I will go along with it.. cant hurt anything?!..

TennesseeOutlaw
TennesseeOutlaw Posts: 414
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
I just today received this email from a friend in N.W. Arkansas, and I have t say it sounds like a fairly decent plan. Cant hurt anyone to go along with this.. Just prepare ahead. Ya never know, worked back then, might work again.

Original Message
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 11:21 AM
To: Cermak, Louise; 'Cynthia McLeroy'; Johnson, Lisa A; James, Anne;
Jacobs, Erin; Belote, Terri; Gooding, Tracy; Guldi, Kay; Martin, Mila;
Eiland, Thelma; Edwards, Elizabeth; Hawley, Eva; Snow, Rosalind
Subject: FW: No Gas On May 15th ...

Lets all support the Gas out!! Prices are out of control!!!

NO GAS...On May 15th 2007

Don't pump gas on MAY 15th

In April 1997, there was a "gas out" conducted nationwide in
protest
of gas prices. Gasoline prices dropped 30 cents a gallon
overnight.

On May 15th 2007, all internet users are to not go to a gas
station
in protest of high gas prices. Gas is now over $3.00 a gallon in
most
places.

There are 73,000,000+ American members currently on the internet
network, and the average car takes about 30 to 50 dollars to fill
up.

If all users did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would take
$2,292,000,000.00 (that's almost 3 BILLION) out of the oil
companies
pockets for just one day, so please do not go to the gas station
on
May 15th and lets try to put a dent in the Middle Eastern oil
industry for at least one day.

If you agree (which I cant see why you wouldn't) resend this to
all
your contact list. With it saying, ''Don't pump gas on May 15th"

Josh
Post edited by TennesseeOutlaw on

Comments

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited May 2007
    *sigh*

*shakes head walking away*

I don't suppose things like fact checking and common sense are very high on your list of "things I go through before I believe some BS someone E-mails me"
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited May 2007
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited May 2007
    I say everyone should boycott buying private jets on that day as well. Those things use a ton of fuel. The oil industry will feel our wrath!!!! :rolleyes:
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited May 2007
    Just gotta wonder about those people in NW Arkansas..
  • jdhdiggs
    edited May 2007
    Since folks won't believe businessmen and economists over what's on the internet:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp

Buh-bye
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited May 2007
    you know its true the only reason prices are rising is because of demand. the more gas we buy the higher the prices. The old supply and demand at work. One day of even 25% of the normal gas purchases would make a huge dent.

there hasnt been an oil refinery built in north america in over 20 years. With the fire at the one in the southern US last week price will rise. Funny how the price of gas went up, when the price of crude oil fell
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited May 2007
    JimBRICK wrote: »
    you know its true the only reason prices are rising is because of demand. the more gas we buy the higher the prices. The old supply and demand at work. One day of even 25% of the normal gas purchases would make a huge dent.

That would only make sense if people did USE gas for one day. But the same idiot folks that come up with dumb ideas like that are the same dumb people that would fill up either the day before or the day after so it doesn't make one bit of difference.

Shifting when you buy gas by one day does absolutely nothing.
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited May 2007
    It's only going to push that essential gas purchase to another day. You're still going to buy the gas and you're still using gas for that day. The only way to actually put a dent in the oil companies' pockets is if everyone rode a bike to work that day. Try it - you might like it.

edit: hmm posting at the same time - looks like it's been said here a couple times now.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited May 2007
    OMFG!!! Seriously... IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT DAY YOU BUY THE GAS, UNLESS YOU STOP DRIVING, YOU'LL END UP BUYING IT THAT WEEK ANYWAY AND THE ONLY COMPANIES WON'T EVEN NOTICE OR CARE!!!!

Can I make it any clearer to you... Any decrease in one day will be made up on the days surrounding it. Such a small time period that a company like Exxon wouldn't even notice if EVERYONE in the US didn't fill up that day because they would HAVE to do it a couple of days before or a couple days after.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited May 2007
    LOL! You have to cut down actual consumption, not which day you buy it.

I forwarded this to 12 friends, and Bill Gates sent me a $40 Applebees gift certificate.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited May 2007
    PolkThug wrote: »
    LOL! You have to cut down actual consumption, not which day you buy it.

I forwarded this to 12 friends, and Bill Gates sent me a $40 Applebees gift certificate.

Suhweet! Not only did you get $40 bones for Applebee's, you proved you have IQ higher than Corky's!
    :p
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited May 2007
    wELL i'M A really GOOD aMERICAN THEN, i HAVEN'T BOUGHT GAS IN A MONTH! Damn caps lock.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited May 2007
    I think we should do a Gas Out every other day during the month of May... Just make sure you get a couple spare 5 gallon cans to stock up for the days you don't buy gas...

Or have you heard about the analogy of the eggs? Yah... Just like that.
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• jdhdiggs
    edited May 2007
    MrNightly wrote: »
    I think we should do a Gas Out every other day during the month of May... Just make sure you get a couple spare 5 gallon cans to stock up for the days you don't buy gas...

Or have you heard about the analogy of the eggs? Yah... Just like that.

Again, I seriously hope you're being sarcastic here but I don't see any smiley's.... :confused:

Eggs? Now I'm really confused...
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited May 2007
    Threads like this show why we have a lower, middle, and upper class. Some people can't make dollars or sense.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited May 2007
    Or you can do as I have done and move within walking distance from work :) Nothing like my 1-2 minute commute to work each morning....I'd guess I spend 10-15$ a month on gas.

We need public transportation in America, and not the 1/2 assed jokes that most cities provide; real, usable, convenient public transportation. Only then will we be able to begin weaning America from Exxon's teat...
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Nisqually Dave
    Nisqually Dave Posts: 220
    edited May 2007
    Yes, we are really going to hurt those executives when they collect their multi million dollar bonuses every year, they might even lose ten dollars out of there bonuses.

Please save the Oil company executives from poverty!!
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited May 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    Again, I seriously hope you're being sarcastic here but I don't see any smiley's.... :confused:

Eggs? Now I'm really confused...

Don't you remember this the last time May 15th rolled around? Some guy gave the Farmer and egg's analogy to lower the prices at the supermarket? I'll have to dig that link up...

And please... smiley or not, surely you jest... :D

Behold... the famous Egg story.. :D:D:Dhttp://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40290&highlight=eggs
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2007
    We should be more worried about supplying the middle east with cash rather than the gas prices at home. Buy a moped, ride a bike, walk, make efficient use of trips, etc!
    madmax

Oh, and the thing I see that gets me the most, if you are a 5'1" female who weighs maybe 100 pounds (or similar), driving alone, don't bring that suburban... jeesh
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • jdhdiggs
    edited May 2007
    MrNightly wrote: »
    Don't you remember this the last time May 15th rolled around? Some guy gave the Farmer and egg's analogy to lower the prices at the supermarket? I'll have to dig that link up...

And please... smiley or not, surely you jest... :D

Behold... the famous Egg story.. :D:D:Dhttp://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40290&highlight=eggs

Gotcha... Yeah, that one makes as much sense as this BS. On aggregate, the supermarket/gas station is still selling the same amount regardless of when or how you buy your eggs/gas. They could care less. The only way to decrease price is to reduce aggregate consumption overall.

As for the smiley thing, based on today, no one can be too sure....
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited May 2007
    I found this info in a different forum discussing the exact same thing - these statements are not mine!
    "In the USA, some of you may want to only buy gas at Citgo as it comes from Venezuela and does not line the pockets of the Saudis. I'd take Chavez over the Saudis who finance jihadic religious schools around the world, any day.

While I'm all for public transit and biking, for many people the bus or train doesn't run to their workplace and/or there's no showers at their workplace if they get sweaty and stinky from biking in the summer heat if they live very far. For those people, boycotting Exxon or whatever might be a more doable option.

It's down to which do you hate least - Chavez or the Saudis. Personally I don't see a lot of (read: any) terrorists coming from Venezuela and bombing Western embassies, metros, and skyscrapers. Not supporting the Saudis seems to make more sense at this point in time during a transition to US energy independence. So, buy Citgo."

They have a point aboot where the money is going. It isn't meant to change gas prices - just who gets the money. I like it.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited May 2007
    The only thing that I've heard that's different than the "don't buy gas on xx/xx/xx" is do not buy gas at all from Exxon/Shell to where they start losing the money and have to price point their gas lower to get consumers back.

True you're still using gas, but if people hit the largest company hardest, wouldn't they have no other choice other than to lower prices?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Nisqually Dave
    Nisqually Dave Posts: 220
    edited May 2007
    for all those on the East coast, driving is not a big deal everything is close at hand, and so forth but once you cross the Mississippi, to go anywhere take long distances.

There is no mass transit to get you from one area to another. And the cost of mass transit that no one uses is out of sight. They are building a light rail system around seattle and tacoma. great system and actually is almost a quarter full with travelers. of course for every rider who pays his ticket the public pays twice as much in costs. In other words the riders ticket is susidized by the public to the tune of two thirds more than he pays, and he still pays a fortune.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited May 2007
    Hey Brett! Change yer sig! You ain't in Lisle no mo!

lol!

How'd the move go / end up?
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited May 2007
    brettw22 wrote: »
    The only thing that I've heard that's different than the "don't buy gas on xx/xx/xx" is do not buy gas at all from Exxon/Shell to where they start losing the money and have to price point their gas lower to get consumers back.

True you're still using gas, but if people hit the largest company hardest, wouldn't they have no other choice other than to lower prices?

Read the Snopes article linked above, it discusses both sitautions (avoiding gas on a certain day, and from a certain vendor).
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited May 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Read the Snopes article linked above, it discusses both sitautions (avoiding gas on a certain day, and from a certain vendor).
    I skimmed and didn't wanna read that whole thing......lol.......oh well.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,668
    edited May 2007
    Brett.....beware the Danites.
    Sal Palooza