Man...........beer Hurts

JimBRICK
JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
Why does beer have to hurt so much the next day?????

Went to an awesome housewarming party last night, first time since college I saw a Keg in a washtub at a party.

NEEDLES TO SAY "Frank the tank" came out HAHA
2 CHANNEL
Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
Under construction
Post edited by JimBRICK on

Comments

• MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited May 2007
    I went to a Cinco De Mayo party last night at my brothers house and there was @ 80 people there. Awesome party , we did not get home until 2:30. Drank my fair share of Cerveza. Felt a bit off this morning also.

To answer your question keg beer always hurts more the next day than bottled beer.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited May 2007
    Had a Cinco De Mayo party also.Progresive no less,appetisers at my house,go to the neighbors for dinner,go to another neighbors for dessert.Needless to say,lots of downed margarita's gave me a splitting headache today.Next neighborhood party,let's hear it...Toga...Toga...Toga....

I love my neighbors!!
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2007
    Beer hangovers are caused by one or all of three things:

1. Dehydration

2. Sugar Overdose which causes dehydration

3. So much alcohol has been injested that alcohol withdrawl occurs.

Fortunately you can do something about 1 & 2 before the next day occurs. Before going to bed drink 3 pints of water (sometimes hard to do but necessary) and a couple of your favorite analgesic i.e. Tylenol, aspirin, Advil.

#3 can be attacked after the fact by drinking one or two of whatever you drank the night before. It will stop the headache and that shakey feeling.

These are tried and true band-aids for over imbibing. Guaranteed to work better than not doing them.:D :p
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited May 2007
    Joe....thats for wimps
    Haven't you read the man rule book???
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    I must have been a wimp most of my life then cause I would do anything other than not drinking to avoid a hangover. . . they were the worst!!!

I wrote my own man rule book!!! LOL!:p
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited May 2007
    Watch out using Tylenol when you are drunk. You could potentially damage your liver! DO NOT exceed the recommended dosage.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Watch out using Tylenol when you are drunk. You could potentially damage your liver! DO NOT exceed the recommended dosage.

Cath, that is an oxymoron!!! LOL
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2007
    I didn't have any beer or alcohol at all. i FEEL GOOD!!!!
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited May 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »

Do not combine drinking alcohol and Tylenol at any doses. The two are metabolized by the same enzyme system in the liver. When the liver runs out of substrate to complete the metabolic process the Tylenol is left to damage the liver.
  • JimBRICK
    edited May 2007
    did I mention I'm at work too BLAH

4 500ml bottles of water in 2 hours and feeling better :)
    2 CHANNEL
    Under construction
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited May 2007
    If you drink fresh, no preservative micro-brew you wouldn't have that problem, damn near no matter how much you drink. Speaking for myself at least. Preservative, additive laced beer gives me a headache after drinking only 2, let alone getting drunk on it :rolleyes:
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • JimBRICK
    edited May 2007
    I didnt get drunk....................I indulged to excess :)
    2 CHANNEL
    Under construction
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,805
    edited May 2007
    Cath, that is an oxymoron!!! LOL

No dude, call me a killjoy but her warning is dead serious. Tylenol can mess you up to the point where you need a liver transplant. Ask anyone in a medial profession and they will tell you the same. Tylenol will also mess up your stomach. Ibuprofen (Advil), Naproxen (Aleve) and aspirin (Bayer) are not as serious as acetaminophen but can still cause you problems too. However, it is not recommended to administer any pain killer with alcohol. Tylenol can cause liver and stomach problems all by itself though. Alcohol will increase those problems. It will also cause liver and stomach issues with Ibuprofen. Alcohol and Aspirin can cause severe stomach bleeding and ulcers. Naproxen and alcohol can lead to heart attacks or stroke. I wouldn't use any pain killers until the next morning when most of the alcohol has been passed through your system. Painkillers get metabolized in your liver which is also where alcohol goes too. They get in there and overload the liver, it leads to liver toxicity. Liver cells start to die off and if too many die off, it goes necrotic which basically means your liver is rotting inside you. Not a position you want to be in over a night of heavy drinking.

The water idea, that's a good one though and has worked for me. I start it earlier though. I usually drink and entire glass of water every few drinks through out the night. Also, forget about the whole "break the seal" BS. Go to the bathroom early and often. Your body is only trying to regulate itself and remove the poison from your system. Holding it only makes things worse.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    edited May 2007
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    If you drink fresh, no preservative micro-brew you wouldn't have that problem, damn near no matter how much you drink. Speaking for myself at least. Preservative, additive laced beer gives me a headache after drinking only 2, let alone getting drunk on it :rolleyes:

Some info...
    Headaches

About seven million adults in the U.S. suffer from headaches at least every other day. Frequent headache is more prevalent among women than men, but not as pronounced as it is with migraine headaches.
    {Headache 1998, in mercola.com - August 2002}

Migraines are closely linked to red wines and champagnes.
    {"The Natural Way of Healing Chronic Pain," Teresa DiGeronimo, editor, plus 6 other authors, 1995}

Alcohol is among one of the most common causes of migraines, particularly red wine and beer.
    {"Getting Healthy Now," book by Gary Null, 1999 - www.sevenstories.com}

The liver plays a role in migraines. If this vital organ is overloaded with toxic substances, it can cause inflammation that triggers migraine pain. To treat this problem avoid alcohol, caffeine, fat, and environmental chemical exposures.
    {"Migraine Treatments That Really Work," Jamison Starbuck, ND, Bottom Line Health newsletter, July 2002}

--- Cluster Headaches ---

Cluster headaches tend to come in cycles, hitting the sufferer once or twice a day. They are more likely to strike smokers and can be triggered by alcohol. Tyramine, in aged cheeses and red wine, is thought to dilate blood vessels, but people have been given tyramine to headache sufferers and they don't get headaches. Migraine afflict as many as 26 million and are increasing. The use of over-the-counter pain relievers may not be safe, and analgesics, like aspirin and acetaminophen can cause a rebound effect.
    {"The Pain is in the Brain," Discover magazine, March 2000, from headache researchers information}

Hangovers

In the U.S., the annual cost of hangover-related absenteeism and poor job performance is $148 billion.
    {Health magazine Oct. 2002}

"In the medical community, we tend to focus on alcoholics. But that's a very small number of people, whereas being hung over is a common thing," said Jeffrey Wiese, medical professor at the University of California. He and colleagues at a San Francisco veterans hospital reviewed medical studies on alcohol published between 1966 and 1999, and the study appeared in the June 6, Annals of Internal Medicine.

It is the light or light-to-moderate drinkers who cause the most problems. More than half of all alcohol-related problems in the workplace are caused by light drinkers, and 87 percent by light-to-moderate drinkers. The problems are mostly due to hangovers. Researchers also found that people with hangovers posed a danger to themselves and others long after their blood alcohol levels had returned to normal, suggesting that hangovers could be more insidious than actual inebriation. "Even if you don't feel severely hung over, your cognitive abilities, concentration and technical skills may actually be diminished," Wiese said.
    {"Hangovers - A Pain in the Workplace," alcoholism.about.com - June 2002}

Frequent hangover was associated with an increased mortality from respiratory diseases in Finland.
    {Int J Epidemiol. 1983}
    {"The Extent of the Problems and the Epidemiological Aspects of Alcohol Drinking," Department of Health and Human Services, 1990}

Smoking intensifies the problems of a hangover because of the additional toxins and further dehydration, and lack of sleep increases susceptibility to hangover. If you are a middle-aged male, do not start consuming alcohol regularly because it will increase your risk of mortality. Men who are regular drinkers or occasional drinkers have a slight higher risk of death from other causes other than heart disease. When compared with occasional drinkers, new drinkers do not have the reduction in death from coronary heart disease or cardiovascular mortality, and they have an increased risk of death from causes other than heart disease.
    {Annals of Internal Medicine 2000 and Alcohol 1999, Hint #1061, “Summary of Hangover Hints Previously Posted,” in ‘Nutrition Hints,’ Betty Kamen, PhD, and Dr. Michael Rosenbaum, MD, Jan. 2003} Editor's comment: The message is - don’t start now!

--- Causes of Hangovers ---

Alcohol is a diuretic; that is, it increases urination and dries you out, explains alcohol metabolism researcher James Schaefer, PhD, professor at the Union College in Schenectady, NY. Drinking plenty of water for a hangover the next morning helps compensate for dehydration. Impurities are added to alcoholic beverages during the distillation process, and these contribute to the nasty stomach ache you get with your hangover. These impurities are especially high in sweeter drinks and malt liquors. Drinking lots of water also dilutes the impurities.

A hangover is actually a toxic reaction to alcohol, or even a mild form of alcohol poisoning. Toxins can result from chemicals in the alcohol. Methanol and acetone can be found in drinks which some believe, to cause hangovers worse than the alcohol.
    {"Natural Hangover Help," herbsforhealth.about.com - July 2002}

Alcohol is a diuretic, a drug that increases urination and flushes fluid from the body. Drinking coffee the next morning only increases the problem because coffee is also a diuretic. There are mild poisons in some alcoholic drinks, such as methanol and acetone. Dr. Ian Calder of the London-based National Hospital for Neurosurgery has said these substances are responsible for hangovers rather than alcohol (ethanol). Drinks which are worse for hangovers are listed in descending order: brandy, red wine, rum, whiskey, white wine, gin and vodka. The British Medical Journal did tests that showed drinking bourbon whiskey is twice as likely to cause a hangover than the same amount of vodka. If you drink red wines and Chardonnay which is younger than three years (maturing in oak barrels), there will be a higher level of "nasties" that can cause hangovers. If left to mature, these nasties change to neutral substances.
    {"What causes hangovers?" www.drinkease.com - July 2002}

Evidence suggests that the chemical, acetaldehyde, which is produced by the human body as it processes alcohol, may cause cancer. In addition to the ‘morning after’ effects, it has been shown to damage certain genetic building blocks which are efficiently inserted into DNA.
    {“Cancer Added to Hangover Headaches,” American Chemical Society, in Science Daily, October 2002}

--- Hangover Remedies ---

Most hangover remedies are ineffective. The primary cause of hangovers are congeners which are byproducts of the fermentation process that give alcoholic beverages flavor, aroma and color. Some people can't enjoy one beer or glass of wine without suffering from a splitting headache.
    {"Chaser is serious hangover prevention," www.doublechaser.com - Oct. 2002}

http://www.jrussellshealth.com/alchead.html

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited May 2007
    NEVER blame the beer, it was something else

Beer is good
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited May 2007
    Beer hangovers are caused by one or all of three things:

1. Dehydration

2. Sugar Overdose which causes dehydration

3. So much alcohol has been injested that alcohol withdrawl occurs.

Fortunately you can do something about 1 & 2 before the next day occurs. Before going to bed drink 3 pints of water (sometimes hard to do but necessary) and a couple of your favorite analgesic i.e. Tylenol, aspirin, Advil.

#3 can be attacked after the fact by drinking one or two of whatever you drank the night before. It will stop the headache and that shakey feeling.

These are tried and true band-aids for over imbibing. Guaranteed to work better than not doing them.:D :p

Regardsless of how well tylenol makes you feel, You should never take tylenol or any acetaminophen derived meds while drinking alcohol or had ingested alcohol within 24 hrs. Acetaminophen causes liver damage specially when the liver is overburdened with alcohol.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited May 2007
    Another reason why alcohol hurts is that it kills millions of brain cells.
    This is what causes the headaches. The body pains/discomfort is caused by the dehydration alcohol causes. Drinking as much water as possible (not to exceed 1 gallon is a very good idea as long as you drink the water slowly.
    Drinking too much water quickly causes your kidneys to get rid of the excess water before the cells get a chance to use the needed water.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    Jstas wrote: »
    No dude, call me a killjoy but her warning is dead serious. Tylenol can mess you up to the point where you need a liver transplant. Ask anyone in a medial profession and they will tell you the same. Tylenol will also mess up your stomach. Ibuprofen (Advil), Naproxen (Aleve) and aspirin (Bayer) are not as serious as acetaminophen but can still cause you problems too. However, it is not recommended to administer any pain killer with alcohol. Tylenol can cause liver and stomach problems all by itself though. Alcohol will increase those problems. It will also cause liver and stomach issues with Ibuprofen. Alcohol and Aspirin can cause severe stomach bleeding and ulcers. Naproxen and alcohol can lead to heart attacks or stroke. I wouldn't use any pain killers until the next morning when most of the alcohol has been passed through your system. Painkillers get metabolized in your liver which is also where alcohol goes too. They get in there and overload the liver, it leads to liver toxicity. Liver cells start to die off and if too many die off, it goes necrotic which basically means your liver is rotting inside you. Not a position you want to be in over a night of heavy drinking.

The water idea, that's a good one though and has worked for me. I start it earlier though. I usually drink and entire glass of water every few drinks through out the night. Also, forget about the whole "break the seal" BS. Go to the bathroom early and often. Your body is only trying to regulate itself and remove the poison from your system. Holding it only makes things worse.

It's still an oxy. . . btw, Tylenol taken as prescribed with plenty of water is as safe as it gets. "Plenty of water," here are the key words. . . Popular info will have you believe it gets to the liver and it does in high doses but Tylenol is more likely to hurt your kidneys if you don't drink lots of water if taking Tylenol regularly for pain. I got that information from more than one doctor, I have three in my family.

The oxy part is that drinking lots of alcohol causes liver damage as does taking lots of tylenol . . .I wish I didn't have to spell that out and just have it be humorous as it was ment to be.
  • Jstas
    edited May 2007
    It's still an oxy. . . btw, Tylenol taken as prescribed with plenty of water is as safe as it gets. "Plenty of water," here are the key words. . . Popular info will have you believe it gets to the liver and it does in high doses but Tylenol is more likely to hurt your kidneys if you don't drink lots of water if taking Tylenol regularly for pain. I got that information from more than one doctor, I have three in my family.

Tylenol by itself is a safe and effective pain reliever. Tylenol, when taken with alcohol has the potential to be life threatening. Even the makers of the drug say that.

You may think it's funny and your statement did have it's funny merits but the potential for harm is very real and I wouldn't want to see anyone get messed up by it. I already have a relative who tried to escape her life through an overdose of a cold remedy that had Tylenol in it and an entire bottle of vodka and now she's paying a price that makes it seem like letting her accomplish her task would have been more humane.

Sorry to kill your thread but it's obvious to me that I am not the only one that has expressed concern.

• hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    Jstas wrote: »
    Tylenol by itself is a safe and effective pain reliever. Tylenol, when taken with alcohol has the potential to be life threatening. Even the makers of the drug say that.

You may think it's funny and your statement did have it's funny merits but the potential for harm is very real and I wouldn't want to see anyone get messed up by it. I already have a relative who tried to escape her life through an overdose of a cold remedy that had Tylenol in it and an entire bottle of vodka and now she's paying a price that makes it seem like letting her accomplish her task would have been more humane.

Sorry to kill your thread but it's obvious to me that I am not the only one that has expressed concern.

Easy there Bro, no biggy!:)
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited May 2007
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    Do not combine drinking alcohol and Tylenol at any doses. The two are metabolized by the same enzyme system in the liver. When the liver runs out of substrate to complete the metabolic process the Tylenol is left to damage the liver.

Listen to your friendly Pharmacist:)
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited May 2007
    Cinco De Mayo was yesterday???
    No excuses!
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited May 2007
    Excedrin Migrane: Green bottle, 2 white pills the night of. Easy as 1,2,3. :)
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited May 2007
    Damn, all this bickering has given me a migraine & I didn't even have a drink yet tonight. That's about to change.:D
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited May 2007
    I don't care about what any so-called experts might say. I've drank massive amounts of pure, unadulterated microbrew and never had more than a very mild discomfort the next day. I do drink lots of water though so maybe that helps. Mass produced beer will kill you the next day (actually even sooner than that) if you drink enough to get drunk on. I speak from an enormous amount of real-life experience I must say, not from reading what 'amateurs' say :D
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Shizelbs
    edited May 2007
    Aspirin also inhibits the metabolism of alcohol.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    Aspirin also inhibits the metabolism of alcohol.

Is that because they both thin the blood?
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited May 2007
    Drink Diet Coke, it never hurts!:p
    Carl

• Shizelbs
    edited May 2007
    Is that because they both thin the blood?

No. Thats an entirely different type of interaction, but is also a concern.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    No. Thats an entirely different type of interaction, but is also a concern.

When I used to drink, and I did it rather heavily back in the day, I used to bleed like hell and black an blue very easily. Booze is just bad stuff if you drink more than a couple, after some time it affects every cell in your body.