Oakland Bridge Collapses

Demiurge
Demiurge Posts: 10,874
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
Link

Wow, A fire weakens a structure to the point of collapse. I NEVER heard of that happening before. Have you? :rolleyes:

It's probably just a big conspiracy....;)

PH2007050100291.jpg
Post edited by Demiurge on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited May 2007
    I saaw that this morning, just insane.

Also, just noticed you made guru status. Congrats Demi.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • opus
    opus Posts: 1,252
    edited May 2007
    total B.S. Fire doesn't weaken steel. Just ask Charlie Sheen.
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited May 2007
    opus wrote: »

How true so what really happen? :rolleyes:

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited May 2007
    Wow! Lucky nobody was killed.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2007
    I wonder how long its going to take for somebody to blame Bush. Itll probably be Rosie O'Donnell.

"Bush blew it up! Carl Rove planned it so they could give the re-building contract to Halliburton."

After all, he blew up the World Trade Center AND the New Orleans levies. What's one bridge?
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2007

. . . or Rosie O'(big mouth)Donnell
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited May 2007
    I heard the guy driving the truck was a vegan, can't trust someone that don't eat meat...not even lamb.
    v
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2007
    I blame Big Truck and Big Bridge, personally. :p
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited May 2007
    I actually saw this happen early Sunday morning....

Went clubbing with my girlfriend on Saturday night and after dropping her off at her home in San Francisco, I headed eastbound across the Bay Bridge at about 3:30am or so. As I emerge from the lower deck of the Bay Bridge in Oakland, I noticed this huge orange glow in the sky....and that's when I noticed the huge fireball in the distance. Normally, I need to take that particular freeway overpass to get home, but I used another freeway instead of going near that infernal. I tried to find out what was going on while on the way home, but perhaps it was early Sunday morning, all of the AM news radio stations were broadcasting pre-recorded programs. So I didn't find out what happened until the next morning.

This is the same area where the "Cypress Structure" (a double-decker freeway system) pancaked on top of each other during the 1989 San Francisco earthquake. If you look at the photos, you'd noticed the new concrete "earthquaked retrofitted" supports underneath the concrete road surface. About 10 years ago, a similar accident happened at this freeway junction, aka "The Maze", that left a huge burn mark on one of the steel supports. It was only painted over a couple of years back.

"The Maze" is consisted of Interstate 80, Interstate 580, and Interstate 880. It leads to the toll gates of the San Francisco Bay Bridge. Interstate 580 is the only freeway in the US, as far as I know, that doesn't allow big rigs. With the overpass gone, now big rigs are allowed on Interstate 580 until 8pm of each day. It's estimated that the Bay Area lose about $6 million each day from the loss of that collapsed freeway overpass.

You'd think last Monday would be a nightmare for commuters, but I drove to SF for work and no backup at all at the Bay Bridge. Much of the public transportation system was free to passengers on that day.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited May 2007
    I wouldn't be surprise if the driver doesn't know the rules of the road, or speaks English.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited May 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprise if the driver doesn't know the rules of the road, or speaks English.

I've heard that he had an accident last June involving spilling chemicals into a drainage.
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited May 2007
    Big Brother did it.

Didn't this happen in San-Fran a few days ago?
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited May 2007
    There first several drivers reportedly drove through the flames. I'm not sure what to feel more sorry for. The potential fallout on the careers of other 2nd time felons across the country earning a living by driving (hazardous) tractor trailers or the reports that world shortages will take several months to locate steel. The use of steel already allocated to other highway repairs is under consideration. You just know that Congress is going to play foosball with this.

SoCal went to bat and repaired the I-10 in 66 days after the Northridge quake. That was a stellar moment. Make incentives for the contractor to finish early and you get the job done.

mnmazemapyv9.jpg
  • bobman1235
    edited May 2007
    I can't give California credit for much, but they do know how to fix and maintain their roadways.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    I can't give California credit for much, but they do know how to fix and maintain their roadways.

. . . so you are saying they are very LIBERAL with their roadways! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited May 2007
    Fire absolutely weakens steel. Ask any fire fighter. The heat softens the steel, and then it bends real easy, and gives way.:rolleyes:
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited May 2007

It does melt steel
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2007
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Fire absolutely weakens steel. Ask any fire fighter. The heat softens the steel, and then it bends real easy, and gives way.:rolleyes:

Missed the sarcasm, huh? ;)
  • bobman1235
    edited May 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Missed the sarcasm, huh? ;)

Seems to be a lot of that going around.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited May 2007
    Didn't fallow the link. YES I DID:p
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited May 2007
    But Does Fire Melt Steel?

Sure, it can weaken steel up to 50%... but melt it? Just not earthly possible.

:)
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• MrNightly
    edited May 2007
    6atttus.jpg

This one burned for almost 2 days!!! And still didn't colapse. So please don't make it out like it's stupid to think that a steel building won't collapse on it's own, even when completely ravaged with fire!

Only 2 steel framed buildings in the history of the world have collapsed due to fire...

Just a little FYI from your friendly local think outside the box guy... ;):D
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited May 2007
    A gas tanker crash took out an overpass by the Cowboys stadium a couple of years ago. Damn thing burned for hours.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • bobman1235
    edited May 2007
    MrNightly wrote: »
    Only 2 steel framed buildings in the history of the world have collapsed due to fire...

Remarkably, completely made up YouTube videos don't always have all the facts.

Oh, and this too.

Do we have to start this again?
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2007
    Grab the net Bob, I got a lunker here. *reels*

What is this fact from? I'd be very interested in knowing how on earth truth can be claimed in this comment.

Also, fires all burn different. There was an accelerant in this fire (fuel) and the other (jet fuel, burns very hot), so no, it's not out of the box as much as it's just out of this world, Uranus to be exact. ;)

We bend steel with a torch here all the time. It's malleable -- when you put hundreds of tons of sheer weight and pressure on heated (weakened) steel something is going to give, the weak point.

So yeah, it's stupid.
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2007
    But Does Fire Melt Steel?

Sure, it can weaken steel up to 50%... but melt it? Just not earthly possible.

:)

lol....what do you think the steel in the WTC was before it showed up at the fabricating facility? It was molten metal at one point that was likely hot or cold rolled steel.

Steel is my bread and butter, so I do know what I'm talking about.
  • MrNightly
    edited May 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Remarkably, completely made up YouTube videos don't always have all the facts.

Oh, and this too.

Do we have to start this again?

Nah, we don't have to start anything again... ;)

But for what's it's worth.. the second building you linked was "Severely Damaged" and the first link, clearly stated in the article that it was a building that hadn't been properly built!!! But whatever.. I just wanted to stir the pot.. so easy to do around here :D

I should have said originally that no modern built SKYSCRAPER building in the history of the world... I poorly picked my choice of words... forgive me.
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited May 2007
    This man was seen running away from the scene!:D
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2007
    Nah, we don't have to start anything again... ;)

But for what's it's worth.. the second building you linked was "Severely Damaged" and the first link, clearly stated in the article that it was a building that hadn't been properly built!!! But whatever.. I just wanted to stir the pot.. so easy to do around here :D

I should have said originally that no modern built SKYSCRAPER building in the history of the world... I poorly picked my choice of words... forgive me.

Because jets are slamming into skyskrapers all the time, right? :rolleyes:
  • MrNightly
    edited May 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Grab the net Bob, I got a lunker here. *reels*

What is this fact from? I'd be very interested in knowing how on earth truth can be claimed in this comment.

Also, fires all burn different. There was an accelerant in this fire (fuel) and the other (jet fuel, burns very hot), so no, it's not out of the box as much as it's just out of this world, Uranus to be exact. ;)

We bend steel with a torch here all the time. It's malleable -- when you put hundreds of tons of sheer weight and pressure on heated (weakened) steel something is going to give, the weak point.

So yeah, it's stupid.

I'll get you a link to where I got this info from when I get home from work tonight.. it actually came from a well respected professor of BYU. Not YouTube.. but thanks anyways! :P

Thanks for asking, instead of just bashing! :D Oh wait that was later on :)... it's all good my man.
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805