Center Speaker

black7321
black7321 Posts: 2
edited September 2002 in Speakers
I need help from anyone on buying the correct center speaker for my HT. I am looking at CSi30 or CSi40 center speaker. Can anyone tell me about either speaker and what you think of either one. My HT at this time is a Sony DE945 at 110 watts per channel with a Sony DVD s560. I have a pair of RT600's for rear speakers and two pair of RT400's as front speakers. Also a Boston CR1 for a center speaker. I want to replace it with a Polk. Need help please.

Thanks

Ken
Post edited by black7321 on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2002
    My personal opinion would be the CSi40 as the drivers are roughly the same size as your other speaks.....maybe see if you could pick up a used CS400 or 400i

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • nico
    nico Posts: 104
    edited September 2002
    How do you like your sony str945? Do you like it? Does it match well with your speaker set up? I'm having trouble deciding between the 945 or the onkyo tx-sr600. Your opinion will be greatly appreciated. Thank you NICO
    SONY 4ES RECEIVER
    EARTHQUAKE 5CH AMP.
    DENON DVD 2200
    SONY 400 DISC CHANGER
    RTI50, CS400I, RTI38, RT55I, INFINITY IL SUB
    MONSTER CABLES
    SONY LCD 50" VEGA
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited September 2002
    I agree with Troy on the center channel thing.You know Polk has a system builder,Id take advantage of it.It on this web site if you didn't know.

nico,
    matching the right amp/receiver with a given pair of speakers isn't an easy drop of the hat thing.The usual advice I give is experience everything in your given price class and if possible, take one of the pairs of speakers with you to hear how they sound on your stuff.

I sometimes wish everyone had the opportunities I have had to experience different amps/receivers/wire/sources and such.It would be nice if stores would allow you to take it home to give it a try before you buy.But asking as many questions as possible and then going out there and getting some hands on will guide you in the right direction.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited September 2002
    HE'S BACK!

(refering to mantis)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited September 2002
    angel.gif
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • F1nut
    edited September 2002
    Hmmm.....Angel? I don't know if I buy that one. ;)

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nascarmann
    edited September 2002
    Hmmm.....Angel? I don't know if I buy that one.

Why not :D
  • F1nut
    edited September 2002
    On general principal.......:p

President of Club Polk

• nascarmann
    edited September 2002
    OK.....your right;)
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    Damn...........................left me without words:p
    Dan
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited September 2002
    Originally posted by nico
    How do you like your sony str945? Do you like it? Does it match well with your speaker set up? I'm having trouble deciding between the 945 or the onkyo tx-sr600. Your opinion will be greatly appreciated. Thank you NICO

Go with the Onkyo, or Sony ES if you really want Sony. For that price range I'd go with the Onkyo.
  • nico
    edited September 2002
    mantis, thanks for your advice. I think I'll try to listen to both of them and compare. Do you guys think sony makes better receiver now than they use to? I just don't know why sony has such a bad rep. But I would really like to know from any of you guys out there, which co. makes a better receiver in your opinion. Thank you. NICO
    SONY 4ES RECEIVER
    EARTHQUAKE 5CH AMP.
    DENON DVD 2200
    SONY 400 DISC CHANGER
    MONSTER CABLES
    SONY LCD 50" VEGA
  • F1nut
    edited September 2002
    nico,

IMHO, the regular Sony stuff today is made cheaper than years ago. If you want a Sony go with the ES series which very respectable gear, better than Onkyo. The ES gear cost more for a reason.

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    edited September 2002
    Agreed...the ES line also has a really good sound quality,one of the better sounding receivers on the market.
    Dan
  • nico
    edited September 2002
    Thanks everyone for all of your insight. I really appreciate it. NICO
    SONY 4ES RECEIVER
    EARTHQUAKE 5CH AMP.
    DENON DVD 2200
    SONY 400 DISC CHANGER
    MONSTER CABLES
    SONY LCD 50" VEGA
  • black7321
    black7321 Posts: 2
    edited September 2002
    Nico your answer to the question you posted about my Sony 945.

I love it and it works well with the Polks I have. I have read some negative things in this room about Sony but I have to go with what my ears tell me when I listen to music or watch a movie . The sound is great and very clear. The 945 is just one step behind the ES line and I must say the ES line is really good.

I am running four RT400's and two RT600's with four Boston surround speakers with a Sony DVD and the 945. Also a Polk CSi40 for a center and a Polk Sub. Just go with your ears and listen.

Good Luck:lol:
  • nico
    edited September 2002
    Thanks for getting back with me. MY brother has the sony 945 and he also says he likes it. But I think I'm going to listen to the 4es and the 5es. They are a little pricey at 999.00 but I think I can save some money by christmas. I also want to listen to the denon 3802 it's in the same price range and it almost has the same specs. as the 4es. Let me ask you or any one else out there, the sony has a switch on the back for 4ohms or 8ohms does it mean that if you have speakers that are 4ohms to set the switch to 4ohms or 8ohms to 8ohms or can you set it to 4ohms even if you have speakers that are rated 8ohms? I thought maybe if you set it to 4ohms your receiver doesn't have to work as hard if your speakers are rated 8ohms. Please shed some lights to my confusion. Thanks NICO
    SONY 4ES RECEIVER
    EARTHQUAKE 5CH AMP.
    DENON DVD 2200
    SONY 400 DISC CHANGER
    MONSTER CABLES
    SONY LCD 50" VEGA