Barry Bonds and 755

2»

Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited May 2007
    When Bonds breaks the record I'll buy some Gold Bond and dust my balls to show how much I care.

Gold_Bond_Triple_Action_Medicated_Body_Powder-resized200.jpg
  • jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited May 2007
    I'm sorry, but it's baseball. IMO, it ranks right up there with golf on the sports scale. It's fun to play, but the most boring thing in the world to watch.

Now, as for Bonds, who cares? Break the record, pack it up, and retire already.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited May 2007
    No Dragon... I think you misunderstood me:) I'm talking about the "All-Time HR" record being the most vaunted record in any sport.

I just can't thing of any other record that is as cherished and gushed over as this one.

Sorry, I was just 'scanning' todays posts and obviously missed something :o
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited May 2007
    Hitting a 95 MPH fastball and anything else that is thrown up there is a talent. They pay millions of dollars to people who can do it 25% of the time. I never said that I condoned cheating, nor do I think he could've done it w/out the 'roids. I was just stating that he has talent and probably would've hit 500 w/out cheating.
    The problem is he's never formally been caught(inadvertent, I believe) and there's still the elephant in the room(he's black).
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited May 2007
    daboyz wrote: »
    The problem is he's never formally been caught(inadvertent, I believe) and there's still the elephant in the room(he's black).

I swear, people will throw the race card out on anything. Ridiculous!
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited May 2007
    Well, we wouldn't want a black man to have the most coveted record in baseball, right?

What? Hank Aaron was black? Oh. Right. So where does race come into this again?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited May 2007
    Unfortunately it is Barry's character (or lack of) that cheapens his acomplishment not his race.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited May 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Well, we wouldn't want a black man to have the most coveted record in baseball, right?

What? Hank Aaron was black? Oh. Right. So where does race come into this again?

Game, set, match Bobman:D

Seriously... if Griffey was chasing down the record, do you think whitey would still have it out for him? To say this is an issue of race is to to avoid making eye contact with the real elephant/mastadon in the room. And that is the fact that Barry Bonds is an A-S-S-H-O-L-E.(period).....

And where was race an issue when everyone was cheering him on to break a white McGwire's single season HR record?

Absolutely asinine.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited May 2007
    daboyz wrote: »
    Hitting a 95 MPH fastball and anything else that is thrown up there is a talent. They pay millions of dollars to people who can do it 25% of the time. I never said that I condoned cheating, nor do I think he could've done it w/out the 'roids. I was just stating that he has talent and probably would've hit 500 w/out cheating.

Yeah, and OJ is still searching for the real killer.
  • TennesseeOutlaw
    TennesseeOutlaw Posts: 414
    edited May 2007
    I voted, "dont care." And I dont.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited May 2007
    I love sports. I played several sports in my youth (pretty much only a golfer now), coached at rec level and elite travel ball level, watched my kids play through high school and into college. I'm not a huge fan of pro sports anymore but still watch some. I follow college and high school baseball, softball, volleyball, golf, basketball and football and attend games regularly. I consider myself a competitive person and my kids are as well (one in particular).

As much as I enjoy them, as a society we take sports way too seriously. Parents living vicariously through their kids accomplishments, living and dying based on the outcome of a sporting event, revering someone because of their ability to "play", etc...

To me....the most enjoyable aspect of sporting event is to watch two competitors (or teams) play hard, play well and when it is over, sincerely congratulate each other regardless of the outcome for a hard-fought competition. Maybe I am the one that is naive...but it is great to see two athletes in different uniforms after a game (regardless of the level) talking and enjoying the friendship...and not being able to tell who won or lost.

In the end....they are just games. No matter what happens or who gets what record or who acomplishes this or loses that...SO WHAT? Life goes on.

I voted I don't care....because I really don't.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited May 2007
    Seriously... if Griffey was chasing down the record, do you think whitey would still have it out for him? To say this is an issue of race is to to avoid making eye contact with the real elephant/mastadon in the room. And that is the fact that Barry Bonds is an A-S-S-H-O-L-E.(period)......

I agree with you, but the thing is, Griffey is still kind of an ****, but just to the baseball press. I think its kind of funny. He calls them out when they are trying to make too much out of a stupid small story. Its a real shame that Griffey has spent so much time being injured. I would love for him to hold the record.

He was Seattle's first superstar, and we miss him.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited August 2007
    While it is the "most important" record (ie the one people are most interested in; everybody loves the long ball) there are a couple that would be much more difficult to surpass in my mind.
    My vote would be for Orel Hershiser's 59 straight scoreless innings. Though the fact that it was set semi-recently in 1988 diminishes its mystique.

Can I retract my submission after watching Brandon Webb last pitch against the Bravos? 42 scoreless innings?!? He's crushing right now.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore