Anyone else up for a Bay Area(SF) GTG???

Ron Temple
Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
Steve (Polk65) and I are talking about hooking up shortly and that brought about the question of other BA polkies that might like to eat/drink and share. I know that Beardog, Gregure, ivansfo, fredv, trubluluc and maybe some others are fairly close.

Any interest sometime this summer? ... I've got a pool :D

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
PB13Ultra RO
BW Silvers
Oppo BDP-83SE
Post edited by Ron Temple on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited May 2007
    Damn...wish I was closer.The pool alone sounds inviting.
    Spare room come with the pool??
    Have fun boy's and enjoy the music.:)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited May 2007
    Ron's prototype floating lounge chair with built-in SurroundBar is ready just in time for summer.
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited May 2007
    Ron Temple wrote: »
    Steve (Polk65) and I are talking about hooking up shortly :D

Ron guys dont HOOK up unless their the richard simmons type of guys :)
    .Not that I have anything agaisnt that :D
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • Ron Temple
    edited May 2007
    JimBRICK wrote: »
    Ron guys dont HOOK up unless their the richard simmons type of guys :)
    .Not that I have anything agaisnt that :D
    We are talking about the SF Bay Area...;)

No responses from locals???

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited May 2007
    I didn't see ths thread. This sounds good, I can bring some tubes :-) However,
    please please don't plan between 5/31 - 6/10, I will be on vacation with the family, and I don't want to miss this event .....

-fredv-
  • Ron Temple
    edited May 2007
    Hey Fred,

I was wondering if anyone saw this thread...no plans yet and I'm having some remodeling done. If we do it here and have a pool party (gee that sounds swell:D ), I'll need some time to get the house and yard back in shape.

Hopefully some others will chime in as well...

Calling trubluluc, Beardog, ivansfo, gregure ... and any others I've forgotten.

BTW that sub I contacted you about...bought the box and made an SVS out of it...sweet.

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • fredv
    edited May 2007
    Hi Ron,

I didn't see this thread at the beginning, but thanks for Steve's PM.
    Your friend's sub was really nice, but I just had to guts to bring in another
    sizeable gear without first clearing some space first :-)

-fredv-
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited May 2007
    How did I miss this one?

Thanks to Polk65's PM reminder. I am up for it and I can bring over some tunes on SACD.
  • fredv
    edited May 2007
    Danny,

Are you in Castro Valley? If so, we are really close. My parents live in Hayward, so I commute between Hayward and Fremont quite often!!

-fredv-
  • Ron Temple
    edited May 2007
    Danny,

My Oppo only plays DVD A, but you're welcome to bring any tunes...let's get a few more to chime in and start discussing dates.

BTW, it doesn't have to be here...just offering.

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited May 2007
    Sounds like fun..!
    I just need to have a date to
    see what the schedual looks like before i can totally commit..

I can bring my Cary(s)

Steve (Polk65) i ned you to pm your # again...I can`t find it
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • Ron Temple
    edited May 2007
    Hows about somewhere from mid-June or mid July shape up for everyone. Weekends are no problem, also the house is available most Tuesday evenings.

PM me an optimal weekend and we can start narrowing it down. I'm open until August.

RT

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • Ron Temple
    edited May 2007
    STeve (Polk 65) and I hooked up...it was soooo goooood...sorry Steve. As expected from CPers, all I provided was some beer. Steve surprised me with a dropoff of a couple of CRS+s to play with, the famous $15 RS amp and some decent cables (still not sure what they are, but he got them from here). We hooked up the CRS's direct from the RS amp, then the Carver, then the 1Cs direct (seemed to bring them alive another level with no AVR in the way). Steve seems to like chicks, brought some Vanessa Williams, who I'd love to bang (sorry girls), but never thought had that much talent...I was wrong...some early Madonna too...we played around with Pulse in 2 channel getting surprising results from the CRSs without a sub...back and forth...had some fun. Steve's a great guy and had some great suggestions about the BA GTG...share them later.

It's great to meet a member of the community and it's sure nice to get the benefits. I'll try to pass it along wherever I can.

Help me pick a date from mid-June to mid-July, so all us locals can share...

Thanks Steve.

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited May 2007
    short story: we noodled.

long story: Ron should have chalked where his speakers once lay.

We hit it off and had a groovy time talking shop while swapping gear until way after the sun went down with MIT Terminator 5 speaker cables. Is it cables or the path? Since you have had the 1C's hooked up for several months it will be interesting to hear your impression.

I brought over a few cd's starting with Billy Ocean's - Caribbean Queen then some female singers for sibilance check. The Madonna cd is the red cover "You can dance" remix album with a couple of tracks that reach out. After some Vanessa Williams I grabbed the Alive! 2006 DTS demo disc from my magic bag. Ron said he already had this but we played the Robots and Omar Hakim clips. Next was Pink Floyd's PULSE dvd which Ron said he also had but that didn't stop us from enjoying several songs from both sides, several times. Ron played some Porcupine Tree, Sarah McLachlan, Alan Parsons Project and a bunch of other artists for a good mix. Deee-Lite was also there but unfortunately didn't play.

War of the worlds with it's deep bass and Ron's honking big subs helped push the pizza and beer through our intestines. His cats are ultra cool and speaker friendly; zero signs of cat scratch fever. While the music plays they are laid back and snooze but when the music stops or a door is opened they quickly assume attack positions at every door.

SDA 1C's -- this was my first opportunity to hear them in home for an extended period of time. Ron's current corner setup is not a healthy SDA environment but if you sit on the right edge of the sofa and lean over to the right a little bit you can find a narrow sweet spot. He is aware of this and plans are to relocate this rig to another room that has a nice wide wall. With that said, I was impressed with the 1C's capability and surprised by the soundstage of a medium sized SDA. On just about every song I noticed sibilance but I attribute this to listening to SL3000's every day. Maybe the RDO replacements will clear this up.

At first we tried a Carver TFM-35 with a HK receiver in 6-ch direct as a pre. I didn't feel or hear the usual tactile presence that SDA's normally deliver. There was literally a heavy veil separating the sound that I am accustomed to.

Next was the Oppo -> Radio Shack amp -> CRS+ that HI is currently giving away.
    The veil dropped somewhat but there was a loss of midrange and bass. This amp cuts off at 50Hz but pre-amp or power output mods may make a significant difference.

I'm not sure what Ron hooked up next but I think it was the Oppo -> Audiosource w/o the HK pre. The veil was still dropped with an increase in both mid and bass. Maybe he can fill in the blanks. The 1C's have much more of a presence than the CRS+ in both midrange and bass. This difference is night and day. We both agreed that the CRS+ would be awesome in a 2.1 configuration.
  • Ron Temple
    edited May 2007
    It's great to hear your thoughts Steve, though we did discuss this.

Sibilance: This is something I've suffered from the R50s and RTi8s. I felt it minimal with 1Cs, something I could live with for awhile and thought the Carver was defeating alot of it. Now you tell me that you're not suffering any or very little with the SL3000s, so it looks like I'd better place that RDO order.

Path: Using the HK as a pre/pro has never been a problem for me using cheap ICs and Home Depot wire, until yesterday when we took it out of the path, Oppo to Carver via MIT Terminator 5 cable to both the CRS+ and the 1Cs. It sure kicked each speaker up a notch, expanding the soundstage (which was big before), punching up the clarity and especially bass response. Steve, asked me if we had the subs in the path. Nope...in fact, I noticed little difference with the subs in the path, except on PFs "Sorrow" which has some deeeeep bass tracks.

GTG: I'm thinking Saturday 6/23 or 6/30...either weekend works for me...let me know your schedules, if other dates make more sense, I can accomodate through August.

Steve has had more experience and suggested setting up another system which makes sense if people are bringing in gear to swapout. I'm adding a Luxman amp and pre, but will need another transport. It's too much of a hassle for me to breakup the HT. It's not a quick or easy process.

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • fredv
    edited May 2007
    Hey, sounds like you guys have great fun, I am jealous :-)
    Both dates look good to me (I think dad's day is 6/16 ....) I can bring in a couple external DAC's and a cheap cd player as transport. I sold my Lux amp but
    still have the class A pre which has been boxed for quite some time. I can bring that as well as my modded RS int amp just for fun factor. Will bring some cables that I use, all are categorized as affordable and good bang for the bucks.

-fredv-
  • Ron Temple
    edited May 2007
    Sounds good Fred...I'll try to keep this thread up towards the top for a couple of days so others can chime in...when the date is set I'll start another thread to talk about, food, drink, equipment and space...

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • Ron Temple
    edited May 2007
    bump

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • Ron Temple
    edited May 2007
    bump again...

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited May 2007
    Hey Ron-

Steve just sent me a heads up. Hell yeah....I'm in.

-Luc
  • Ron Temple
    edited May 2007
    trubluluc wrote: »
    Hey Ron-

Steve just sent me a heads up. Hell yeah....I'm in.

-Luc
    Luc has surfaced...:D ...which date?

RT

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • trubluluc
    edited May 2007
    I typically work Saturdays, so I would need it far enough out to request off.
    So I'm voting for the 30th.

-Luc
  • trubluluc
    edited May 2007
    ....Ron, are you going to get a sticky thread going in the "Gatherings" section?
  • Ron Temple
    edited May 2007
    Good idea...I'll repost over there, but I'm not sure how to do a Sticky...have to ask someone.

So does the 30th make everyone's schedule?

RT

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • ivansfo
    ivansfo Posts: 145
    edited May 2007
    Hi Ron,

Just got word of this event. Didn't even know I had a PM from Steve until today! And this is not a sub forum I browse regularly.

My schedule is very tight these days but I will try to stop by if my wife is willing to watch the 2 kids alone for a few hours. So put me down as tentative.

As far as equipment, I'm in transition now. Sold off the Vienna Bachs a few month ago and have been kicking around some ideas on what to get next. My only Polks are a pair of R15s in the garage.

If there is interest, only thing I can offer to bring is a Bryston 9B-THX 5 channel amp.

Ivan
  • Ron Temple
    edited May 2007
    Sold off the VA's already??? Ivan you're always welcome, just come down and have fun...

Anybody know how to post a sticky ? or wait for Justin to get back to me ?

RT

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • trubluluc
    edited May 2007
    Yeah...Justin weilds the power supreme. Just PM him and he'll make it happen, he's pretty responsive.
    I was thinking Mr. Musicman (Mike) isn't far away either, Hollister I think.

-Luc

Sold off the VA's already??? Ivan you're always welcome, just come down and have fun...

Anybody know how to post a sticky ? or wait for Justin to get back to me ?

RT
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited May 2007
    So does the 30th make everyone's schedule?

Sounds good to me.
  • Ron Temple
    edited May 2007
    Sounds like the 30th is getting popular...as soon as Justin replies to my PM, we'll start getting organized.

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • fredv
    edited May 2007
    I think we can start a thread there and make it sticky later. There ain't that many threads, the new thread will be in the first page :-)

-fredv-