as alone in age here.

Don't forget about dBASEIV. I remember having to strip out a payroll program from an old Burrows computer, wire up a NULL modem cable and transfer the print job to a file on a PC. Then write a strip-out program in "C" to transfer the data into a delimited file so that I could then transfer the data into a manageable database format. After that, duplicate the entire program in dBASEIV so the school board could use the same program on a PC.

Hell, we could start our own thread on this stuff.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2007
    janmike wrote: »
    Burrows computer,

Burrows!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa you old bastage!!!!
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    Hell, we could start our own thread on this stuff.

You ain't shittin bro. The first computer we got to mess with in tech school was an old IBM TUBED computer. It took up half of a pretty good sized room. The best part of this is that the power supply was in another room, the tubes looked like paint cans and it was twice the size of the computer. Man it was hotter than all hell when they fired them up. BTW it took almost two hours to warm up if it was ever powered down.
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 819
    edited May 2007
    I had no idea you guys loved me so much!

You guys ROCK! ;)

beware SID, some of these guys are confessing to **** tendencies.
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • janmike
    edited May 2007
    Hey, if you are going to the PF in October we will be able "geek" talk for hours.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,571
    edited May 2007
    Haha... reminds of me of this story a customer told me...

"I was at a construction site, bunch of workers out there. There was this one guy that had the biggest smile, ALL the time. A guy on the site came up to me and asked me "So you like em eh?" "No, not really." "He ****! *flipping his wrist down*" "I know he's ****...something is obviously wrong with that man."

Ill be at the PF - but talking "geek" may not be cool. Haha.

Crazy stuff, imagine a bucket of paint - with no paint in it.

That would make it an empty bucket.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • janmike
    edited May 2007
    For you Sid we will reserve 10 minutes to discuss Sieve of Eratosthenes. Sounds like fun doesn't it.

...Or a bucket with a place to hold something else.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2007
    steveinaz wrote: »
    umm, not to be a grammar **** but you misspelled ****....:D

steveinaz, you're a bright educated guy.. i expected better than this of you. If you don't know what I am talking about.. reread your post.

hint.. the word begins with "f" and ends in "g" and has an "a" in the middle. :mad:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,668
    edited May 2007
    Don't forget about dBASEIV.

Siemens installed a Building Automation System 3 years ago for monitoring one of our new buildings.

In the bid specifications for the project, our "Powers That Be" specified dBaseIV for database software. (think somebody might have copied an old job spec sheet ? :rolleyes: ).

I kind of got a kick out of that. During the punch list phase, I kept prodding our contract people to INSIST that Siemens provide dBaseIV. :)

Figured it would be fun to see how non-functional, non-standard, totally FUBAR'd we could get this proprietary Siemens junk (Apogee 600).

dBaseIV would have been the cornerstone. Unfortunately, we never got it.

:)
    Sal Palooza
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited May 2007
    Once I posted about substituting different mid-woofers and folks said I was loony. After thinking about it for awhile I realized that they were right. I am loony and the original mid-woofers are where they should be.

Sid the DIY kid. Without all your previous projects, your "TV stand" would not have been as easy to build or come out half as good. Keep up the good work and your photos.

I have great respect for members that came in here with a one-way attitude, listened to different ideas and finally settled in. There's been a couple while I've been here and I can't remember all of their names, but they have become assets to our community.

Someday more people will understand that the words **** and **** are not loose adjectives. A pack of cigarettes (in British English speaking countries) or a mood that you are in (anywhere) is perfectly fine. We've talked about this often enough here, and I'm not talking PC. Derogatory use of these words is lame.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    Siemens installed a Building Automation System 3 years ago for monitoring one of our new buildings.

Is this the same Siemens that absorbed SMS (Shared Medical Systems)?
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited May 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    steveinaz, you're a bright educated guy.. i expected better than this of you. If you don't know what I am talking about.. reread your post.

hint.. the word begins with "f" and ends in "g" and has an "a" in the middle. :mad:

Didn't mean it in an offensive way, a grammar **** is somebody who constantly corrects other peoples use of grammar, spelling, etc. Don't read into it. I apologize if you (or anyone else) were offended, there was no malicious intent brother.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited May 2007
    No Geeking at Polkfest, except Joe as he has a special Geek Union Card.

Audio Nerding is acceptable.

No Nerding about computers though.

Kapish???????

Random Thinking is highly encouraged.

RT1
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited May 2007
    My posts are still ****, however, I have learned a lot.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited May 2007
    I went back and read some of my old posts about a year ago...jeez....what an idiot
  • steveinaz
    edited May 2007
    Sid...you're an ICON man.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    edited May 2007
    Folk's, lets not make a mountain out of a mole hill:

****: Noun; 1) A Drudge. 2) A student in a British school that does menial tasks for an upper classmen.
    ****: Verb; 1) To work to exhaustion; toil.

Before you get overly upset about a word, you need to first understand it's meaning. If I offended any British students, drudges, or people who work to exhaustion and toil, again, I apologize. I used the word "****" in the context of a "geek" (see "toil" "drudge") or someone who is so busy picking something apart, that they missed the intended message. Furthermore, I referred to myself as a grammar ****. I think knowledge, understanding, and a little thicker skin is in order. PC I'm not, never have been, never will be--I don't make any apologies for that, it's who I am take it or leave it. I do apologize if you misunderstood my intent, I would never knowingly offend anyone; you should know that about me.
  • Polk65
    edited May 2007
    Roger. Remember these words existed before they became "modern" words. I'm just going by what I've encountered in life. It's not essentially a double standard but problematic of chatting. With our buds we can share a joke about anything. Sometimes though we get too loose and from day one I believe this is what happened to Imus.

Sid may have the numbers but the guy with the hearing impediment is closing in fast. :p
  • PolkThug
    edited May 2007

****: Noun; 1) A Drudge. 2) A student in a British school that does menial tasks for an upper classmen.

Before you get overly upset about a word, you need to first understand it's meaning. If I offended any British students, drudges, or people who work to exhaustion and toil, again, I apologize. I used the word "****" in the context of a "geek" (see "toil" "drudge") or someone who is so busy picking something apart, that they missed the intended message. Furthermore, I referred to myself as a grammar ****. I think knowledge, understanding, and a little thicker skin is in order. PC I'm not, never have been, never will be--I don't make any apologies for that, it's who I am take it or leave it. I do apologize if you misunderstood my intent, I would never knowingly offend anyone; you should know that about me.

STFU cracker!

crack·er -noun 1. a thin, crisp biscuit.

STFU -acronym 1. Star Trek Federation University

Before you get overly upset about a word, you need to first understand it's meaning. If I offended any saltines, or trekkies, I apologize.
  • steveinaz
    edited May 2007
    It's all in the context, right? I bet if you showed the Phrase "SFTU cracker" to a 60yr old, they'd have no idea what you were saying, or what message you were trying to convey, let alone be offended by it...get my point?

It's one thing for you to say "I'm a fat pig." It's quite another to say "You're a fat pig" correct?
  • Polk65
    edited May 2007
    No problemo. There are some newbies here that don't know us. No need to check into rehab. :p

Thuggy... no fair. You know the Romulan's and security officers wearing red always got the shaft.
  • PolkThug
    edited May 2007
    To this day, I NEVER wear a red shirt when beaming down to other planets.
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited May 2007
    My first post asked about what i should kind of speakers I should get..

I had a Kenwood AVR, 13 year-old Infinity bookshelf speakers, cs400i center, Bose surrounds, and an 8" Velodyne sub..and a 36" analog tv

most told me to sell everything and match the cs400i:D

At first i was frustrated with the replies as I didnt think my stuff was THAT bad..but you all were only trying to help..

well...

now I still have the cs400i...I bought rt800i's off Ebay, fx300's off Ebay..so I have a complete matching Polk setup...

I also bought a SVS sub and a Pioneer Elite receiver..

Not to mention that I just bought a new Sony LCD

Thanks for making my wallet lighter everyone.!!!:o
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • steveinaz
    edited May 2007
    Hey, these folk's love to spend other peoples money...you should be frustrated.
  • PolkThug
    edited May 2007
    krabby5 wrote: »
    My first post asked about what i should kind of speakers I should get..

All your base are belong to us.
  • danger boy
    edited May 2007

C'mon now steve.. now you're mocking me. you know damn well what the term **** means in 2007. we are not in British school.. and you did not use the term in to mean "toil" or "drudge" .

You used it as a insult.. as in "i don't want to be a grammar ****" but you misspelled ****. What if you replace the word **** and use the "N" word in it's place? Hmmmm? that would be offensive to some members of this forum.. and i bet you $20 you would never use the "N" word in here.

I know and get the humor in this thread... other members have called each other homo's or **** residents of Utah... .but in that context it's humor.. in the context you use the word **** it's an insult. Meaning, you'd never want to be considered a "grammar ****" because people would look down upon you for being so anal as a grammar ****.

The thing is steve, you're just adding fuel to the fire.. lots of people read this forum... and now it's ok to call people ****. We no longer use the "N" word in our day to day conversations, why then when putting something or someone down is it ok to call it **** or ****?

I'm not overly sensitive.. after 43 yrs of hearing every derogatory term that other people use to describe me.. i have a thick skin. I also have a sense of humor. I had no problem with anything said in this thread till you used the word **** and how you used it. Even though you were talking about yourself.. here again, why use the term "grammar ****"? You were putting yourself down.. i realize that.. but in turn you are also putting **** people down, because you are calling making them out to be anal about grammar because they are ****.

I know some people reading this won't "get it", and it's ok..
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited May 2007
    Hahahaha. If this weren't all so sad and true, and such an accurate commentary on today's society, this forum would be soo funny.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • steveinaz
    edited May 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    C'mon now steve.. now you're mocking me. you know damn well what the term **** means in 2007. we are not in British school.. and you did not use the term in to mean "toil" or "drudge" .

You used it as a insult.. as in "i don't want to be a grammar ****" but you misspelled ****. What if you replace the word **** and use the "N" word in it's place? Hmmmm? that would be offensive to some members of this forum.. and i bet you $20 you would never use the "N" word in here.

I know and get the humor in this thread... other members have called each other homo's or **** residents of Utah... .but in that context it's humor.. in the context you use the word **** it's an insult. Meaning, you'd never want to be considered a "grammar ****" because people would look down upon you for being so anal as a grammar ****.

The thing is steve, you're just adding fuel to the fire.. lots of people read this forum... and now it's ok to call people ****. We no longer use the "N" word in our day to day conversations, why then when putting something or someone down is it ok to call it **** or ****?

I'm not overly sensitive.. after 43 yrs of hearing every derogatory term that other people use to describe me.. i have a thick skin. I also have a sense of humor. I had no problem with anything said in this thread till you used the word **** and how you used it. Even though you were talking about yourself.. here again, why use the term "grammar ****"? You were putting yourself down.. i realize that.. but in turn you are also putting **** people down, because you are calling making them out to be anal about grammar because they are ****.

I know some people reading this won't "get it", and it's ok..

Ok, fair enough--original edited. I'm disappointed that you don't know me better to know that it was not meant in that context.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited May 2007
    WTF? I missed the left turn to Albuquerque apparently....

I "get it", I just don't see it being that big of a deal.

That kind of doesn't work. Seems like it is either insulting all of the time or none of the time. I don't really care either way, but your own standards of what is funny and what is offensive seem to be blurred. I understand the "context" argument you are making, but I'd bet if you said "he's a homo" in a joking context in front of a **** guy, he wouldn't appreciate it any more than he would "grammar ****".

I dunno, seems like much ado about nothing, but I'll put my hands in my pockets and stroll away whistling now.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • danger boy
    edited May 2007
    read the last line of my mega post jflail2... 'some people won't "get it".' no biggie..

steve we're cool. I 1,0000000000000000% understood the context in which your post was intended.. but i just didn't like it and was offended. that's the bottom line.

end of story.. lets all move along in single file.... nothing to see here... ;)