Oh great...Verizon can charge me for NOT making calls

cnjvh
cnjvh Posts: 253
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
Good thing I have their long distance plan...I guess :mad:

http://reporternews.com/news/2007/may/03/phone-companies-levy-new-fee-not-making-calls/
No earth robot is going to tell ME which button to press!!

--Stuff--
Front: Polk Audio RTi12
Center: Polk Audio CSi5
Surrounds: Polk Audio RTi8 (x4)
Sub: SVS PB10-ISD (Dual)
AVR: Denon AVR-3805
Blu-Ray: Panasonic BD30
Display: Sony KDL-55NX720B
STB: Xfinity X1DVR
Post edited by cnjvh on

Comments

• zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited May 2007
    Ahhhh! I really do hate those companies and markets that know their product is needed. It makes me so mad that they just rape the hard working people of America because they can. Ahhhh!
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited May 2007
    And people wonder why I completely abandoned having a landline.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited May 2007
    I suppose I understand their philosophy in a corporate kind of way, working for a baby bell like I do. You're still running through their switch to get out to the LD provider, so they're going to hit you with a user fee.

Now having said that, I don't agree with it either. They get enough user fee on your local service.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited May 2007
    I haven't had a landline for 15 years.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited May 2007
    I wonder with all the mid 20's to 30 something crowd with their feeling that they don't need a landline with a CellPhone thinking. With Phone Companies losing local services that they are needing to compensate for that loss?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Schwingding
    Schwingding Posts: 363
    edited May 2007
    Thats it. I'm cancelling our land line service today. Don't really need it anymore, and I'm not about to tolerate this.
    HT/music rig
    Panasonic PX60U 50" plasma
    Yamaha 5990 AVR
    Onix SP3 tube amp
    bunch of Outlaw 2200 monoblocks
    DUAL SVS PB12+/2 subs :eek:
    Denon 3910 DVD/SACD/DVD-A
    DirecTV HR10-250 DVR
    Onix Strata Mini mains
    Mirage OM10 surrounds
    Polk CSi5 center
    Polk SC80 rear surrounds
    Samsung BDP1000 blu-ray player

Bedroom rig
    Jolida SJ302a tube amp
    Denon 2910 universal player
    Onix Ref 1 monitors
    Velodyne minivee
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited May 2007
    Haven't had a land line ever here... since I got married over 4 years ago. We both have cell's and it's just peachy with us!
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited May 2007
    What a load of crap.

I say that, but I still have a landline....I am of the opposite end of the spectrum I guess, but I refuse to get a cell phone. Multi-year contract for a frickin phone........my @ss.....

My girl has one for emergencies, but she never uses it either.

We don't make many long distance calls over the phone line anyway. Most of our long distance communications are through skype or vent on the pc...
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • bobman1235
    edited May 2007
    You don't need to sign a contract to get anything. All contracts do is give you a rebate on the cost of the phone. If you want, you can buy a cheap phone at retail for a hundred bucks, and sign up for cell phone service with no contract whatsoever.

I love how people think they're such informed consumers and get all this outrage over cell phone contracts but have no idea that they're completely OPTIONAL.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited May 2007
    Exactly. If you purchase the phone on your own, eBay for example, you don't sign multi-year contracts....you simply get it turned on for a nominal fee. The phones are cheap because they get you with the commitment. No money is made on the actual phones, its made with your monthly bill.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited May 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Exactly. If you purchase the phone on your own, eBay for example, you don't sign multi-year contracts....you simply get it turned on for a nominal fee. The phones are cheap because they get you with the commitment. No money is made on the actual phones, its made with your monthly bill.

How true, and 100% correct. It's a bit scary just how few informed customers are out there.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited May 2007
    but you still have to pick a plan, no? amount of minutes per month, texting, etc?
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited May 2007
    I love how people think they're such informed consumers and get all this outrage over cell phone contracts but have no idea that they're completely OPTIONAL.

Wow, easy now. You could've just told me that instead of going to capt holier than thou smart @ss mode. Its cool though.

It's been years since I've looked into a cell phone as I sit at a desk with a phone in front of me all day, and have a phone at home as well (not much need for one.) I'm pretty positive that many moons ago you did have to sign up for a contract to get rolling........but I'm thinking back to the mid/late-90's I guess.

I never said I was the be all/end all informed customer. I gave my (now dead) reason why I don't have a cell phone, and have been rebutted. Thx for the input, now I can reevaluate.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • bobman1235
    edited May 2007
    Halo wrote: »
    but you still have to pick a plan, no? amount of minutes per month, texting, etc?

Correct, you're just not locked into it - you can cancel at any time without paying early termination fees and whatnot.

I'm sure the store you go to will resist you on this - it's their job to make you try and get locked into a contract - but they CAN do it if you ask.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited May 2007
    Thanks Bob :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited May 2007
    Verizon offers carrier-less DSL here, so when I moved into the house I just got that and kept my cell. I never used the landline at my parents house anyway.
    Ludicrous gibs!