Man...........beer Hurts

2»

Comments

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,711
    edited May 2007
    There is so much going on in your body when you drink alcohol, there is no way to simplify it. I don't care if its microbrew, champagne, vodka, or PBR, if you drink enough of anything, you're going to have some kind of hangover.

No matter what you drink, your body gets dehydrated because 1) alcohol is a diuretic, and 2) your body steals water to metabolize alcohol. The amount of dehydration depends greatly on what you are drinking, how fast you are drinking, how long you are drinking, and of course, your environment (sweating on the beach or chilling in your AC'd house).

The intensity of the hangover varies greatly (and I speak from 20 years of drinking experience). I can drink the same thing on different nights and have different hangovers. One of the worst hangovers I ever had was from 2 glasses of wine (I was dehydrated from working around our new house and skipped dinner).

Not many know this, but heavy alcohol consumption also turns your body hypoglycemic, which only adds to the problem. Drinks with high residual sugar are often linked to bad hangovers.

Also, the liver doesn't just turn alchohol into harmless stuff, your body ends up with excess amounts of acetealdehyde, NADH, and acetic acid and a slew of other potential metabolic problems.
    642alcoholmetab.gif
    In other words, saying dehydration is the only cause of a hangover is simply not true.

Bottom line, if you don't want a hangover, don't drink (or keep it to less than 1 drink per hour).

If you do have a hangover, fluids, rest, and time, are really the only things that will get you past it. Ibuprofin (advil) can help and is the only pain reliever you should use after drinking. Interactions with acetaminophen are well known, and asprin causes too much stomach irritation.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited May 2007
    Beer is funny .... that makes up for all the bad things ;)
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited May 2007
    I guess the 1 cure that hasn't been mentioned here is the hair of the dog that bit you............but that is stepping down a slippery slope towards alcoholism.

I just had to give up drinking; I can't go to work and function properly at 8am even if I have just 1 or 2 beers the night before. For some reason, even after just a couple, my head is fuzzy/funky. I have to be on my toes as soon as I get in the office, so drinking is right out.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited May 2007
    tonyb wrote: »
    Joe....thats for wimps
    Haven't you read the man rule book???

I have to check, but I think man law allows for a drink the next day to reduce hangovers. See the section that covers "Hair of the dog that bit you" It may be listed only as "hair of the dog". This is for beer and liquer only as drinking wine first thing in the morning dose not look very manly and would give you the outward apperance of being womanly (aka: a ****)
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2007
    MSALLA wrote: »
    I have to check, but I think man law allows for a drink the next day to reduce hangovers. See the section that covers "Hair of the dog that bit you" It may be listed only as "hair of the dog". This is for beer and liquer only as drinking wine first thing in the morning dose not look very manly and would give you the outward apperance of being womanly (aka: a ****)

Ugh just the thought of wine in morning makes a hangover look appealing.
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited May 2007
    jflail2 wrote: »
    I guess the 1 cure that hasn't been mentioned here is the hair of the dog that bit you............but that is stepping down a slippery slope towards alcoholism.

I just had to give up drinking; I can't go to work and function properly at 8am even if I have just 1 or 2 beers the night before. For some reason, even after just a couple, my head is fuzzy/funky. I have to be on my toes as soon as I get in the office, so drinking is right out.

I haven't quit all together, but I won't drink on a worknight anymore for pretty much the same reasons. If I have a few, I feel crappy aftwards, and I can't stand going to work feeling like I drank the night before.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    Not to be a crumudgeon here but feeling crappy after a few drinks is a warning sign.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited May 2007
    Not to be a crumudgeon here but feeling crappy after a few drinks is a warning sign.

Hah, indeed it is. It is a warning sign that says "Oy! You drank way too much for way too many years. Put the bottle down and slowly back away."

So I listened and don't really drink anymore. I might have the occasional beer or 2, but as a whole I am done.

And I love the usage of curmudgeon :)
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    jflail2 wrote: »
    It is a warning sign that says "Oy! You drank way too much for way too many years.

Key words, "You drank way too much for way too many years."
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited May 2007
    Feeling crappy means I don't like getting a buzz and having it wear off, I'd rather not drink then do that. It just makes me tired and lazy. Besides, I'm not a stop for a couple after work kind of guy.

Now on Fri nights if I don't have any responsibilities on Sat, I'm not afraid to crack a few.....
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited May 2007

That you're drinking crappy beer :rolleyes:
    Seriously, I suppose the 'poison' affects different people in different ways. If it affects you negatively I guess you just have to live with it. About the only general statement you can make is that anything in excess is not a good thing, with 'excess' being dependant on many other factors.
    All other things being equal however, and as mentioned on some of these, here are some great guidelines to follow to at least lessen your hangover-ish feeling and to live a long happy life.
    1) Start off hydrated
    2) Don't drink on an empty stomach, but not a too full one either
    3) Don't combine alcohol with sweetened mixers and/or don't drink pre-packaged sweetened alcoholic beverages! Or at least don't drink more than a couple this way. That sugar/alcohol mix is a sure-fire way to a headache even before the next morning comes. Alcohol and processed sugar do not mix.
    4) Mass produced beer, whether imported or not, has additives, preservatives and adjuncts (cheaper ingredients) that a) for one thing bastardize the brewing process...they shouldn't even be allowed to call it beer...maybe a beer-like product. Believe me, what we (most Americans) drink is not "beer" (see German Beer Purity Law) b) are guaranteed to give you a headache even before the next morning (kind of like sugar/alcohol mix)
    5) Have a glass of water every few drinks. In fact drink lots of water daily!
    6) Don't drink too fast
    7) If you drink a lot, have your doctor keep an eye on your liver. Some people can drink excessively and never have a problem and some can't. But if you do you better catch it early.
    8) Don't drink and drive!

Link to German Beer Purity Law info
    http://www.american.edu/TED/germbeer.htm

You're welcome :D
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones