Locked 6-1/2 " drivers MW6511

Options
wrich22
wrich22 Posts: 36
edited May 2007 in Troubleshooting
I have a pair SDA -1c's with 3 drivers locked in place in the left speaker, they are not the original drivers, which I can tell by the stamp markings on the back.

Is it possibile by disecting the speaker to determine mode of failure

I am trying to determine whether the drivers were fried, do to DC amp failure, or overdriving heat, or locked up due to excessive G-force in shipping

The right speaker has no damage and has all original drivers.

I Have replaced the bad drivers at my cost and everything is fine.

Seller claims they were in excellent condition when he shipped them.

Seller did not file a UPS damage claim after I informed, of the damage

I have filed a claim with Pay Pal to have the seller at least pay for the replacements.

My intuition tells me some one took out the good drivers and replaced them
with burnt out one's.

Then some how the power seller got them and put on e-bay

Seller claims they were his personal speakers, however he lost the cable

It would be nice If I could prove the speakers were burnt out before shipping

Thanks in advance for your help

Bill
Post edited by wrich22 on

Comments

• michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Most of the time when a driver in any of the sda models gets locked up like that it's due to shipping. Unfortunately, any harsh bumps can cause them to freeze up and then they're toast. This is the main reason why a lot of sellers here refuse to ship sda's or older model polks. I think it has something to do with the glue breaking down and the voice coils becoming misaligned but I could be way off with that one.

What condition are the boxes in (the ones they shipped in)? Take pictures of them now for future reference and to help build a case with ups.

Good luck.
  • wrich22
    wrich22 Posts: 36
    edited May 2007
    Options
    The right speaker had two MW6511's and two MW6510's in excellent condition

The left speaker had these drivers.

What conclusion can you draw from this

Bill

Attachment
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Monitor 10 drivers, doesn't mean that they weren't working prior to shipping though. Looks like one of your speakers got roughed up, while the other survived. I would trust the seller, and seek some relief from him.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,851
    edited May 2007
    Options
    The 6510 is probably original as Polk often used drivers stamped with another model number. The 6503's don't belong in 1C's. Someone swapped those drivers at some point. However, I agree that the likely cause of frozen drivers is from shipping.

What MWxxxx drivers did you replace the bad ones with? Did you make a cable?

Enjoy your speakers, be happy and forget blaming the seller.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I 2nd F1nut. Shipping is a major risk. That's why these guys and gals here drive forever and a day to pickup their speakers.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Most likely the shipping. The glue holding the rear structure is very old now and lets go and locks the voice coil if they get a jolt. This does not mean a bad seller or shipping abuse, it just happens. The drivers always seem to show up somewhere used so I wouldn't worry too much. If the seller said they were good when he shipped them I would believe it. Maybe he will help you out on the cost.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D